(单词翻译:单击)
Yeah, you were just talking to Mr. Mathis, huh? I was talking to Mr. Mathis.
嗯 你刚才在跟马西斯说话对吧 我是在跟马西斯聊天
My gosh. That was amazing. Yeah. What a great guy. What a brave man. Yeah.
天啊 太棒了 对 他人真好 很勇敢 对
Um, hi. Hi. Yeah, it seems like the last time I saw you,
呃 嗨 嗨 嗯 上次见你的时候
you said we were going to do the show in the White House, and we were all excited about that.
你还说我们要在白宫录节目呢 我们当时可激动了
We would have, too. Yeah, we were going to do that. Yeah.
本来是会的 对啊 原本打算那么做的 对
Well, it didn't work out that way. No, it didn't.
不过事情没按预想的发展 是啊
So I thought I'd come back and see how you're doing. Yeah, thanks. Thanks.
所以我想回来看看你过得怎么样 哦 谢谢 谢谢
Not so good. Not so good. Well, but, you know, I'm trying to stay in a really positive frame of mind.
不太好 不太好 不过 你知道 我一直想努力保持积极乐观的心态
You know, I always say when people ask me, how are you?
每当人们问我你好吗的时候
I say, well, as a person, I'm OK. But as an American, I am really concerned.
我都会说 作为个人来讲 我很好 但作为一名美国人来讲 我真的很担忧
I'm a little tiny less concerned after Alabama because I think it was a great example of people understanding what was at stake,
阿拉巴马州选举过后(在阿拉巴马州选举中民主党获胜) 我稍微不那么担心了 因为这件事表明人们知道我们的当务之急
and working hard, and actually turning out and voting.
都很努力地去投票选举
Nothing is more important than that. So it was positive. Yeah, that showed that.
这比什么都重要 所以这是积极的一面 嗯 确实
So let's-- I mean you talk about it in your book-- but let's talk about--
我们 你在书中写到 不过我们来聊聊
so you were here three weeks before the election. Yes. You were confident. I was.
大选前三周你来过这里 对 你当时很自信 没错
I was confident. A lot of people were confident. I mean, it seemed like it was a for-sure thing.
我也很相信你会赢 很多人都相信你 感觉这万无一失
I mean, what a shock. What happened?
可是 结果真惊人啊 到底发生了什么?
What was going through your mind when you saw what was happening?
你看到结果后心里在想什么?
Well, it's one of the reasons why I decided to write the book-- because I didn't know what happened.
嗯 这就是我决定写这本书的原因之一 因为我根本就不知道发生了什么
I knew there were certain factors at work, and after the election I learned a lot more about the impact that they had.
我知道肯定有一些因素与工作相关 选举过后 我意识到这些因素的影响不容小觑
I mean, it was a perfect storm. I mean, there were a lot of currents of resentment and anger about all kinds of things.
当时就像一场完美风暴 到处都是人们的仇恨和愤怒
In the country, there was a lot of sexism and misogyny--
美国有很多性别歧视和厌女症
which now, thankfully, we're kind of pulling out of the dark and talking about.
不过谢天谢地 现在我们把这些问题拿到明面儿上来探讨解决
There was voter suppression-- people trying to prevent other Americans from being able to vote.
当时还有选民镇压 人们试图让其他美国人无法投票
There was the FBI's intervention on October 28,
10月28号有联邦调查局介入
after I saw you, which had a devastating effect.
那是在我见过你之后了 它的影响极其恶劣
Because people thought, oh my gosh, I can't vote for somebody who is once again under FBI investigation,
因为人们会想 天啊 我不会再给又一次被联邦调查局调查的人投票
even though there was-- again-- nothing to it.
即便事实再一次是空穴来风
And then there were the Russians. The Russians.
紧接着又有俄罗斯人 俄罗斯人
And the Russians were much more involved than even I understood.
俄罗斯人的参与度远超过我的想象
And so, after the election, and after the real devastating shock of it, I kept saying, well, what happened?
所以大选过后 我遭受到毁灭性的打击以后 我一直在说 到底发生了什么?
You know, because I wanted to understand it. Because obviously, I made mistakes.
因为我想要搞清楚 很明显 我犯错了
My campaign made mistakes. Every candidate, every campaign, does.
我的竞选团队也犯错了 所有候选人 所有竞选活动都错了
And I wanted to be as candid about those as possible.
我想尽量坦率面对这一切
But I knew that there was more at work. And so, it wasn't just about me and my election.
但我知道工作上的因素更大 这不单单是我和我的选举
It really was about these forces at play. So I decided I'd dive in and write this book.
而是各种政治力量之间的角逐 所以我决定要深入探讨 写下这本书
It was really painful. I mean, I'd write and I'd literally have to go and lie down.
这个过程很痛苦 我写作的过程中需要时不时躺下来休息会儿
It was so painful. But it ended up being cathartic.
真的很痛苦 但最后它让我宣泄了所有的情绪
And so, writing the book, going for walks in the woods, playing with my dogs, doing yoga,
所以 写书 去丛林里散步 跟我的狗狗玩耍 做瑜伽
seeing my grandkids, cleaning my closets, drinking chardonnay-- I mean, all of that-- That all helps.
去看望我的孙子 整理衣橱 喝点夏敦埃(无甜味白葡萄酒) 所有这些都很有帮助
That all helped a lot. And during that time--is there any part of you now, or during that time, that you're just like,
作用很大 那段时间 现在或者那时候你心里有没有一小部分觉得
aah. I'm glad. I mean, your whole life has been that. So are you happy now to just be a person and have freedom?
啊 真开心啊 我是说 你终其一生都在为这个目标奋斗 所以现在做个普通人 拥有自由 觉得开心吗?
Because that must have been exhausting. It's great. I get to see my friends, my family.
因为竞选总统肯定是劳心费神 感觉很好 我能去拜访朋友 看望家人
I get to do things that I really enjoy. On the other hand, I see things happening that I know are bad for the country.
能做我真正喜欢的事情 另一方面 我又会看到很多对这个国家不利的事情在发生
And one of the reasons I was so thrilled about Doug Jones getting elected is that, all through his campaign,
我之所以很开心道格·琼斯当选是因为 在他整个竞选过程中
he talked about reauthorizing the Children's Health Insurance Program,
他一直在说要重新授权“儿童医保项目”
something that I helped to start in the late '90s, which was totally bipartisan.
这是我在90年代末期帮忙成立的项目 那时候两党都很支持
And nine million kids get their health care because of it. And it's going to run out.
它让九百万儿童获得了医保 而这个项目现在要到期了
And kids are going to lose their health care.
孩子们可能会失去医保
So I was so proud and grateful to see somebody say, hey, we've got to get this reauthorized.
所以我很开心也很骄傲 能看到有人说 嘿 我们一定要给它重新授权
So I do see things that go on every day that really disturb me a lot.
所以每天我确实会看到让我极其心烦的事情
And obviously, I think, I wouldn't have done that, or boy, I can't believe they're doing this.
很明显 如果我是总统 我肯定不会那么做 或者 天啊 真不敢相信他们会这么干
So, yeah, it does bother me still. That must happen every five minutes. It does. It does.
所以 这些事情还是会让我烦恼 那肯定每五分钟就会听到让你烦的事 确实 对
That's why I'm on a kind of news diet. Because I can't watch it all the time because I really do get agitated.
所以我现在都不让自己看新闻 我不能一直看 因为它确实会让我焦躁不安
Yeah. I mean, I can imagine. I feel the same way because it upsets me so much.
嗯 我能想象 我跟你感觉一样 它也会让我很烦
And when you see what's going on-- and you can't write some of this stuff.
你眼睁睁看着它发生 但你又不能写这些东西
You're just thinking, if this was a movie, people would go, oh that-- there's no way. That would--
你会想 如果这是一部电影 人们会觉得 哦 真是 那不可能
And it just continues to go on. I mean, do you think that he's really going to last four years?
可事实依然在继续发展 你觉得他真的能撑过这四年的任期吗?
Well, you know, I can't answer that. I can't predict it.
嗯 这个不好说 我没法预测
But I believe that it really does come down to both the investigation that's going on
但我相信 归根结底就是两件事 一是现在正在进行的调查
and to whether Republicans will decide that they have to put our country before their party.
二是共和党人是否会决定将国家放在党派之上
And I hope that enough of them will decide to do that, because it is disturbing.
我希望多数共和党人确实会这么做 因为很不安
And it's obviously upsetting to me because I see things happening around the world that are bad for our country,
我看到世界上发生着一些对我们国家很不利的事情
that are dangerous, that really pose a threat.
很危险的事 对我们形成了威胁 这明显让我很烦恼
And then I see all this happening inside our country.
然后我又看到国内的这些局面
And when they push through this tax plan, it's going to hurt so many people.
他们试图通过税改计划 这会伤害到很多人
Look, it's going to help a lot of really rich people.
它只会帮助很多超级富裕的人
That's who they care about. That's who their donors are.
他们就只关心这一类人 因为富人是他们的资金捐赠者
But it's going to hurt-- I mean, can you imagine taking away the deduction for teachers who buy supplies for their classrooms?
但它会伤害到 你能想象他们拿走给学生买供应品的老师的减除额吗?
Who thinks like that? And so, there's a lot that's going to end up hurting people.
谁会那么想呢?还有很多事最后都会伤害到很多人
And then, obviously, flaming the flames of white supremacy and misogyny
很明显 助长白人至上主义 厌女症
and homophobia and everything else that is, unfortunately, at work.
和恐同性恋症等等的气焰 很不幸 这都是工作
So I think the investigation will go on, and that will lead where it leads.
我觉得调查会继续 最终会挖出真相
But at some point, Republicans who control the Congress have to say, we don't really want to let this go on.
但在某种程度上 掌控着国会的共和党人得说 我们不想再这么发展下去了
We have to investigate. Or we have to win back the House and the Senate next November, which is something I hope we do.
我们得去调查 或者说明年11月我们得重新赢回参议院和众议院 我真的希望如此
And then, we can get back to doing the people's business.
那时候我们再回去为人民办事
All right. We have to take a break.
好 我们得休息一下
I have to say, I don't want to-- because I don't believe that you can group a whole bunch of people together--
我想说 我不想 因为我不相信你能把一群人聚到一起
there are some Republicans that are really good, good people and have good intentions.
有些共和党人真的非常非常好 他们的意图也很好
So it is the party, the Republican party-- this is not what it was.
所以是党派 是共和党跟以前不一样了
This is not what it should be. And so, I do not want to bash Republicans.
这不是它本该有的样子 所以我并不想痛斥共和党人
I don't want to bash anybody. I think that's important for me to say.
我不想斥责任何人 这个我一定要说清楚
Because I obviously wanted you to be president and believed in you and have strong opinions.
因为很明显 我希望你能当总统 我相信你 我有自己的想法
But I also want to say that I don't judge everybody by this president.
但我并不想因为总统这事责怪任何人