(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎大家收看今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!
Americans use this idiom in both business and personal conversations:
美国人在进行商业会话和私人谈话的时候会使用这个习语 。
KNOW THE ROPES
了解内情
I get to go to New York City next month for the first time.
下个月我要去纽约了,这还是我第一次去 。
I am really excited, but also nervous about finding my way around.
我真的很开心,但也有点担心如何找到正确的路线 。
Here is what you should do. Call my friend Sierra.
你应该这么做 。给我的朋友茜拉打电话 。
She has lived in New York for more than 15 years.
她住在纽约超过15年了 。
She knows the ropes, and she would be happy to show you around.
她熟悉路线,她也会很开心带你四处逛逛的 。
If you know the ropes, you know how to do something, or how to get something done.
如果你了解内情,你就会知道如何做这个事情,或者说如何完成某件事 。
You know about a certain situation or how a job works. This idiom probably comes from sailing.
你了解某个特定的情况,或知道某项工作到底是怎样运行的 。这个习语可能来自于航海 。
To ba a good sailor, one must know how to tie and use the ropes and sails.
一个人要想成为一名优秀的水手,他必须知道如何系紧和使用绳索和船帆 。
If you are good at something, you can say you know the ropes!
假若你擅长于某件事,你就可以使用这个习语了!
And that’s English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!