波士顿法律第二季(MP3+中英字幕):第6集 复活节庆典
日期:2017-01-24 10:20

(单词翻译:单击)

You want to run that by me again?
再说一次?
We have a group of complaining parents.
我们的客户是一群生气的家长
They're suing their elementary
他们要起诉他们孩子的小学
school over the Halloween pageant.
所举办的复活节庆典
In particular...
理由是...
they don't like the witch.
他们不喜欢那个女巫
There are two groups of parents who are upset.
这些愤怒的家长分成两方
One is Christian.
一方是基督教徒
The other group is, uh... well...
另外一方是,呃...是...
Yes?
什么?
Witches.
女巫
Did you say witches?
你刚才说得是女巫吗?
I said witches.
没错
Which group does the firm represent?
我们要代表哪一方?
Well, actually, both.
事实上,两方都是
Candy corn?
要糖吗?
It's just, though they are
他们只是因为相同的目的
together for the purpose of this motion,
而走到一起
they're not so much together.
其实他们之间的关系并不和睦
And I think having two
而我想如果各派一个律师的话
lawyers, in case there are conflicts.
可能互相产生冲突
Yes, and you think the senior partner
没错,而你认为我这个高级合伙人
of the firm should be doing this because...
应该接这个案子的原因是...
It'll be fun.
这个案子会很好玩
Plus, you promised I'd get to try cases with you.
而且,你答应过我会和我一起办一个案子
Do you know your briefcase is smoking?
你知道你的公文包在冒烟吗?
This is the season, Brad.
这叫应时,布拉德
Bubble, bubble, toil and so forth.
泡泡,泡泡,圈套,茶煲...
This is a law firm.
这里是律师事务所
Thank you for that.
谢谢你提醒我
Mr. Shore. My name is Garrett Wells.
肖尔先生,我是加勒特·韦尔斯
Garrett Wells Sounds like an old western town,
加勒特·韦尔斯听起来像是一个古老的西方小镇
I'm an associate here.
我是这里的助理律师
Yes, you're the one who sleeps with paralegals.
我知道,你就是和律师助手上床的那个
And this is, uh... The paralegal.
这位是,呃... 我就是那个律师助手
Can we talk to you for a second?
我们能谈谈吗?
You are talking.
我听着呢
In private, please?
私下谈谈,行吗?
Let me put this out.
让我先把这个处理掉
My little brother Jeffrey signed up for the national guard.
我的弟弟杰弗里曾服役于国民警卫队
He fulfilled his service contract in Iraq.
他很好地在伊拉克完成了他的使命
He was supposed to come home.
他原本是就要回来的
The army kept him there under the stop loss program.
军方根据"停止减员"程序,把他留在那儿,
There weren't enough soldiers on the ground
因为那里没有足够的士兵
so they put him in a position that he never trained for.
因此他们把他安排到一个他从来,没有接受过相关培训的职位上
It got him killed.
导致他被杀害
I realize as a matter of law that
我知道军方对这种诉讼
the army is immune from these suits.
具有豁免权
There is probably no way to win this.
因此几乎没有可能可以打赢这场官司
That's why we came to you.
所以我们来寻求你的帮助
You, um, have a high success
你十分善于使用非常规
rate for unconventional trials.
手段来赢得官司
That's only because the conventional trials won't have me.
那是因为总是没人找我打常规的官司
What are you looking to gain from this?
你想在这场官司中获得什么?
I'm not sure.
我不太清楚
I go home and cry every night.
我每晚回家都在哭
Until I start to scream.
直到我开始尖叫
Maybe...
也许...
I just want someone to hear my screams.
我只是想让别人听见我的呐喊
It promotes a specific religion.
这是在宣扬邪教
Ah! Shirley Schmidt!
啊! 雪莉·施密特!
Grace and Bob Mathias.
这是格雷斯,和, 鲍勃·马赛厄斯
They're, uh...
他们是,呃...
The Christians.
基督徒
And Evelyn and Sam Sawtelle.
而这是,伊夫林,和,Sam Sawtelle
The witches. Wiccans.
女巫,巫师
Sorry. Uh, as I understand it, the four of you
抱歉,呃,据我所知,你们四个想要
want to stop the school celebration of Halloween.
阻止学校的万圣节庆典
It's satanic.
那是魔鬼的庆典
Uh, that's not the position we're taking.
呃,我们不赞同这个说法
I mean, we're not allowed to have a Christmas concert
我的意思是,他们从不允许举行圣诞音乐会
because of the whole church and state thing, but every year...
理由是要什么政教分离之类的,但是每年...
At our children's school. A public school.
在我们孩子的学校,公立学校
Paid for with our taxes.
用我们纳税人的钱建立的学校
They have a Halloween pageant.
他们可以举办万圣节庆典
It's a pageant, is it?
只是庆典对吧?
Where not only are images of
那为什么除了
witches prominently displayed
到处都挂满了女巫的肖像之外
But the principal of the school...
连学校的校长...
Mrs. Berleth...
贝雷夫人...
dresses up like a witch. And she cackles.
都要穿得像个女巫,还要在那尖笑
She cackles. Bloodcurdling cackles.
她在尖笑,令人毛骨悚然
We find the whole thing horribly offensive.
我们同样不能忍受这整件事
Because... Ms. Schmidt, as a Wiccan couple,
因为... 施密特女士,作为一对巫师夫妇
it's hard enough raising our daughter in this culture
在外界文化的影响下,我们本来就很难和女儿沟通
without stereotypical images holding her up for ridicule.
加上这种对巫术的错误渲染,只会让她觉得我们很可笑
I mean, I ask you, are we green?
我的意思是,我问你,我们是小绿人吗?
Do we have warts? And as a Christian couple,
我们身上有瘤吗? 同样,作为一对基督徒夫妇
we resent having our faith
我们极不愿见到我们的信仰被
marginalized while satan worship is openly...
排挤的同时拜魔教却可以公开地...
Witches don't worship satan, Grace.
巫术并不崇拜魔鬼,格雷斯
Promoted.
你们在宣扬它
Specifically.
换种方式罢了
It's unfair. It's defatory.
这不公平,这是误导
You can see, while both couples are on the same side,
你看,他们还是有共同点的
we have competing claims.
虽然主张不尽相同
But we're putting our differences aside...
但是我们可以暂时把争议放在一边...
For the greater good...
先解决主要矛盾...
How could they possibly file papers so thick so fast?
他们怎么能够那么快准备了那么多资料?
Clearly the government was ready for this very case.
很明显政府对这种事已经有所预料
And just as clearly, they want to shut it down fast.
而且他们显然想要尽快解决我们
So what happens?
那我们怎么办?
Well, instead of responding in kind,
既然这样,与其迎合他们
I plan to ask the judge for an evidentiary hearing.
我准备去要求法官举行一场听证会
My feeling is, after listening to you, Cassie,
我想,当他听了你的陈词,卡西
he'll be less inclined to
他可能不会那么草率地
just summarily dismiss the claim.
撤销这个案件
Okay.
好吧
It also might help if your parents could be there.
同时,如果你的家长也在场的话会更好
Well, my parents aren't with me on this.
可惜我的家长并不同意我的意见
They think I'm dishonoring my
他们认为我弟弟为国捐躯
brother's memory and his sacrifice.
的光荣事迹会因此蒙羞
Okay. We filed in state court
好吧,我们已经以国家侵权行为
under the state torts claim act,
作为主题向州立法院起诉
and miraculously, a judge agreed to hear us.
很幸运地,有一位法官同意听证
The bad news is we drew a peculiar judge.
但是不幸的是,这位法官很特别
In 26 years on the bench, I have
我当了26年的法官
never seen a case so ridiculous.
还从来没见过那么可笑的案子
It nauseates me.
它简直让我作呕
Your honor is being a little dramatic.
阁下说话真风趣
He was a solider in a war. What's more, he enlisted.
他是一名士兵,而且,他正在服役
Private Elliot's tour of duty was
二等兵埃利奥特,的服役期已经结束了
over. He should not have been in Iraq.
他不应该继续呆在伊拉克
He enlisted in part because
他仍呆在那里的原因是
he was fraudulently recruited.
他被蒙骗了
Moreover, the army then put him in
而且,军方随后安排他做一样
a job for which he was not trained
他从来没有接受过培训的任务
And which resulted in his death.
结果导致了他的死亡
Move to dismiss.
请撤销此案
The United states army is immune from this sort...
美国军方对这类型的案件有豁免...
Not to claims based on fraud,
但是豁免权不包括欺骗别人从军
Which this is.
正如此案
What if the families of every
如果每个烈士家属
solider killed in combat decided to sue?
都决定要起诉的话
We'd have a logistical nightmare.
我们将会面临极大的问题
Fortunately, we're only
幸好我们目前只有
dealing with one person suing here,
一起诉讼案
and if you're predisposed to kick it, so be it.
如果您要驳回此案,您大可以这么做
But at least take an hour to hear from
但是至少在那之前,给我们的证人
a couple of witnesses before doing so.
一点点时间进行陈词
You have a legacy of
阁下您素来有
unfettered fairness, your honor.
公平公正的美誉
Please do not tarnish it.
我相信您会做出正确的判断的
You pay the court costs.
费用你出
2 o'clock.
2点整
He actually got a hearing?
他真的争取到了听证?
Don't ask me how. Well, what did he say?
别问我怎么办到的,那他怎么说的?
Don't you two have anything else to do?
你们俩没有其他事可做了吗?
Um, we're discussing a case, sir.
呃,我们正在讨论一个案子
It's not a case. It's an
那才不能叫一个案子
abuse of the judicial process.
那简直就是对整个司法系统的侮辱
Yes, we're discussing that. Go shine your shoes.
是的,我们就是在说这个,去把你的鞋子擦干净
I beg your pardon? You heard me.
你说什么? 你听得没错
Shine your shoes now.
现在就去把你的鞋子擦干净
And how's your grooming? I think fine... sir.
那你觉得你的仪表怎么样? 我想应该很整洁...先生
Go to work.
去工作吧
It's fun to pull rank, isn't it?
好大的官威啊
What you are doing
你的所作所为
is an arrogant dismissal of that
是对那名年轻士兵伟大的牺牲的
young soldier's ultimate sacrifice.
的极度蔑视
And as somebody who served in the Gulf war, proudly,
而作为一名曾为参与海湾战争而自豪的人
when you disrespect our soldiers,
当你不尊重我们的士兵时
you disrespect me. I don't like it.
就是在不尊重我,我对此很反感
Is it true?
是真的吗?
You're criticizing the war?
你在批评战争?
Constructive criticism.
提出善意的建议
What?
怎么了?
Alan, I've loved you like a...
艾伦,我待你如同...
Sister.
姐妹
We're Americans. To be critical in a time of war.
我们是美国人,在战时批评战事
Even the Democrats are smart
就算是民主党人在这个时候
enough to keep their mouth shut on this.
也都聪明地闭上他们的嘴巴
Edward R. Murrow said we should Edward R. Murrow
曾说过,为CBS知名新闻主播
never confuse dissent with disloyalty.
我们不可以将反对的声音视作背叛,他在50年代以反对麦卡锡主义而闻名)
Edward R. Murrow is media. Edward R. Murrow
是卖新闻的
And he's dead. Dead don't count.
而且他已经死了,死了的不算数
The dead do count, Denny, which
死者不能被忽视
is why we're bringing this lawsuit.
因此我们才进行这场控诉
Drop the case. Do it now.
撤销这个案子,马上
I'm not dropping it, Denny.
我不能这样做,丹尼
Alan?
艾伦?
I'm senior partner.
我是高级合伙人
I'm asking you, check that, I'm directing you.
我现在让你,听清楚,我命令你
Drop it. No.
撤诉,不行
I'll boil you whole and
我要把你烹了
suck the skin from your bones!
吃了你的骨头!
Or something like that.
或者类似这样的话
Mr. Mathias, is this an accurate depiction
马赛厄斯先生,刚才贝雷,校长所做的示范
of principal Berleth's
是否就和她在复活节上
behavior during the Halloween pageant?
所做的表演相符?
Yes, except she does sort of a... swoop.
是的,除此之外还有些张牙舞爪的动作
Could we see the swoop, please?
我们能看看那些动作吗?
Uh, your honor, just...
呃,法官阁下...
Your honor...
法官阁下...
Your honor, the defense
法官阁下
stipulates she's scary as all get out.
被告稍微增加了点戏剧效果
Mrs. Berleth, you may be seated.
贝雷女士,你可以坐下了
The court thanks you for the riveting demonstration.
谢谢你生动的演示
Why is Mrs. Berleth's
为什么你认为贝雷女士的表演
performance so harmful to your children?
会让你的孩子受到伤害?
I mean, it's just Halloween.
我是说,只是复活节游戏而已
And that's what we hear daily.
我们在日常生活中也会说
"It's just a movie. " "It's just a video game. "
"只是电影而已," "只是电视游戏而已"
"It's just the super bowl halftime show. "
"只是超级碗的半场表演而已"
But she's not just a witch to you, is she?
但是你来说,她不仅只是一个女巫?
No, and I should be able to protect my children
不,因此我必须保护我的孩子
from things I deem harmful.
受到从中伤害
Trying to raise my kids to have
我从小就尝试把我的孩子培养成
strong Christian values in today's world
虔诚的基督教信徒
is hard enough without the head of the school
就算一校之长没有打扮成一个魔鬼的仆人
dressing up like a servant of satan.
这在当今社会风气的影响下也已经够难的了
It's bad enough my 7 yearold knows all about
我7岁的儿子老是把游戏中的
bitches, pimps and hos from "grand theft auto".
妓女,皮条客,种马这种词汇挂在嘴边
Michael Jackson and child
麦克尔杰克逊的狎童案
molestation are now words in his vernacular.
让他们津津乐道
My sixth grade daughter has
我还在上6年级的女儿
classmates who will, excuse me,
在学校中的同学
perform oral sex for a dollar.
会为了1美元而提供口交服务
Now all of this is learned at school.
这些都是他们在学校里学到的
This is why we're so livid.
所以我们才那么的愤怒
This is why so many of us are homeschooling,
正因此我们当中的许多人才让孩子在家自学
but I don't want to have to do that.
但是我不想这么做
Public school is just that. It's our school, too.
公立学校,顾名思义,就是大家的学校
And satan shouldn't be there.
撒旦不应该出现在这里
The national guard said
国民警卫队告诉他
they'd pay his tuition for college.
他们会为他提供上大学的奖学金
He was also told that he'd be safe.
同时也说他会很安全
Safe?
安全?
He was gonna be a cannon loader,
他本来是负责装载炮弹的
not one of the guys on the streets.
不是在街上巡逻警戒
They promised. When he was reassigned,
他们曾保证,如果他留下来继续服役
doing the job of an MP, guarding a convoy truck,
他们会安排他到宪兵队,负责看守押运车
he made a joke that he should've just joined the Boston PD.
他曾说过一个笑话,如果他想要当个警察
If he was gonna travel halfway
直接加入波士顿警局就可以了
around the world to become a cop.
何必在地球上兜一个大圈
Cassie, what happened on September 2nd of this year?
卡西在今年的九月二日发生了什么事
Jeff's convoy was pulling through a town called Iskandariyah.
杰夫看管的押运车正经过一个,叫伊斯坎德里耶 的小镇
They nearly ran over an IED.
他们差点碾过一个IED
It's an improvised explosive device.
那是一个简易爆炸装置
A bomb.
一个炸弹
They had to disarm it before the convoy could go on.
要继续前进的话他们必须要拆除它
Jeff didn't have any training
杰夫没有受过任何
in disarming homemade bombs.
拆弹训练
But it had to be done, and no one else had a clue.
但是炸弹必须被拆除,而没有人知道该怎么做
He was always like that.
他总是一个
You know, he...
你明白,他是...
was always one you could count on.
他总是一个能够信任的人
He just never should have been there!
他只是根本不应该在那儿!
Okay.
谢谢
But, Cassie, he did enlist.
但是,卡西,他正在服役
You sign up for the military,
既然你同意他应征入伍
you have to assume the risk of going to war.
你就应该知道战争总是存在风险
His tour of duty was up.
他已经尽到了他的职责
Plus he died doing something he was never trained for.
但是他从来没有接受过拆弹训练
He didn't assume that risk.
他根本预料过这种风险
Nothing further.
我问完了
Mr. Randolph?
伦道夫先生?
I have nothing for Ms. Elliot
我没有什么要问的了
except to thank her family
我只是想对埃利奥特小姐和她的家庭
for the sacrifice that they've made
为我们这场坚苦卓越的战争
during this difficult struggle for freedom. Thank you.
所做出的贡献表示崇高的敬意
Hi. Did we have a meeting scheduled?
你们好,我们原本计划碰面的吗?
Denise, we have some concerns about our case.
丹尼斯,我们对案子有些看法
Okay. Well, please.
好的,那么,请说
We don't want to make trouble,
我们不想惹麻烦
but the Christians keep bringing up satanism,
但是那些基督徒不断地称我们为撒旦的信徒
which completely misrepresents
这完全曲解了我们的信仰
what our religion is about.
的真正意义
We're worried that the Wiccan
我们担心我们的利益
side isn't being represented fairly,
会受到损害
I mean, we're a recognized religion
我的意思是,我们是公认的合法的宗教团体
with hundreds of thousands of followers.
有着成千上万的信徒
We're just looking for balance.
我们只是要求公平对待
Well, your side is up next,
下次轮到你们发言
and you'll be able to state your position fully.
你们可以自由地阐述你们的立场
I promise.
我保证
Thank you. That's all we ask.
谢谢你,这正是我们想要的
Yeah.
对啊
Should we say something?
我们该不该说?
What?
什么?
Um, Denise... Uh, we don't know you very well.
呃,丹尼斯... ,呃,我们和你不是很熟
Wiccans care about spreading goodwill
巫术主张施善
and restoring the natural balance of the world.
和回复宇宙间的自然平衡
And from you, well, we're feeling
而我们从你身上
a quiet, screaming disharmony.
感觉到一种不和谐的现象
Come again?
再说一次?
Maybe it has to do with the fact that you're recently divorced.
也许这和你最近刚离婚有点关系
How did you know that?
你们怎么知道的?
You have a tan line from your ring.
你的手指上还留着戒指的痕迹
We can help. It's what we do.
我们可以帮你,我们有这个能力
I appreciate your concern, but I'm completely...
我很感激你们对我的关心,但是我很...
harmonic.
和谐
Okay. Okay.
好吧,好吧
This case is going great.
案子进行的不错
You did excellent today.
你今天的表现很好
Yeah, whatever that means. It's...
嗯,无论怎么说都好...
so...
那么...
so I'm just gonna...
我要说的是...
I don't want to have sex with you anymore.
我不想再和你上床了
Yeah.
好吧
Well, as it turns out, as my client,
也对,作为我的委托人
I'm not supposed to have sex with you anyway.
我不应该和你发生关系的
So there we are.
那我们到此为止吧
There we are.
到此为止
I'm trying on my Halloween costume.
我正在试穿我的万圣节衣服
What are your thoughts?
你觉得怎么样?
I prefer to be alone. Please leave.
我想一个人呆着,请出去
Why? No reason.
为什么? 不为什么
If you were to guess at a reason...
如果硬要说一个原因...
If I were to guess,
如果硬要说原因
I'd say maybe I don't want to socialize
我会说我不想对一个
with a pinko liberal Democrat commie.
左倾民主党人须臾奉承
You may think it's patriotic to dissent,
你也许会认为这是,爱之深责之切
and maybe it is, sometimes.
有时候也许是的
But to sue the army in a
但是在战时起诉军队
time of war is not patriotic.
绝对不是爱国行为
It borders on treason. And I'm disgusted with you.
那是叛国,我对你很失望
And just so you know, most of
而且你要知道
the Democrats voted for this war.
大部分的民主党人也投了赞成票
John Kerry voted for it.
克里投了赞成票
Hillary Clinton voted for it.
希拉里也投了赞成票
And now suddenly it becomes unpopular,
现在情况突然变了
say what you will about Republicans,
你说我们共和党人会怎么做
we stick to our convictions,
我们会一直坚守原则
even when we know we're dead wrong.
就算我们知道我们完全是错的
Some might say especially then.
有些甚至屡错屡战
It's not funny, Alan.
一点都不好笑,艾伦
I can't look at you right now.
我现在不想看到你
I don't know how you could miss me.
那你会想我的
This is how I feel. I don't want to be in your company.
我现在的想法是,我不想和你呆在一间公司里
On the ground, there's separate rules
在战地上,警卫队和
for national guards and active duty soldiers.
当值士兵有着不同的职责
How do you mean?
你指的是什么?
Well, guardsmen have to write
警卫队的职责是向总部申请
home for essential supplies,
物质支援
little things like flashlights, batteries,
包括从手电筒,电池
to major stuff like body armor.
到防弹衣的一切物质支援
You weren't given proper body armor?
你们没有装备防弹衣?
None of us were.
我们都没有
Now you were trained as a medic.
你所接受的是医护培训
Yes, sir. And when I got there
是的,但是当我到了那里
they had me doing MP duty
他们要求我做属于宪兵队的工作
because there was no one left to do it.
因为他们缺乏人手
Before I knew it, I was guarding convoys.
在我了解到发生什么事之前,我正在看守押运车
With private Elliot?
和二等兵埃利奥特一起?
It happened to a lot of us.
这种事时有发生
There just aren't enough guys over there.
因为那儿总是不够人手
Corporal, based on what your recruiter told you,
下士,当你应征加入国民警卫队时
is this what you expected when
征兵处工作人员对你说的
you signed up for the national guard?
和你在战场上遇到的情况一致吗?
No, sir. No. I wanted to go into the medical field.
不一致,我本来要去的是战地医院
My recruiter told me that the
工作人员对我说
government would pay for my medical school,
政府会支付我上医学院的费用
and that in Iraq I'd be a medic, never see combat.
而我在伊拉克是作为一名医护人员,不用参与战斗
Why are you home now?
为什么你退伍了?
I was shot.
我中枪了
Thank you, corporal.
谢谢你,下士
You were a soldier in a war.
你是战场上的一名士兵
I was told that I would never see combat.
我被告知我不用参与战斗
Is it your testimony that you
你的证词说你从来
were never trained in combat?
没有受过战斗训练?
That's not my testimony.
我没有那么说
And, corporal, before you joined the national guard,
那么,下士,在你加入国民警卫队之前
you were roughly $6,000 in debt.
你欠下了6千美元的债务
Yes.
是的
And the government gave you a hefty signing bonus,
而政府给了你一大笔奖金
which you used to pay off that debt.
使你可以偿还那笔债务
Yes, sir.
是的,长官
And now that you're back at home,
现在你回国了
going to college at nighttuitionfree and have a good job,
免费读书并且找到一份好工作
both of which the government facilitated
这都是政府根据你在国民警卫队中
based on your training in the national guard.
受过的训练提供给你的
Yes, sir. And your testimony is
是的,长官,而你在证词中说
that the government didn't keep its promises to you.
政府没有兑现对你的承诺
That is not my testimony.
我没有这样说
It's actually a good thing
他们要传召证人
that they're calling a witness
而且法官想听听他们的看法
and that the judge wants to hear from their side.
这是一件好事
It means we've...
这意味着我们...
made an impression.
有了进展
What's this? My Halloween costume.
这是什么? 我的万圣节服装
We were gonna be flamingos together.
我们不是说好一起扮火烈鸟的吗?
I decided to be a hunter. Leave.
我现在决定要做一个猎人,请离开
Hunters shoot flamingos.
可是猎人会射火烈鸟...
Could you excuse us, please?
请让我们单独谈谈
Denny, whether or not one agrees with the war...
丹尼,无论赞不赞成战争...
I don't want to talk about it.
我不想谈这些
Why is that? Why does no one want to talk about it?
为什么?为什么没有人愿意谈这些?
Why can't friends even discuss it?
为什么朋友间不能讨论一下?
Because you're either with us or against us,
因为你要不赞成我们,要不反对我们
and I don't want to talk to people who are against us.
而我不想和反对我们的人讨论这个问题
Wicca is a way to reconnect.
巫术是一种自我治疗的方式
In our modern, mechanized world,
在我们这个高度现代化的社会
people have lost touch with nature,
人类与自然越行越远
and Wicca teaches us that
而巫术告诉我们
God is in all living things.
神存在于万物之中
What about magic?
那所谓的魔法呢?
The only spells we cast are positive ones.
我们只会释放带有正面效果的魔法
We believe in the law of three.
我们遵循"三倍法则"
Whatever energy you put out in the
你对他人所做所为,不论好坏
world will return to you threefold.
最后都会以三倍相同的效果还施到你自己身上
So we promote goodwill, not hexes.
所以我们提倡行善嫉恶
Tell us why you want Mrs. Berleth to end her witch act.
告诉我们你为什么要贝雷女士停止扮演女巫
The stereotype, the wicked witch.
因为她扮演的是一个刻板邪恶的女巫形象
My daughter comes home at least once a week crying
我的女儿每个星期至少有一天是哭着回家的
because the kids in school torment her
因为学校里的孩子嘲笑她
and say she worships the devil.
说她是魔鬼的仆从
You don't worship satan, do you, Evelyn?
你们并不信奉撒旦?
Wicca has no concept of satan.
巫术中根本就没有撒旦的概念
The devil and fire and brimstone, hell.
也没有魔鬼,劫火,硫磺,地狱
That stuff was dreamed up by Christians.
这些东西都是基督徒凭空幻想出来的
"Dreamed up"?
"凭空幻想"?
Now you said Wicca is an ancient belief.
你说巫术是一种古老的信仰
Yes.
是的
But I'm confused.
但是我有些困惑
Wasn't Wicca made up in England in the 1950s?
巫术不是于19世纪50年代,在英格兰制造出来的么?
It wasn't made up.
它并不是制造出来的
It came about after England finally repealed
它出现在1951年
the last of its witchcraft laws in 1951.
在英国废除了最后一部巫术法案之后
But it's simply a modern
但它可是看作是一种古老信仰
version of an old belief system.
的现代版本
Witchcraft laws?
巫术法案?
Laws created in England and Europe
巫术法案源于英国和欧洲地区
during what are called the burning times.
在火刑时期产生,
It started in about 1480 and
始于1480年前后
went on for hundreds of years.
持续了数百年
Tens of thousands of innocent
数以万计的无辜民众
people were burned at the stake
被烧死在火刑架上
Because of these laws. Burned by whom?
基于这些法案,被什么人烧死?
Well, the Christians.
基督教徒
You said you'd leave out the attacks.
你说好我们不攻击对方的
She didn't attack you. Sam, Bob, please.
她没有攻击你,萨姆·鲍勃,别说了
They're making a mockery of our religion.
他们在嘲笑我们的信仰
I did no such thing,
我没有做这样的事
What?
什么?
This is why we came to you.
这就是为什么我们来找你
This is what we were talking about.
这也就是我们担心的事情
Wait a second.
等等
You saw Denise behind our backs?
你背着我们和丹尼斯,见面?
It wasn't behind your back.
我们没有做什么见不得人的事
Oh, so then you're a hypocrite.
噢,原来你们都是小人啊
Hey, hey, hey.
好了,好了
I didn't know I was dealing with a hypocrite, that's all.
我现在才知道原来我一直在和小人共事
Hey!
够了!
Don't push me.
别碰我
Well, what are you gonna do, turn me into a toad?
你能怎么样?把我变成癞蛤蟆?
All right! We don't do hexes!
够了! 我们不需要用魔法!
We throw punches occasionally.
对付你拳头就够了
All right, that's enough.
好了,够了
I think I know where you can put your broomstick.
我想我知道你把扫帚藏哪了,
I told private Elliot exactly what
在二等兵埃利奥特应征当天我清楚地告诉过他
he'd be getting into when he signed up.
他会面临的各种情况
I answered all of his questions.
我回答了他提出的所有问题
Did you ever lie or mislead private Elliot
当他走进你的征兵办公室后
when he came into your recruitment office?
你是否曾经欺骗或是误导过他?
No, sir.
没有,先生
We went over his service contract
我们一起审阅了合同
together, and explained each provision completely.
而且把合同上的条款逐条的解释给他听
I may have emphasized the positive,
我也许强调过参军的好处
but I never lied to him.
但是绝对没有半句谎言
You told private Elliot that he'd be
你是否曾告知二等兵埃利奥特,除了装载炮弹外
doing things other than cannon loading?
他可能会做另外的一些工作?
Of course. I explained all the contingencies to him.
当然,我向他解释了可能会发生的各种情况
I told him the same thing I tell all recruits.
我对他说了对每个来应征的人,都说的同样的话
Really?
真的吗?
This man Mr. Dewey, seated in the second row,
这位坐在第二行的杜威先生
went to your recruiting office yesterday at our direction.
昨天在我们的指导下去了你的征兵办公室
Do you remember speaking with him, sir?
你记得和他说过话吗?
Objection!
反对!
Mr. Shore? What are you doing here.
肖尔先生?你在干什么
impeachment, your honor.
提出疑问,法官阁下
Sergeant Hendler articulated that he
亨德勒军士,很明确地说
tells the same thing to all recruits.
他对每个来应征的人都说同样的话
Mr. Dewey is one of those all.
杜威先生是其中之一
I will allow it.
反对无效
But I have my eye on you.
但是别玩什么花样
Again, sergeant,
那么军士,我再问一遍
do you remember having a conversation with this young man?
你记得和他说过话吗?
Vaguely. Vaguely?
有点印象? 有点印象?
You told him the national guard
你告诉他国民警卫队将会为他
could train him in sound mixing.
提供关于混音的培训
We offer a wide spectrum of training possibilities.
我们提供很多技能培训课程
Isn't it a fact that you never told
事实上,你并没有告诉杜威先生
Mr. Dewey he'd have to do anything else?
他需要做其他工作
You also told him he'd probably never see combat.
你同时也告知他,他将不会参与战斗
I believe my words were
我想我的话应该是
"hopefully, he'd never see combat".
"希望他将不会参与战斗"
And if Mr. Dewey says he
那么如果杜威先生说
never heard the word "hopefully,"
他从来没有听见"希望"这个词
would he be lying or mistaken?
会是他在撒谎或者弄错了吗?
Because he's willing to take a polygraph.
他愿意接受说谎测试
Objection. Sustained.
反对,反对有效
You also mentioned to him something
你同时也想他提到了一项
about a "Try one" program.
"体验一年"计划
What's that?
那是什么?
Try one is a 1year trial program.
那是指一年为期的体验项目
If you sign up, and you aren't happy
如果你参与这个项目,而在你一年役期结束后
at the end of your 1year contract,
你并不满意
then you can leave without
你可以随时离开
officially enlisting in the national guard.
不再列入国防警卫队的编制当中
And that's what private Elliot
而二等兵,埃利奥特
signed up for, correct?
参加了这个项目,对吗?
Yes, sir.
是的
See, this is what confuses me.
看,这就是我不明白的地方
Private Elliot served out his year,
二等兵埃利奥特,服完了他的役期
fulfilled his contract and clearly wasn't happy.
履行了他的合同义务,而且很明显他不满意
Why didn't he just come home?
为什么他不能回家了事?
Private Elliot was kept in
根据"停止减员"程序
Iraq under the stop loss program.
他被留在伊拉克
In case you haven't noticed, we're at war.
我不得不提醒你,我们正处于战争时期
Yes.
是的
Tell me, sergeant, under this stop loss program,
告诉我,军士,根据这个"停止减员"程序
how much longer had the military planned
二等兵埃利奥特,还需要再
to keep private Elliot in the service?
服多长时间的兵役?
Private Elliot's obligation was extended to 2031.
二等兵埃利奥特的役期延长到2031年
26 years.
共26年
Did you tell either Mr. Elliot or
你是否告知埃利奥特先生或者
Mr. Dewey about these contingencies?
杜威先生会发生这种情况?
We're at war, Mr. Shore.
我们现在处于战争当中,肖尔先生
We need soldiers.
我们需要士兵
Yes. According to our generals and military advisors,
没错,根据我们的军事顾问的资料
we need a lot more than the 140,000 currently over there.
我们还需要在那儿投放超过14万的士兵
Why are we not sending more?
为什么我们不继续派兵呢?
Are we trying to win this war or not, sergeant?
我们到底想不想要打赢这场战争,军士?
Your honor, this is clearly a
法官阁下,这完全是噱头
stunt. He orchestrated this.
他编排了这一场戏
These are the children who will be affected.
他们和这个案子有着莫大的关系
That doesn't mean you parade them around like exhibits.
那也不意味着你要把他们都带来,像开展览会一样
Counsel, this has already taken up enough time.
辩护律师,这个案子已经占用了许多时间
Let's just get through this. Step back.
让我们将它处理了吧,请归位
Halloween is a secular holiday
万圣节是一个传统节日
and as you can see, a fun one.
而且如你所见,亦是一个有趣的节日
Now the witch at the center of this
这个案子的被告
case, played with gusto by Mrs. Berleth,
由贝雷女士饰演的女巫
is not a symbol of satanism
并不是魔鬼的象征
and in no way defames the religion of the Wiccans.
也没有损害到巫师的宗教形象
The whole pageant, indeed, all of
整个万圣节庆典,事实上
Halloween everywhere is just makebelieve.
万圣节的所有东西都是虚构的
And to claim that this somehow
因此,说这是所谓的
rises to the level of persecution
对信仰的冒犯
is not only laughable but offensive.
不仅可笑而且令人愤怒
Persecution is an issue,
我们的主题就是关于谁才是受害者
which, to be perfectly frank,
坦白的说
neither of these suburban parents
这些偏激的家长
nor their highpriced attorneys know anything about.
和他们的高价律师都没有意识到这点
And it's insulting to
因此,在万圣节这个时候,用这个案子
groups who have been persecuted
一而再地对实际上被冒犯的人提出控诉
to raise that issue at this time in this case.
实在是很无礼的事
The First Amendment says we
宪法第一修正案指出
shouldn't discriminate against any group
每种群体的信仰都应该受到保护
on the basis of region. It's a nice theory.
我认为说得很对
But the truth is the law is rarely
但是事实上
applied to protect the Christian faith,
法律并没有很好的保护基督教徒的权力
because being in the majority,
也许由于他们处于强势
well, I guess we feel they can take it.
所以我猜我们都认为他们能够很好地保护自己
And if the religion is too far out there,
反过来一些很偏门的信仰
Chriristian scientists? Sure.
例如信奉基督教的科学家?当然受到保护
Scientologists? Maybe.
基督教科学派?可能吧
Wiccans? Well, at what point
巫师? 这里我不禁要问
does a religion become silly enough
是不是当人们认为一种信仰很荒谬的时候
that it's okay to make fun of them?
就可以随意对其进行取笑?
And who decides?
而由谁来决定其是否荒谬?
What this case is really about is tolerance.
这个案子事实上是在探讨宽容
Whether it's Hindus attacking
无论是印度教在攻击犹太教
Jews or Muslims against Catholics,
或是穆斯林在反对基督教
Christians fighting with Wiccans,
又或者基督教徒批驳巫师
the aim of the law is tolerance.
法律的出发点都是宽容
And I could be wrong but,
也许我是错的
I don't think we ever ratified
但是我不认为我们可以,冠"娱乐"之名
persecution under the heading of "fun".
而行亵渎之事
Let me read you something by Martin Niemoeller,
让我在这里引述Martin Niemoeller
a German pastor who opposed the Nazis.
一位德国反对纳粹的新教牧师的话
"In Germany, they came first for the communists,"
"在德国,起初他们追杀共产党人"
"and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.
"我没有说话,因为我不是共产党"
"Then they came for the Jews,"
"接着他们追杀犹太人"
"and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew".
"我没有说话,因为我不是犹太人"
"Then they came for the trade unionists,"
"然后他们追杀商会会员"
"and I didn't speak up
"我没有说话
because I wasn't a trade unionist".
因为我不是商会会员"
"Then they came for the Catholics,
"后来他们追杀基督教徒
"and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant".
我还是没有说话,因为我是新教徒"
"Then they came for me,"
"最后他们直奔我而来"
"and by that time, there
"而这时候
was no one left to speak up".
已经没有人能够为我说话了"
In war, any war, there are casualties.
在战争中,任何战争,都避免不了有伤亡
For the family of a victim
对于一个烈士的家属来说
to sue the army for such a
因此而控诉军队
casualty is not only patently ridiculous,
不仅是十分可笑的
it's an insult.
而且是一种侮辱
First, it offends the memory
首先,它破坏了
of the soldier who gave his life
为国捐躯的士兵的
to defend his country.
荣誉感
Worse, it's an attack on patriotism and the U.S. army itself.
更有甚者,这是对爱国主义和军队本身的攻击
He enlisted. He was trained in combat.
他应征入伍,他受过战斗训练
He assumed the risks of combat.
他清楚战争的风险
This lawsuit merely represents a flamboyant attempt
这场官司仅仅是试图公然宣扬反战情绪
to showcase antiwar sentiment. It is wrong. It is baseless.
它不分是非,它没有根据
And it's an affront to every soldier, to every veteran
这是对每一个为了
who has put himself on the line to
保卫祖国而开赴前线
defend the United states of America.
特别是对那些因此牺牲的
Especially, primarily, the ones
士兵和退伍军人
who have given their lives to do so.
的公然侮辱
First, this is hardly about antiwar sentiments.
首先,这不是反战情绪
Private Elliot was for the war.
二等兵埃利奥特,是支持战争的
Personally, I was against it. Then I was for it.
而我个人,我曾反对它,然后支持它
Then I was against it again. But that's just me.
然后又反对它,但是这只是我个人行为而已
I'm a flipflopper.
我是墙头草
But whether one is for or against the occupation,
但是无论支不支持这场战斗
and let's assume, judging from your tie, one is,
根据你的领带,让我们假设支持好了
that does not exempt the military from
都不能因此而默许军方
a duty to be honest with its soldiers.
向他们的士兵们撒谎
Private Elliot was told he'd serve a year.
二等兵埃利奥特,被告知他只需服一年兵役
He was told he wouldn't see combat.
他被告知他不会参加战斗
Okay, unexpected stuff happens.
好吧,尽管由于不可预期的因素
He did see combat. Fine.
他参与了战斗,没有关系
But he was sent into combat with insufficient backup.
但是他在战争中得不到有效的支援
He was sent in to perform duties
他被派往从事
for which he was never, ever trained.
一项他没有接受过培训的工作
He wasn't given the most basic of equipment.
他得不到最基本的补给
And then after his tour of duty was finally up,
而他尽了自己的义务后
they wouldn't let him leave.
他们不让他离开
He never assumed those risks by enlisting.
他并不知道要承担这种风险
Overextended, underequipped,
过度延长役期,得不到良好的装备
nontrained. He never signed up for that.
没有接受过训练,这些都超出了他的预期
And now he's dead.
而他现在牺牲了
And aside from his sister, nobody seems to care.
除了他的姐姐,没有人在意
We talk about honoring the troops.
我们常说要向我们的士兵表示敬意
How about we honor them by
难道这就是对我们牺牲的士兵
giving a damn when they're killed?
表示敬意的方式?
Our kids are dying over there.
我们的孩子在那里牺牲了
And this country, the people, the media,
而他们的祖国,他们的同胞,还有媒体
we all chug along like nothing is wrong.
我们就像什么都没有发生过一样
We'll spend a month obsessing about Terry Schiavo,
我们可以花上一个月的功夫来讨论谢维讼案,
but dare we show a body of a fallen soldier?
可是我们却不敢放出士兵的遗体的画面?
The most watched cable news station
最多人收看的有线电视台
will spend an hour a night
可以每晚花上一个小时时间
on a missing girl in Aruba.
来关注一个阿鲁巴岛上失踪女童,
But God forbid we pay any attention
但是我们却从来不关心
when kids like private Elliot, killed in action...
像二等兵埃利奥特这样的孩子在战争中被杀害...
You're off the point. I'm not off the point.
你离题了,我没离题
We've had 2,000 American trees
我们有2,000幼苗
fall in that forest over there,
在那里的战火中倒下
and we don't even know it, not really.
而我们甚至都不知道,不一定知道
But maybe we don't want to know
也许我们根本就不想知道
about our children dying.
我们的孩子牺牲了
So lucky for us, this war isn't really being televised.
所以我们应该庆幸这场战争并没有被搬到荧幕上
We're not seeing images of soldiers
我们看不到士兵们死在
dying in the arms of their comrades,
他们队友怀里的画面
being blown apart in the streets of Baghdad.
在巴格达的街头被炸飞
But they are by the thousands.
这样的事情有上千起
And all the American public wants to concern itself with
而所有的美国民众却在关心
is whether Brad and Angelina really are a couple.
布拉德彼特和安吉丽娜茱丽是否结婚了
At least with Vietnam, we all watched, and we all got angry.
至少在越南战争的时候,我们都会关心,都会感到愤怒
What does this have to do with the death of private Elliot?
这到底和二等兵埃利奥特的死有什么关系?
Private Elliot is dead, in part,
二等兵埃利奥特,的死,部分是由于
because we have a people and a government in denial.
我们民众和政府的漠视
We currently have no strategy to fight this war.
我们没有为这场战争制定任何策略
We have no timetable for getting out.
我们也没有撤军时间表
Some of these troops could be extended 20plus years.
某些士兵可能要在那里呆上二十几年
Their mothers and fathers have to spring for body armor
他们的父母必须要给他们送去防弹衣
because the army doesn't, and they're getting killed!
因为军队不提供,然后他们被杀害了!
And we, as a nation in denial, are letting them.
而我们,我们的国家就像旁观者,任由其为之
We simply don't seem to care. Well, she does.
我们根本就不在意,当然,除了她
She's in this courtroom honoring one dead soldier.
她现在就在这个法庭里面,缅怀着一位死去的士兵
That's a start.
这只是开始
We're dealing here with a pageant in a public school.
我们在这里讨论的是公立学校里的万圣节庆典
A public school can't promote the exercise of any religion,
作为公立学校,不能够宣扬任何宗教信仰
and it can't denigrate the followers of any religion.
但是它也不能够诋毁任何信仰的信徒
No one should take that lightly. And indeed,
没有人可以不把这当回事,而确实
Christians, witches and other groups
基督教徒,巫师,和其他团体
have been persecuted over the years,
近些年来都受到压迫
and no one should take persecution lightly.
而这应该引起我们的重视
But...
但是...
we should take Halloween lightly.
我们不应该把万圣节看得太严肃
As the defense pointed out,
正如被告律师所说
Halloween is a secular holiday.
万圣节是一个传统节日
But more importantly, it's a silly holiday.
而且重要的是,它是仅仅是一个节日
Children don't see a witch as a symbol of any sort.
孩子们并不会把里面的女巫当作是某种象征
A witch is just something to enjoy being afraid of.
女巫只是一个能令他们尽情尖叫的角色
Motion by the plaintiffs is denied.
原告的控诉被驳回
The Halloween pageant will go on as it always has.
万圣节庆典可以继续进行
And I advise both parties to lighten up
同时我建议大家都放轻松点
and remember what Halloween really is all about.
别忘了万圣节的真正意义
The candy. Court adjourned.
是糖果,休庭
Sorry. Oh, it's okay.
我很抱歉,没有关系
We forgive you. I thought you might.
我们能理解,我想你们会的
Thank you both. Bye.
谢谢你们,再见
I'm sorry. Thank you.
我很抱歉,谢谢你
Listen, tonight's Samhain,
今晚的Samhain
that's what we call Halloween.
这是我们对万圣节的称呼
There's a women's circle after the celebration.
在庆祝完后将会有一个女人的小集会
It's a full moon.
今晚是满月
It's the perfect time for letting the
正是利用神的能量进行治疗和恢复
energy of the goddess heal and restore you.
的最好时机
You need it. I'll fax you directions.
很适合你,我会传真地址给你
Thank you so much.
非常感谢你
Do I strike you as being out of harmony?
你觉得我现在很不和谐吗?
All rise!
请起立!
This war is a disaster.
战争是一场灾难
It has been sold to America on a false premise.
美国在错误的预期下发起了它
The government has been repeatedly told
政府不断地被高级军事顾问
by its most senior military advisors that it needs far more troops.
告知,那儿需要更多的部队
The advisors have been ignored or in some cases even fired,
这些顾问被忽视了,甚至有些被解雇了
and now we have what very much looks
因此就形成了我们现在的局面
like the beginning of another Vietnam,
就像另一场越南战争的开端
except, as Mr. Shore points out,
除了,像肖尔,先生所指出的
without the necessary outrage.
并没有引起很大的关注
That said, like it or not, we are at war.
无论如何,我们都处于战争之中
And the one thing that keeps the
而其中一样让军队在战时能够正常运作
military functioning in war is its hierarchy.
的就是它所拥有的权威
Orders are given, orders followed.
令行禁止
That's why congress has granted the
这也就是国会赋予
military immunity in lawsuits like this.
军队诉讼豁免权的原因
Miss Elliot, I have the deepest
埃利奥特小姐,我为你和你的弟弟
sympathy for you and for your brother.
感到深切的同情
However...
但是...
I rule in favor of the government.
我站在政府这一边
The motion to dismiss is granted.
此案撤销
I hope at least somebody heard your screams.
我希望至少有人听见了你的呼声
If not, then maybe they heard yours. Thank you.
即使没有,他们也许听见了你的,谢谢你
Well... Bye.
那么?再见
Why? I'm sorry?
为什么?什么?
Why does it have to be goodbye?
那么我们是否可以再见呢?
We lost, if it's any consolation.
我们输了,如果这让你感到好点的话
It isn't.
并没有
Anybody who truly loves this country, Denny,
任何一个真正爱着这个国家的人,丹尼
must at least try to
都必须至少
understand the awful truth over there.
对国家丑陋的一面有所了解
One of the reasons it's happening over there
那里发生那样的事是为了
Is so it won't happen here.
保证这里不会发生同样的事
I'm afraid I don't agree with you, Denny.
我想我不赞同你的观点,丹尼
But if Americans can continue to
但是如果我们可以一直从
nurture the expression of differing opinions,
不同的声音中得到启发
what's happening over there will never happen here.
那里发生的事就决不会发生在我们身边
I don't, I don't think
我,我不认为
people recognize our costumes.
人们知道我们在扮什么角色
Maybe we should use the accents.
也许我们要使用不同的口音
I give you my word. I'm not trying to be disrespectful.
我向你保证,我不会评论你的穿着
I just wanted to feel... hot.
我只是想要说?你很正点
Tried it on.
试穿了一下
Looked good. Kept it on.
看上去不错,懒得脱下来了
Doesn't mean I forgive you. Got it.
这不表示我原谅你了,明白
Denny? You look pretty in pink.
丹尼?你穿粉红色真可爱
Not having sex with you. Just the same.
我不会和你上床的,什么都好
What exactly is our costume again?
你再说一次我们的装扮叫啥?
It's, um,
这叫做,呃
"I look good in white tails".
"我穿白色燕尾服很好看"
Ah. Right.
噢,不错
Thank you. Did I say that?
谢谢你,我有对你说过这句话吗?
To Alan Shore you did.
你对艾伦·肖尔,说过
Nothing for you? No.
什么都没对你说? 没有
What are you thinking about?
你在想什么?
It's not a trick question.
这不是一个陷阱
Can I have a solitary, pensive moment,
难道我就不能有一点私人空间
keep a thought to myself?
保留一点自己的想法?
You forgot what you were thinking.
你忘了你在想什么
I don't presume to know whether
我并不想假定这场仗
this is a good war or not, Denny.
到底是好是坏丹尼
But there can be no dispute it's a complex one,
但是毫无疑问这是一场复杂的战争
one that we as a citizenry, as patriots,
一场我们作为公民,作为爱国者
need to be talking about.
必须要了解的战争
Here's all you need to know, put me in charge.
你只需了解的东西是,让我来打这场仗
I'll win the damn thing. No doubt.
我赢定了,那当然
Do you think the army
你认为军方会不会
would let two flamingos enlist?
让两只火烈鸟当兵?
Don't ask, don't tell.
你不问没人会回答
Most of the Cranes in my family were flamingos.
我们克兰家族中大部分都属于火烈鸟,
Indeed.
确实是的

分享到
重点单词
  • conversationn. 会话,谈话
  • complexadj. 复杂的,复合的,合成的 n. 复合体,综合体,
  • affectedadj. 受影响的,受感动的,受疾病侵袭的 adj. 做
  • ultimaten. 终极,根本,精华 adj. 终极的,根本的,极限的
  • suevt. 控告,起诉 vi. 请求,追求,起诉
  • dealingn. 经营方法,行为态度 (复数)dealings:商务
  • premisen. 前提 vt. 提论,预述,假设 n. 房屋和
  • pageantn. 盛会,游行,壮丽的场面,选美
  • militaryadj. 军事的 n. 军队
  • dramaticadj. 戏剧性的,引人注目的,给人深刻印象的 dram