(单词翻译:单击)
Philemon went forward, saying in the heartiest tone: "Welcome, strangers! Welcome!"
菲利蒙走上前去,用最热诚的语气说,欢迎你们,陌生人!欢迎你们!
"Thank you!" replied the younger of the two.
谢谢您!两个陌生人中较为年轻的人回答说 。
"This is quite another greeting than the one we have met with in the village.
这与我们在那个村庄里遇见的问候完全不同 。
Those children — the little rascals! — have spattered us from head to foot with their mud-balls;
那些孩子小淘气鬼们!用他们的泥球把我们浑身上下都弄脏了;
and one of the curs has torn my cloak, which was ragged enough already."
其中的一只恶狗撕破了我的斗篷,它已经破的不能再破了 。
He was dressed in rather an odd way, with a sort of cap on his head, the brim of which stuck out over both ears.
他穿的相当奇怪,头上带着一种类似帽子的东西,耳朵上面的帽檐往上翘起 。
Though it was summer-time, he wore a cloak.
虽然正值夏天,他却披着斗篷 。
Philemon saw, too, that he had on a strange-looking pair of shoes.
菲利蒙还看见他穿着一双样子奇怪的鞋 。
The Marvelous Staff
不同寻常的手杖
One thing certainly seemed queer.
有一件事情看起来确实很奇怪 。
The traveler was so wonderfully light and active that it appeared as if his feet sometimes rose from the ground of their own accord.
旅行者很轻快灵活,看起来好像他的脚有时候自动的从地面上升起来一样 。
"I used to be light-footed in my youth" said Philemon to the traveler.
我年轻时候的脚步也很轻快,菲利蒙对那个旅行者说 。
"But I always found my feet grow heavier toward night-fall."
但是我总感觉到了傍晚以后,我的脚就越来越沉重了 。
"There is nothing like a good staff to help one along," answered the stranger; "and I happen to have an excellent one, as you see."
什么也比不上一根好手杖可以一直帮助你走路 。那个陌生人回答说,正如你所见,我恰好有一根非常不错的手杖 。