(单词翻译:单击)
The Lucky Knife
幸运的刀
Last year, I had a unique chance to work with my uncle, who has devoted his life to studying past generations.
去年,我有一个难得的机会和我的叔叔一起工作,他毕生致力于研究过去的几代人。
I was part of a crew of students he had hired.
我是他雇佣的学生中的一员。
We signed a contract to work with him.
我们和他签了一份工作合同。
He was the boss.
他是老板。
We lived far from the nearest town, and we dined on what we could find.
我们住的地方离最近的城镇很远,能找到什么就吃什么。
Some of the things we ate had an unusual flavor.
我们吃的一些东西有一种不寻常的味道。
We had been there about a month and still hadn't found anything.
我们已经在那里待了一个月了,仍然一无所获。
One day, I began to dig in the soil.
有一天,我开始挖土。
The layers of soil got wetter.
土层变得湿润了。
Soon, I was digging in the mud.
很快,我开始在泥里挖。
My shovel began to get very heavy.
我的铲子开始变得很重。
It felt like it had doubled in weight because the ground had absorbed such a lot of water.
我感觉它的重量增加了一倍,因为地面吸收了太多的水。
Finally, I saw something in the mud.
最后,我在泥里看到了一些东西。
It was an old knife! The handle felt smooth in my hand.
那是一把旧刀! 这个手柄在我手里感觉起来很光滑。
I lifted it up so l could see it better.
我把它举了起来,以便看得更清楚。
There was writing on it.
上面写着字。
It says "it will bring good luck," my uncle said with a smile.
它说“它会带来好运,”我叔叔笑着说。
The next day, we found many more things.
第二天,我们发现了更多的东西。
There were pots and tools.
有锅和工具。
My uncle donated all of the things to a special committee of a charitable foundation.
我叔叔把所有的东西都捐给了慈善基金会的一个特别委员会。
Many newspapers wrote stories about it.
许多报纸都报道了这件事。
It seemed the knife really did bring good luck!
看来这把刀真的能带来好运!
