双语畅销书《艾伦图灵传》第4章:彼岸新星(42)
日期:2017-06-24 08:27

(单词翻译:单击)

As he forecast, he failed to gain a Cambridge appointment.
和艾伦想的一样,他没有获得剑桥的教席。
Ingham wrote from King's, encouraging him to stay for another year, and this made up his mind.
英哈姆从国王学院写信给他,鼓励他在普林斯顿再留一年,这让他做了决定。
He wrote on 19 May:
5月19号,他写信说:
I have just made up my mind to spend another year here, but I shall be going back to England for most of the summer in accordance with previous programme.
我已经决定了,在这里再留一年,但我必须按照之前的计划,夏天回英国避暑。
Thank you very much for your offer of help with this:
感谢你对我的资助,
I shall not need it, for if I have this Procter as the Dean suggests I shall be a rich man, and otherwise I shall go back to Cambridge.
我想我可能并不需要了,如果照院长说的,我能得到保洁奖学奖,那我将会很宽裕,否则的话,我就应该回剑桥。
Another year here on the same terms would be rather an extravagance. …
如果再以这样的方式留在这里,那就有点太奢侈了……
My boat sails June 23.
我将于6月23日启程,
I might possibly do a little travelling here before the boat goes,
出发前我会在这里旅游一下,
as there will be very little doing here during the next month and it's not a fearfully good time of year for work.
这个季节不太适合工作。
More likely I shall not as I don't usually travel for the sake of travelling.
我也有可能不旅游,我不想为了旅游而旅游。
I am sorry Maurice won't be here next year. He has been very good company.
很遗憾莫瑞斯明年就走了,他是一个很好的伙伴。
I am glad the Royal Family are resisting the Cabinet in their attempt to keep Edward VIII's marriage quiet.
很高兴王室坚持对抗内阁,维持爱德华八世的婚姻。

分享到