(单词翻译:单击)
In this lesson you will learn to use the idiom 'carry the day' in your conversations.
这节课你会学习到在对话中怎样使用俗语“占上风”。
Explanation
解释
Windy: To carry the day means to be victorious or to have brought about a good outcome.
Windy:占上风意味着胜利或者引发了一种好的结果。
Ema: That's right, the idiom in fact means to be successful in anything.
Ema:正确,这俗语实际上意味着在任何事情上都会成功。
Windy: Actually this idiom is used in many ways. It may mean profit in business or a winning deal!
Windy:实际上这句俗语被用在很多方面。可以指公司盈利或者意味着连胜!
Ema: Correct! If someone carries the day, it means that he made a decision or had an idea that emerged to be correct or gave positive results.
Ema:是的,如果某人得胜了,就是说他做的决定或者想出的主意证明是正确的或者会带来好的结果。
Windy: Would you give us an example, Ema?
Windy:你能举个例子吗,艾玛?
Ema: Sure. The Barcelona team was losing the game, but Cortez scored two goals in the last five minutes and carried the day for them!
Ema:当然可以,巴塞罗那队输掉了比赛,但科尔特斯在最后五分钟进了两球给他们带来了胜利!
Windy: Yes Ema. It's almost unbelievable how he scored those two goals in the last five minutes and took them to victory!
Windy:是的,艾玛。在最后五分钟射进两球带来胜利真是太难以置信了!
Ema: Here's another example: Suzanne carried the day by coming up with a winning design proposal. We got the account!
Ema:还有另一个例子,苏珊妮想出了一个获奖的设计方案取得胜利,我们得到了奖金!
Windy: Good! Thank you, Emma. Let's listen to some conversations now.
Windy:好的,谢谢你,艾玛。现在让我们听些对话。
Congratulations Terry!
恭喜特瑞
Mark: Hey Terry, congratulations man!
Mark:嘿,特瑞,恭喜你!
Terry: Thank you Mark!
Terry:谢谢你,马克!
Mark: We are really proud of you, my friend! You carried the day for our school by winning the tennis match!
Mark:我们都为你感到骄傲,朋友!你赢得了网球比赛为我们学校带来了胜利!
Terry: Thank you again, Mark. I'm going to practice harder for the state finals.
Terry:马克,再次感谢。我还要为总决赛更加刻苦训练。
Election Results
选举结果
Terry: Hey Windy, I really thought the other Presidential candidate was going to win.
Terry:嘿,文迪,我真的认为其他总统候选人会胜出。
Windy: Yeah! It was very close, but in the end California carried the day by voting for our guy.
Windy:是啊,已经临近了,但到最后加利福利亚的胜出是由我们投票决定的。
Terry: Yes. California has a lot of electoral votes.
Terry:是的,加利福利亚有很多选举人投票。
Windy: They pulled it off for us in the end.
Windy:在最后他为我们取得了压倒性胜利。
Terry: Right! They really carried the day.
Terry:是的,他们已经得胜了。
Straight 'A' Student
连续获得”A”的学生
Ema: How did you end up the term with only 'A's, Mark? I thought you'd got a 'B' in Chemistry.
Ema:马克,你是怎样在最后学期中都获得了“A”?我以为你化学应该得了”B”。
Mark: I thought so too, but the teacher was really impressed by my final experiment.
Mark:我原也这么认为的,但我最后的实验给老师留下了印象。
Ema: Looks like that experiment carried the day for you.
Ema:看起来那实验帮你获胜了。
Mark: Yes, I'm glad I spent extra time on it and wrote a detailed report on the results.
Mark:是啊,我太清醒我花了额外的时间在上面并且对结果写了详细的报告。
Ema: Maybe it was that report that carried the day!
Ema:可能是那篇报告赢了!
Mark: Either way, I'm happy. I got an 'A'.
Mark:一样的,我都很高兴,我得了“A”。