Directions: In this part of the test, you will hear 5 sentences in English. You will hear the sentences ONLY ONCE. After you have heard each sentence, translate it into Chinese and write your version in the corresponding space in your ANSWER BOOKLET.
1. Walking is a skill people learn as a babies, but it is not as simple as that. In any given year, some 15,000 American pedestrians are killed by motor-vehicles.
2. When shoppers are waiting in the check-out line, they can be easily tempted to buy chewing gums and other small items on the racks next to the check-out counter.
3. Even though colleges do not train people for some jobs that are in demand, they train people for other important jobs, without which society would find it difficult to exist.
4. Nearly 7,000 different languages are spoken around the world, but only a handful dominates. In fact, 96% of the worlds’ languages are spoken by just 4% of the people.
5. Dancing is a cultural universal. In many cultures, it often has a central place in festive or religious events. Dancing may also play an important part in culture.