(单词翻译:单击)
"You see I did as you asked me to," she said.
“你知道,我是照你的要求做的,”她说。
"Yes: I couldn't wait," he answered smiling.
“是的,我不能再等待了,”他含笑回答。
After a moment he added: "Only I wish it hadn't had to be at a ball."
过了一会儿又补充说:“我只是希望不是在舞会上宣布。”
"Yes, I know." She met his glance comprehendingly.
“是的,我知道,”她会意地迎着他的目光说。
"But after all--even here we're alone together, aren't we?"
“不过,毕竟——就是在这儿,我们也是单独在一起,不是吗?”
"Oh, dearest--always!" Archer cried.
“哦,最亲爱的——永远!”阿切尔喊道。
Evidently she was always going to understand; she was always going to say the right thing.
显然,她将永远理解他,永远讲得体的话。
The discovery made the cup of his bliss overflow, and he went on gaily:
这一发现使得他乐不可支。他开心地接着说:
"The worst of it is that I want to kiss you and I can't."
“最糟糕的是我想吻你却吻不到,”
As he spoke he took a swift glance about the conservatory,
说着,他朝温室四周迅速瞥了一眼,
assured himself of their momentary privacy, and catching her to him laid a fugitive pressure on her lips.
弄清他们暂时处于隐蔽之中,便把她揽在怀里,匆匆地吻了一下她的双唇。
To counteract the audacity of this proceeding he led her to a bamboo sofa in a less secluded part of the conservatory,
为了抵消这一出格举动的影响,他把她带到温室不太隐蔽部分的一个长竹椅上。
and sitting down beside her broke a lily-of-the-valley from her bouquet.
他在她身边坐下,从她的花束上摘下一朵铃兰。
She sat silent, and the world lay like a sunlit valley at their feet.
她坐着一语不发,整个世界像阳光灿烂的山谷横在他们脚下。
"Did you tell my cousin Ellen?" she asked presently, as if she spoke through a dream.
“你告诉我的表姐埃伦了吗?”过了一会儿她问,仿佛在梦中说话一样。
He roused himself, and remembered that he had not done so.
他醒悟过来,想起他还没有告诉她。
Some invincible repugnance to speak of such things to the strange foreign woman had checked the words on his lips.
要向那位陌生的外籍女子讲这种事,有一种无法克服的反感使他没有说出到了嘴边的话。
"No--I hadn't the chance after all," he said, fibbing hastily.
“没——我一直没得到机会,”他急忙扯个小谎说。
"Ah." She looked disappointed, but gently resolved on gaining her point.
“噢,”她看上去很失望,但决意温和地推行她的主张。
"You must, then, for I didn't either; and I shouldn't like her to think--"
“那么,你一定要讲,因为我也没讲,我不愿让她以为——”
"Of course not. But aren't you, after all, the person to do it?"
“当然,不过话说回来,不是该由你去告诉她吗?”
She pondered on this. "If I'd done it at the right time, yes;
她沉思了一会儿说:“假如早先有适当的时机,我去说也行。
but now that there's been a delay I think you must explain that I'd asked you to tell her at the Opera,
不过现在已经晚了,我想你必须向她说明,我在看歌剧时曾经让你告诉她,
before our speaking about it to everybody here.
那可是我们在这儿告诉大家之前呀。
Otherwise she might think I had forgotten her.
否则她会以为我忘记她了。
You see, she's one of the family, and she's been away so long that she's rather--sensitive."
你知道她是家族的一员,又在外面呆了很久,因而她非常——敏感。”
