(单词翻译:单击)
But in the past, there were very strong unions in the United States.
但在过去,美国有非常强大的工会
Why has union membership declined so much, is it because of that resistance by employers?
为什么工会会员人数下降了这么多,是因为雇主的抵制吗?
Employer resistance is a big part of it.
雇主的抵制是其中很大一部分原因
And we saw that accelerate in the 1980s and beyond.
我们看到这一趋势在20世纪80年代及以后加速
There were strong pressures on the business community, given the high rate of inflation, and the sluggish growth, and increase in international competition, to become more aggressive in limiting what they saw as some of the restrictive policies of unions.
鉴于高通货膨胀率、经济增长缓慢和国际竞争加剧,商界面临着强大的压力,要求他们更加积极地限制他们认为的工会的一些限制性政策
But there are other things as well.
但还有其他一些事情
Clearly unions have been slow to adapt to the changing workforce.
显然,工会在适应不断变化的劳动力方面行动力不够
And now we’re seeing that come home to roost because workers are taking action and asking unions to be supportive, but not necessarily being driven by union strategies.
现在,我们看到报应来了,因为工人们正在采取行动,要求工会给予支持,但不一定是受到工会战略的推动
So it’s more ground up organizing now rather than coming from the top down.
因此,现在更多的是自下而上的组织,而不是自上而下的
Absolutely more ground up organizing.
绝对是更扎实的组织
And I think it’s surprised many people.
我认为这让许多人感到惊讶
But we have to also understand that the pressures for organizing have been building up over a long period of time.
但我们也必须明白,组织的压力是在很长一段时间内积累起来的
We’ve done national surveys of the workforce prior to the pandemic 2017.
在2017年,疫情之前,我们已经对劳动力进行了全国性调查
We found that there’s a voice gap of considerable magnitude, where a majority of the American workforce today says they don’t have as much say as they believe they ought to have on issues of certainly compensation and job security.
我们发现,存在着相当大的话语权差距,今天大多数美国劳动力表示,他们在薪酬和工作保障问题上没有足够多的发言权
But also, what does this company stand for?
但同时,这家公司代表着什么?
What are the values and are they living their values?
他们的价值观是什么,他们是否在践行自己的价值观?
Are we getting respect at the workplace?
我们在工作场所得到尊重了吗?
Do we have means for resolving disputes and conflicts that are fair?
我们有没有办法解决公平的争端和冲突?
What about new technology?
那么新技术呢?
Those are the issues that are on the minds of workers today.
这些都是今天工人们关心的问题
And they’re saying, “We don’t have enough of a voice.”
他们说:“我们没有足够的发言权
And then to top it off, we asked, and this may be a surprise given the decline of unions.
最重要的是,我们问的这个问题,考虑到工会的衰落,这可能会令人惊讶
“Well, if a union election were held on your job and you had the opportunity to vote yes or no, what would be your answer?”
“如果在你的工作的地方举行工会选举,你有机会投赞成票或反对票,你会怎么投票?”
And we saw numbers that were larger than anything we’ve seen in prior decades.
我们看到的数字比过去几十年任何时候都要大
Now about half of the non-union workforce say they would join a union if given the opportunity to do so.
现在,大约一半的非工会员工表示,如果有机会,他们会加入工会
And some recent numbers that aren’t published yet and are still in process say that percentage has gone way over the majority number now.
最近一些尚未公布且仍在计算中的数据显示,这一比例现在已经远远超过了多数人的数字
So we’re seeing the workforce itself saying all the wage stagnation that we’ve experienced, the increase in inequality.
所以我们看到劳动力自己在说我们经历过的所有工资停滞,不平等的加剧
And then the pandemic comes along and it just accelerates all of this frustration.
疫情来临,它只会加速所有这些挫折感
And we see that workers feel they’ve got more power now as the labor market was tightened, and we had all this experience with people leaving their jobs and shortage of workers.
我们看到,随着劳动力市场收紧,工人们感觉自己现在拥有了更多的权力,我们经历了人们离开工作岗位和工人短缺的情况
So workers are saying, “Now’s the moment.
所以工人们说:“现在是时候了
And we’ve been concerned about these issues.
我们一直在关注这些问题
We’ve been frustrated about them. Now we’re going to take some action.”
我们一直感到沮丧的问题