(单词翻译:单击)
Hello, I'm John Russell.
大家好,我是约翰·罗素
Imagine that language is like this ball.
想象语言就像这个球
The ball can go up or the ball can fall down.
球可以向上,也可以向下
Intonation - the pitch of the voice can rise or go down - much like the up and down motion of the ball.
语调——声音的音调可以上升或下降——就像球的上下运动一样
Americans use different kinds of intonation in different situations.
美国人在不同的场合使用不同的语调
Let's explore some ways that Americans use falling intonation.
让我们来探讨一下美国人使用降调的一些方式
Falling intonation is common in simple statements - you know the kind of statements you first learn about when you study English.
降调在简单语句中很常见——当你学习英语时,你第一次学习的陈述句
For example: My name is John. It's nice to meet you. Have a nice afternoon. Have a nice afternoon.
例如:我叫约翰
In each of these statements, my intonation fell toward the end of the sentence.
在每一个陈述句中,到句尾我的语调都是降调
Listen again. My name is John. My name is John.
再听一次
It's nice to meet you. It's nice to meet you.
很高兴认识你
Similarly, Americans often use falling intonation in questions that involve words such as why, who, when, where, or how.
同样,美国人在涉及为什么、谁、何时、何处或如何等词语的问句中也经常使用降调
For example, someone might ask:
例如,有人可能会问:
What's your name? What's your name?
你叫什么名字?你叫什么名字?
How are you doing? How are you doing?
你还好吗?你还好吗?
Where do you come from? Where do you come from?
你来自哪里?你来自哪里?
In all of these cases, I used falling intonation- my voice drops a little bit, almost like gravity pulling down the ball.
在所有这些情况下,我都使用了降调——我的声音稍微下降一点,就像重力把球往下拉一样
In future episodes we will explore rising intonation.
在后面的节目中,我们将探讨升调
That's all for today. Keep up the good work.
以上就是今天的全部内容了