(单词翻译:单击)
I'm Morra Aarons-Mele.
我是莫拉·亚伦斯·梅勒
And this is The Anxious Achiever.
这里是《焦虑的成功者》
We look at stories from business leaders who've dealt with anxiety, depression, or other mental health challenges.
我们关注的是那些商业领袖应对焦虑、抑郁或其他心理健康挑战的故事
How they felt down, how they pick themselves up and how they hope work can change in the future.
他们的情绪为什么低落,他们如何振作起来,以及他们希望未来的工作发生怎样的变化
Today, we're talking about the bread and butter of our show, anxiety.
今天,我们谈论的是我们节目的主要内容——焦虑
That's right. You love it.
没错
Look, it's still a bit before the new year and all the resolutions, which we know don't work.
马上就要到新年了,我们那些决心不知道还能不能实现
But it's never a bad time to think about habits, why we do what we do, what is and isn't healthy for us and what we can do to improve our lives.
但这绝对是思考习惯的好时机,我们为什么要这样做,什么对我们是健康的,什么对我们不健康,以及我们可以做些什么来改善我们的生活
Later in the show, we'll talk to journalists and author Charles Duhigg, who talks about habit loops, changing habits and interestingly, how habits relate with ADHD.
在稍后的节目中,我们将采访记者兼作家查尔斯·杜希格,他谈到了习惯循环,习惯的改变,还有非常有趣的习惯和多动症的关系
But first Dr. Judson Brewer, who will call Jud.
首先是贾德森·布鲁尔先生,会打电话给贾德
He is an addiction, psychiatrist, neuroscientist, and associate professor at the Brown University School of Public Health.
他是一名全心投入的精神病学家、神经学家,也是布朗大学公共卫生学院的副教授
He's also written the book, Unwinding Anxiety and The Craving Mind.
他还写了一本书,《释放焦虑和渴望的心灵》
Here's my conversation with Jud about how and why your anxiety might be a habit.
下面是我与贾德的对话,关于焦虑怎样成为一种习惯以及为什么会成为一种习惯
And you're worrying too.
你也在担心
And why it's a good jumping off point to reframe our anxieties.
为什么这是一个重塑焦虑的很好的起点
You literally write that anxiety hides in our habits, how?
你在书中写道焦虑隐藏在我们的习惯中,你可以解释一下吗?
Well unfortunately these last couple of years, we've seen that on steroids.
不幸的是,在过去的几年里,我们认识到了类固醇
So our survival brains, they are set up to help us avoid danger.
我们赖以生存的大脑,是用来帮助我们避开危险的
And so when something is unpleasant, our brain says, “Ooh, that's unpleasant.
所以当有不愉快的事情时,我们的大脑会说,“哦,那是不愉快的
Let's make that go as quickly as possible."
让我们尽快解决这件事吧
And so we do all sorts of things and anxiety is not pleasant.
所以我们做了各种各样的事情,焦虑是不愉快的
So when we're anxious, our brain says, “Do something."
所以当我们焦虑的时候,我们的大脑会说,“做点什么吧
So we do a number of things.
所以我们做了很多事情
Typically, I see people they'll distract themselves.
通常情况下,我看到人们会分散注意力
So whether they'll eat or they'll drink alcohol or in my addiction clinic, I see a lot of folks who've turned to drugs when they've been anxious.
所以不管他们是吃东西还是喝酒,或者是在我的戒毒诊所,我看到很多人在焦虑的时候就开始吸毒
People turn to social media, binge on Netflix.
有的人诉诸于社交媒体,沉迷于Netflix
It's a pretty long list that I'm sure to some degree, we all can relate to some aspect of it.
这是一个相当长的清单,我相信在某种程度上,我们都从某些方面与之相关
But the irony is that it's our survival brain saying, “Hey, I'm going to help you survive."
但具有讽刺意味的是,我们赖以生存的大脑说,“嘿,我要帮你活下去
But that survival brain in the modern world, it wasn't set up for endless scrolling on social media.
但在现代世界中,大脑并不是为了在社交媒体上无休止刷视频网页而存在的