(单词翻译:单击)
The scientific method is the technique used in constructing and testing a scientific hypothesis.
科学方法是用来构建和检验科学假设的技术
Typically, there are six steps in the scientific method.
通常,科学方法有六个步骤
The first step is asking a question, like, "Why isn't my coffee maker working?"
第一步是问一个问题,比如,“为什么我的咖啡机坏了?”
Then you research.
然后你再做研究
Instead of starting from nothing, you can find out if other people have had issues with the same kind of machine.
而不是从零开始,您可以发现其他人是否也遇到过相同类型的机器的问题
Next, use that knowledge to form a hypothesis--an educated guess about what's going on.
接下来,利用这些知识来形成一个假设 — 一个关于正在发生的事情的有根据的猜测
Maybe it's "The coffee maker isn't working because the outlet it is plugged into is broken.
可能是“咖啡机坏了,因为它插的插座坏了
If I plug the coffee maker into another outlet, it'll turn on."
如果我把咖啡机插头插到另一个插座上,它就会打开
Time to test your hypothesis by conducting an experiment.
是时候通过进行实验来检验你的假设了
Some experiments deal with multiple variables and involve multiple rounds of testing.
有些实验涉及多个变量,涉及多轮测试
In this case, though, you just have to move your coffee maker to another spot on the counter.
不过,在这种情况下,您只需将咖啡机移到柜台上的另一个位置即可
Once you've conducted your experiment, you can analyze your results and come to a conclusion.
一旦你进行了实验,你就可以分析你的结果并得出结论
In this case, if the coffee maker starts working, your hypothesis was correct.
在这种情况下,如果咖啡机开始工作,你的假设是正确的
You can safely conclude that it was the outlet, not the coffee maker, that was faulty.
你可以有把握地得出结论,出问题的是插座,而不是咖啡机
Then you can share your results.
然后你就可以分享你的结果了
Whether that's just telling someone in your house or writing up a formal brief is up to you.
无论是告诉你家里的某个人,还是写一份正式的简报,都由你自己决定
If your coffee maker still isn't working, it's back to the drawing board for a new hypothesis.
如果你的咖啡机还是不能用,那就重新开始做一个新的假设
Time to start the scientific method all over again.
是时候重新开始科学方法了