(单词翻译:单击)
Heavy rain has been coming down for days and it won't let up.
大雨已经一连下了好几天,而且没有要停下来的意思 。
A loud crash outside catches your attention. You look out the window.
外面一声巨响引起了你的注意 。你望向窗外 。
A massive surge of water is sweeping away trees, cars, and buildings with ease.
一股巨大的洪水,轻而易举地冲走了树木、汽车和建筑物 。
A flash flood has overrun your town.
一场山洪淹没了你的城镇 。
The floodwater bursts open your door and starts rushing into your house.
洪水突然冲开了你的家门,涌入你的房子里 。
Hold your breath, because here's how to survive a flood.
屏住呼吸,因为下面会教你如何在洪水中幸存下来 。
You might think that hurricanes or earthquakes top the list of the deadliest natural disasters.
你可能认为飓风或地震是最致命的自然灾害 。
But floods are one of the most common, most destructive, and most deadly natural disasters in the world.
但洪水才是世界上最常见、最具破坏性、最致命的自然灾害 。
Floods happen when water overflows onto dry land.
当水溢出到陆地上时,洪水就形成了 。
This can be caused by heavy rain, ocean waves, or when a dam breaks.
这可能是由暴雨、海浪或大坝决堤造成的 。
They're frequent in coastal areas, floodplains, and areas near a river or stream.
这些情况经常出现在沿海地区、洪泛区,或者是靠近河流或小溪的地区 。
And with rising sea levels and heavier rainfall due to climate change, the number of floods is projected to increase drastically.
随着气候变化导致的海平面上升和降雨量的增加,洪水量预计将急剧增加 。
How can you make your house floodproof?
如何让你自己的房屋防洪呢?
Why should you stay out of the water at all costs?
为什么你要不惜一切代价远离水面?
And what should you do if you're swept away in a flood?
如果你被洪水冲走了该怎么办?
Step 1: Protect Your House
第1步:保护好你的房子
First things first. Protect yourself and your property.
重中之重 。保护好你自己和你的财产 。
If you live in an area that's prone to flooding, one of the best things you can do to prepare is to make your house floodproof.
如果你住在一个容易发生洪水的地区,你能做的最好的准备措施,就是保证你的房子防洪 。
Feeling handy? You can fortify your house by constructing a barrier to stop the floodwater.
感觉很容易吧?你要筑一道可以阻止洪水的堤坝,以此来加固你的房子 。
Building levees, floodwalls, or piling up sandbags can help keep the water out.
建造堤坝、防洪堤或堆积沙袋,都有助于阻挡洪水 。
If the flood breaks through the barriers, the first place it'll reach is your basement.
如果洪水冲破了这些屏障,它最先到达的地方就是你的地下室 。
Sealing the basement walls with a waterproofing coating can help to avoid seepage and damage.
用防水涂料密封地下室墙壁,可以防止渗水和损坏 。
Now that you've prepared your house, what should you do to prepare yourself?
既然你已经让你的房子最好了准备,那你自己该做些什么呢?
Step 2: Prepare
第2步:做好准备工作
When a flood happens, chances are you won't be able to head out for a peaceful stroll to the grocery store.
当洪水发生时,你可能就无法平稳地漫步到杂货店了 。
So stock up on emergency supplies ahead of time.
所以要提前储备应急物资 。
Buy plenty of bottled water, non-perishable food, flashlights, and a first aid kit.
要购买大量的瓶装水、不易腐烂的食物、手电筒和急救箱 。
Oh, and pack a bottle of bug spray too.
对了,还要带上一瓶杀虫剂 。
Floods don't just force people out of their homes.
洪水不仅仅迫使人们离开家园 。
All kinds of bugs and pests will be flooded out of their habitats and into yours.
各种各样的虫子和害虫,也将会被洪水把它们从栖息地冲到你居住的地方 。
Looks like a flood's on it's way. Get ready.
看来洪水就要来了 。快做好准备工作 。
Step 3: Save Your Belongings
第三步:保存好你的物品
A flood warning is in effect. That means a flood is about to happen, or is already happening.
洪水警报已经响起 。这意味着洪水即将到来,或者已经到来了 。
Gather all your valuables, like your computer, phone, important documents, and your pets.
整理好你所有的贵重物品,比如电脑、手机、重要文件和你的宠物 。
Move them to a higher floor where they're less likely to be damaged or lost in the flood.
把这些物品都移到更高的楼层中去,这样就不容易在洪水中损坏或丢失了 。
If you don't have an upper level, try to get your belongings somewhere high and safe, like a family member or friend's home.
如果你家没有更高的楼层,那就尽量把这些物品搬到更高、安全的地方,比如亲戚或朋友的家里 。
Water starts seeping through the cracks of your house. It's rising fast. What should you do now?
水已经开始从你房子的裂缝中渗入了 。水平面在快速上升 。你现在应该做什么呢?
Step 4: Stay out of the water
第4步:离水远一些
If you're at home, don't go downstairs.
如果你在家里,那就不要下楼 。
Instead, get to a higher level above the water. But don't hide in the attic.
相反,要爬到更高的地方上去 。但是不要躲在阁楼里 。
Since most attics only have one way to get in or out, you could easily get trapped in there.
由于大多数阁楼只有一种进出方式,所以你很容易被困在里面 。
If you forgot something in the flood, or are thinking about walking through a flooded area, don't.
如果你把什么东西忘在了洪水中,或者打算穿过一个被洪水淹没的区域,一定不要这么做 。
It'll be hard to determine how deep the water is, and what kinds hazards lie below.
你无法确定水有多深,以及下面有什么危险 。
The water might even be electrically charged from a downed power line.
水面下可能是被冲垮的电线,从而导电 。
And whatever you do, don't drink tap water, and especially don't drink the flood water.
不管你做什么,都不要喝自来水,尤其是不要喝洪水 。
It could be contaminated with sewage, gasoline, or bacteria. Stick to your bottled water.
它可能被污水、汽油或细菌污染了 。要一直喝你的瓶装水 。
The rain's unrelenting. The flood's still rising. Forget your belongings.
雨水无情 。洪水还在上涨 。忘掉你的家产吧 。
Your last resort is to get on the roof and call for help.
你最后的办法,就是爬上屋顶求救 。
But the wind is strong, and an unsuspecting wave pushes you into the water.
但是风很大,让你始料不及的海浪会把你推入水中 。
Step 5: Position Yourself
第5步:把自己的位置固定住
You're caught in the fast moving flood.
你现在掉入湍急的洪水中了 。
Do everything possible to keep your feet pointed downstream and move over obstacles.
尽一切可能让你的脚指向下游,然后翻越障碍物 。
Then, try to grab or climb onto anything that can keep you stable or above the water.
接下来,努力抓住或爬上任何能让你保持稳定或浮在水面上的东西 。
Once you've got ahold of something, yell for help, as loudly as possible.
一旦你抓住了什么东西,那就开始大声呼救吧,越大声越好 。
Step 6: The Aftermath
第6步:洪水过后
You caught a lucky break. A rescue team saved you, and the flood died down.
你很走运 。救援队把你救了下来,洪水也平息了 。
But don't settle down just yet. You've got some cleaning up to do.
但先别放松 。你还有很多善后的事情要做 。
Everything in your home that was in contact with the floodwaters could be contaminated.
你家中所有与洪水接触过的东西都可能被污染了 。
Remember, the water may have been polluted with sewage and diseases.
要谨记,水源可能已经被污水和细菌污染了 。
Disinfect contaminated surfaces, and stay away from any water that still might be electrically charged.
对被污染的物体表面进行消毒,并远离任何有可能导电的水源 。
Once your house is dry and clean, take a rest. You survived a flood.
当你的房子干燥、干净了下来,休息休息 。你这才算是从洪水中幸存了下来 。