(单词翻译:单击)
Every parent's worst nightmare: July 20, 2012, my phone rings at 4:30 in the morning.
那是每位父母最糟糕的噩梦:2012年7月20号,凌晨4点30分,我手机响了。
It's my son Alex's girlfriend, Amanda, saying hysterically,
是我儿子的女朋友阿曼达打来的,她声嘶力竭地喊道,
"Tom, Tom, there's been a shooting, and they dragged me out of the theater.
“汤姆,汤姆,这里有一场枪击案,他们把我拽出了电影院。
They wouldn't let me stay. I wanted to [stay], but they dragged me out."
他们不让我久留。我本想留下,但他们还是把我带出去了。”
I say to Amanda, "Amanda, are you OK? Have you been hurt?"
我对阿曼达说:“阿曼达,你还好吗?有没有受伤?”
And she said no, that she was fine, that Alex had saved her life.
她说没有,她很好,因为亚历克斯救了她一命。
I then say, "Amanda, where's Alex?"
然后我说,“阿曼达,亚历克斯人呢?”
And she says, sobbing, "I don't know, we can't find him. They dragged me out of the theater. They made me leave.
然后她哭着说道,“我不知道,我们找不到他。他们把我拽出了电影院,强行让我离开。
He was shot. I tried to wake him up, but I couldn't wake him up. He wouldn't get up.
他中枪了。我试图叫醒他,但我没办法让他醒来。他起不来。
They dragged me away. I didn't want to leave him."
他们把我拉走,但我不想抛下他不管。”
And I say to Amanda, "The last time you saw Alex, was he bleeding? Did you have any of his blood on you?"
我问阿曼达,“你最后一次看到亚历克斯时,他在流血吗?你身上有没有他的血迹?”
And she cries, "Yeah, a lot," and breaks down.
她哭道:“有的,很多。”然后就开始失声痛哭。
Alex loved Amanda. And he was one of the most honorable men on earth,
亚历克斯深爱着阿曼达。他是世界上最正直的男人之一,
and at the age of 24, he had to make the decision to risk his life in order to ensure she would live.
并且他才24岁,就毅然决定牺牲自己的生命,来保证阿曼达能活下来。
I knew in my heart if he couldn't get up, he was dead.
我心里知道,如果他没法站起来,就一定是死了。
I had just arrived the night before with my wife Caren and my youngest son for a week's vacation in Hawaii.
在前一天夜晚,我和我的妻子卡伦还有我最小的儿子,才刚开始为期一周的夏威夷假期。
We were literally 3,300 miles away. Caren and I frantically started calling his cell phone, to no avail.
我们当时正身处3300英里之外。我和卡伦开始疯狂给他打电话,但都徒劳无功。
We left multiple messages. We then turned to the media.
我们留了很多语音信息,然后我们把目光转向媒体。
But all we could find was information on the murderer and his booby-trapped apartment.
但我们能找到的,只是关于杀人犯的信息,和他该死的公寓。
We tried calling the Aurora police station, but it was impossible to get an answer.
我们尝试给奥罗拉警察局打电话,但想得到答案是不可能的。
But in hindsight, it was understandable.
事后看来,这也是可以理解的。
They were dealing with 12 dead, 70 injured, the carnage so bad,
他们当时正在处理12位死者和70名伤者,屠杀现场惨不忍睹,
the police had to bring some of the victims to the hospitals in the backs of their police cars, because they had run out of ambulances.
以至于警察不得不用警车后座将一些受害者亲自送往医院,因为他们已经没有救护车可用了。
It was a horrific and chaotic scene.
这是一场恐怖且混乱的景象。
We would never see Alex again, his injuries so severe I had to shield even his mom from looking upon him,
我们再也无法见到亚历克斯了,他的伤势是如此严重,我甚至不敢让他妈妈看他一眼,
for fear that would be the lasting image of him in her mind.
生怕这可怕的一幕会在她的脑海中挥之不去。
But you know who we would see again and again?
但你们知道我们会一次次看见谁吗?
The murderer. His pictures were everywhere.
那个杀人犯。到处都是他的照片。
One article was six paragraphs long and featured his name 41 times. The media had made him famous.
一篇六段长的关于那个杀人犯的报道,提到了他的名字41次。媒体使他出了名。
But my firstborn son, Alex, a hero, was absent from those initial reports.
但我的大儿子,亚历克斯,一位英雄,并没有出现在起初的报道中。
Caren and I immediately realized that there was something wrong with the way the media responds to these random mass shootings since Columbine.
我和卡伦立马意识到了其中不对劲的地方,那就是哥伦拜恩校园枪击事件以来,媒体对随机大规模射杀事件的回应方式。
We started doing research, and we realized that if we could change the way the media reports,
紧接着,我们开始着手搜集资料,然后我们意识到,如果我们能改变媒体报道新闻的方式,
we could reduce the amount of shootings and save lives.
我们就能减少枪击案的发生,并拯救生命。
Let me explain. Almost every single random mass shooter has something in common. Can anybody guess what that is?
我来解释一下。几乎每个随机大规模射杀事件的枪手都有共同之处。有人能猜到是什么吗?
They want notoriety. They want to be famous. In fact, these murderers are telling us this themselves.
他们想要臭名昭著。他们想出名。事实上,这些杀手们在亲身告诉我们这个事实。
The Sandy Hook murderer kept a spreadsheet of previous mass murderers and their number of kills.
桑迪胡克小学枪击案的凶手有一张写满了以往大屠杀凶手的列表,以及他们曾杀害的受难者的数量。
The Orlando Pulse nightclub murderer called a local news station -- during his attack!
奥兰多夜店枪击案的凶手在行凶期间甚至还给当地新闻台打电话,
and then stopped to check Facebook to see if he'd gone viral.
然后登陆他的脸书账号,查看他是否已经一夜爆红。
The Parkland murderer recorded and posted a video stating, "When you see me on the news, you'll know who I am."
帕克兰枪击案的杀手记录且上传了一段视频,并陈述道,“当你看到我上了新闻,你就会知道我是谁了。”
The Aurora theater murderer told his psychiatrist that he recognized he couldn't make an impact on the world in science,
奥罗拉枪击案的凶手告诉他的心理医师,他意识到他不能在科学上给世界带来影响,
but he could become famous by blowing people up.
但他能通过炸死无辜的人来出名。
And most telling, the Umpqua Community College murderer wrote on his blog about a previous mass murderer,
最明显的例子是,当安普瓜社区学院枪击案的凶手在他的博客上写到过去大屠杀的杀手,
saying, "I've noticed that people like him are all alone and unknown,
他说,“我发现像他们一样的人,通常孤独且不为人知,
but when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are."
但当他们手上沾了血,全世界都知道他们是谁了。”
A man who was known by no one is now known by everyone, his face splashed across every screen,
他从鲜为人知变得广为人知,他的面貌出现在了每一块屏幕上,
his name on the lips of everyone on the planet, all in one day.
他的名字全世界人们都在提及,这全发生在一天之内。
It seems like the more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight.
似乎是你杀害的人越多,你就越可能在聚光灯下。
These are just a few examples. I could go on and on.
这些也只是部分的例子,还有无数的例子。
These murderers are telling us they want to be famous like the murderers before them,
这些凶手在告诉我们,他们想要出名,像过去的杀手一样出名,
and the media continues to give them exactly what they seek: notoriety.
并且媒体也在不断给他们真正想要的:臭名昭著。
The gun debate is very emotional, and our mental health issues are very complicated.
关于枪支的争论总是容易情绪化,我们心理健康问题是十分复杂的。
Both will take time to correct. But to reduce the carnage, we don't need an act of Congress.
这两者都需要时间来纠正。但要减少大屠杀的发生,我们不需要国会通过法案解决。
What we need is an act of conscience on the producers and consumers of mass media to remove the reward of notoriety.
我们真正需要的是新闻媒体和看新闻的人的良知,来消除这种使凶手臭名昭著的奖赏。
So to save lives, Caren and I launched "No Notoriety,"
为了拯救更多生命,我和卡伦发起了“不要臭名昭著”的号召,
dedicated to challenging the media to protect our communities by adhering to these research-backed principles.
为的是挑战当今的新闻媒体,通过遵循这些有研究支持的原则,来保护我们的社区。
One: report all the facts on the mindset, demographics and motivational profile of these shooters,
第一,报道围绕思维方式、人口学,以及枪手动机的所有实情,
but minimize their names and images, unless they're at large.
但降低他们的名字和照片出现的频率,除非凶手还在逃命。
Two: limit the use of the shooter's name to once per piece, never in the headlines and no pictures in prominent locations.
第二,限制使用枪手们的名字,每个事件只出现一次名字,不许登上头条,并且不许把照片放到显眼的位置。
And three -- Three. I'm not good with numbers. Refuse to publish any self-serving material provided by the shooters.
然后,第三--对,第三。我数学不是很好。拒绝发表任何由枪手提供的对他有利的材料。
To be clear: this is not an infringement on anyone's First Amendment rights. This is not censorship.
我要先声明,这不会侵犯任何人在第一修正案中的权利。这也不是审查制度。
We are merely asking the media to leverage guidelines they already have in place.
我们仅仅只是请求媒体们利用他们已有的准则。
For example, the media does not report on journalists that have been kidnapped in order to protect them.
举个例子,媒体不会报道被绑架的新闻记者,为的是保护他们。
The media does not report the names and images of victims of sexual assault or suicide.
媒体也不会报道性侵受害者或自杀者的名字和照片。
These responsible journalistic practices protect public safety with zero impact on the public's right to know.
这种负责任的新闻报道方式保护了公众的安全,且对公众的知情权没有任何影响。
Academic studies show that the average news consumer wants to hear less about the shooters.
有研究报道表明,一般看新闻的民众们不是很想知道枪手们的信息。
Instead, the media should elevate the names and images of the victims, both murdered and injured, the heroes and the first responders.
相反,媒体们应该用更多篇幅去报道伤亡者的名字和照片,那些英雄们以及急救人员们。
They should... They should promote data and analysis from experts on the fields of mental health and public safety.
我们应该...我们应该推广心理健康和公共安全领域专家的数据和分析。
All the experts agree. The FBI, the International Police Association, the Major City Chiefs Association and A.L.E.R.T.,
所有专家都赞同。联邦调查局,国际警察协会,大城市首领协会,A.L.E.R.T.协会,
the law enforcement organization dedicated to training first responders to stop active shooters, all endorse the principles of No Notoriety.
是致力于培训急救人员来阻止活跃枪手们行动的执法组织,所有人都赞同“不要臭名昭著”准则。
In fact, in 2014, the FBI started the "Don't Name Them" campaign in support of the idea.
事实上,在2014年,FBI发起了“不署名”运动来支持这个想法。
The American Psychiatric Association supports reducing and minimizing the identification of these shooters.
美国精神病学协会支持减少和最小化对这些枪手的身份曝光。
The idea has gone worldwide, with the Prime Minister of New Zealand calling for no notoriety after the Christchurch shootings.
随着新西兰总理在基督城枪击案后号召“不要臭名昭著”运动,这个想法已经遍布全世界。
But as much as we want the media to change, they are for-profit organizations.
但尽管我们很想改变媒体的做法,但毕竟它们是营利性组织。
They won't change unless we hold them accountable.
他们不会改变,除非我们要求他们负责。
The media makes their money from advertising based on the number of viewers and clicks.
媒体们通过打广告来赚钱,这基于浏览量和点击量。
If we can reduce the number of viewers and clicks on any subject, the media will change the way they report on it.
如果我们可以减少任何报道的浏览量和点击量,媒体们就会改变他们报道的方式。
So the next time you see any media organization -- print, digital, radio or television
所以下次你们看到任何媒体--无论是通过是报纸、数字、广播或电视,
gratuitously leveraging the names and images of these shooters, stop watching, stop listening, stop clicking, stop liking and stop sharing.
肆意报道这些枪手们的名字和照片,请不要阅读,不要收听,不要点击,不给它点赞,并且不要分享出去。
Write to the producers, editors, station managers and CEOs of these news organizations.
写信给做报道的人,他们所在的新闻公司的编辑、站长和CEO。
Take note of the advertisers who support those segments and write to their CEOs.
记下赞助这些部分的广告商,并给他们的CEO写信。
Because together, we can push the media to act in the interest of public safety, not profits.
只要团结一致,我们就可以推动媒体,让他们站在公众安全一边,而不是盈利的一边。
It's too late for Alex, and it's too late for my family.
对于亚历克斯来说,一切都太晚了,对我的家庭来说也太晚了。
But please don't join our club by inaction, the club nobody wants to join. The due's too high.
但请不要加入“不作为俱乐部”,那是个没人想加入的俱乐部。它的代价太高了。
Because it's not too late for people who aren't victims yet.
因为对于还没有成为受害者的人来说,还不算太晚。
We have the power to reduce random mass shootings. Let's use it. Thank you.
我们拥有足够的力量去减少这种大规模屠杀的发生。让我们行动起来。谢谢。