关于母乳我们所不知道的一切
日期:2018-03-07 16:12

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Have you ever heard the one about how breastfeeding is free?
你们有听过,妈妈哺乳婴儿提供的是免费餐吗?
Yeah, it's pretty funny, because it's only free if we don't value women's time and energy.
真的蛮可笑的,只有在你不把女人付出的时间和精力当作一回事的时候,你才能说婴儿餐是免费的。
Any mother can tell you how much time and energy it takes to liquify her body -- to literally dissolve herself
任何母亲都能告诉你这有多耗时间和精力。把自己的身体液化--可以说是把自己溶化掉,
as she feeds this precious little cannibal.
来喂这个可爱的食人族宝宝。
Milk is why mammals suck. At Arizona State University, in the Comparative Lactation Lab,
奶是哺乳动物吸吮的原因。在亚利桑那州立大学比较哺乳学实验室里,
I decode mothers' milk composition to understand its complexity and how it influences infant development.
我剖析母乳的成分,去了解其复杂性以及它如何影响婴儿的发育。
The most important thing that I've learned is that we do not do enough to support mothers and babies.
我学到最重要的是我们缺乏母亲和婴儿之扶助。
And when we fail mothers and babies, we fail everyone who loves mothers and babies:
当母亲和婴儿获得的支持不足时,我们也辜负了所有爱母亲和婴儿的人:
the fathers, the partners, the grandparents, the aunties, the friends and kin that make our human social networks.
父亲们、伴侣们、祖父母们、阿姨们、亲友们和我们社会中的人伦网络成员。
It's time that we abandon simple solutions and simple slogans, and grapple with the nuance.
现在是我们该舍弃简单的解决方案或简单的口号,去了解其个中的细微好坏的时候了。
I was very fortunate to run smack-dab into that nuance very early,
我很幸运,很早就能意识到这个细微的差异,
during my first interview with a journalist when she asked me, "How long should a mother breastfeed her baby?"
在我第一次受记者采访的时候,她就问我:“妈妈应该用母乳喂养她的宝宝多久呢?”
And it was that word "should" that brought me up short, because I will never tell a woman what she should do with her body.
就是这个词,“应该”,让我思考了很久,因为我永远不会告诉一个女人她应该用她的身体做什么。
Babies survive and thrive because their mother's milk is food, medicine and signal.
宝宝能生存和茁壮成长,是因为母乳是宝宝的食物、药物和信号。
For young infants, mother's milk is a complete diet that provides all the building blocks for their bodies,
对于数周的婴儿,母乳是一种全面的营养饮食,提供他们身体所要的所有必需物,
that shapes their brain and fuels all of their activity.
塑造了婴儿的大脑,并为其所有的活动提供燃料。
Mother's milk also feeds the microbes that are colonizing the infant's intestinal tract.
母乳也喂养着那些正在婴儿肠道内繁殖的微生物。
Mothers aren't just eating for two, they're eating for two to the trillions.
母亲饮食不只是为两个人在吃而已,同时也是为了数亿个微生物在吃。
Milk provides immunofactors that help fight pathogens and mother's milk provides hormones that signal to the infant's body.
乳汁提供有助于打击病原体的免疫因子,母乳提供向婴儿身体发出信号的激素。
But in recent decades, we have come to take milk for granted.
但近几十年来,我们忽略了乳汁的重要性。
We stopped seeing something in plain sight.
我们对这明显的事情视若无睹。
We began to think of milk as standardized, homogenized, pasteurized, packaged, powdered, flavored and formulated.
我们开始视乳汁为标准化、均质处理、杀菌过、包装的、粉末状的、加添风味和科学配方的。
We abandoned the milk of human kindness and turned our priorities elsewhere.
我们舍弃了人类的母乳,并把我们的重心放在别处了。
At the National Institutes of Health in Washington DC is the National Library of Medicine,
位于美国国立卫生研究院内,在华盛顿特区座落着美国国家医学图书馆。
which contains 25 million articles -- the brain trust of life science and biomedical research.
它存放着2500万个文档--是生命科学和生物医学研究宝贵资料收藏地。
We can use keywords to search that database, and when we do that,
我们可以使用关键词来搜索该数据库,当我们这样做时,
we discover nearly a million articles about pregnancy, but far fewer about breast milk and lactation.
我们发现近一百万篇关于怀孕的文章,但关于母乳和哺乳期的就少多了。
When we zoom in on the number of articles just investigating breast milk,
当我们再深入查看关于母乳的专题文章数量时,
we see that we know much more about coffee, wine and tomatoes.
我们看到,原来我们更了解咖啡、葡萄酒和西红柿。
We know over twice as much about erectile dysfunction.
而我们对于勃起功能障碍的了解更是两倍之多。
I'm not saying we shouldn't know about those things -- I'm a scientist, I think we should know about everything.
我不是说我们不应该知道这些事情--我是科学家,我想我们应该知道一切事物的。
But that we know so much less -- about breast milk
但同时我们也知道我们懂得也太少了--关于动物的母乳,
the first fluid a young mammal is adapted to consume -- should make us angry.
这是新生哺乳动物宝宝第一口喝到的流体食物--这应该让我们觉得生气。
Globally, nine out of 10 women will have at least one child in her lifetime.
在全球,10名女性中有9名会在她一生中至少生一个孩子。
That means that nearly 130 million babies are born each year. These mothers and babies deserve our best science.
这意味着每年有近1.3亿婴儿出生。这些母亲和婴儿值得我们最好的科学协助。
Recent research has shown that milk doesn't just grow the body, it fuels behavior and shapes neurodevelopment.
最近的研究更证明,奶类不仅使身体发育长大,它影响我们的表现,更领导着神经发展的方向。
In 2015, researchers discovered that the mixture of breast milk and baby saliva -- specifically, baby saliva
在2015年,研究人员发现,母乳和婴儿唾液的混合物,特别是婴儿之唾液,
causes a chemical reaction that produces hydrogen peroxide that can kill staph and salmonella.
能引起化学反应而产生过氧化氢,来杀死葡萄球菌和沙门氏菌。
And from humans and other mammal species,
而从人类和其他哺乳动物来看,
we're starting to understand that the biological recipe of milk can be different when produced for sons or daughters.
我们开始明白了母奶分泌的成分会因婴儿的性别而改变。
When we reach for donor milk in the neonatal intensive care unit, or formula on the store shelf, it's nearly one-size-fits-all.
当我们为新生儿加护病房拿取捐赠者奶时,或在架上的婴儿配方牛奶时,它们都是一体适用的。
We aren't thinking about how sons and daughters may grow at different rates, or different ways, and that milk may be a part of that.
我们忽略了男婴或女婴会以不同的速度成长,甚至以不同的方式,而奶类可能是其中的一部分原因。
Mothers have gotten the message and the vast majority of mothers intend to breastfeed, but many do not reach their breastfeeding goals.
很多母亲已经明白和接受这一信息,而大多数的母亲也决定用母乳抚育婴儿,但还是很多人没有达到她们的哺乳目标。
That is not their failure; it's ours.
这不是她们的失败,而是我们的。

关于母乳我们所不知道的一切

Increasingly common medical conditions like obesity, endocrine disorders, C-section and preterm births
日益普遍的医疗状况,像肥胖、内分泌失调、剖腹产和早产婴儿,
all can disrupt the underlying biology of lactation.
所有这些都可能破坏泌乳之生物学。
And many women do not have knowledgeable clinical support.
许多女人都没获得有经验人员的临床支持。
Twenty-five years ago, the World Health Organization and UNICEF established criteria for hospitals to be considered baby friendly
二十五年前,世界卫生组织和儿童基金会制定了“宝宝友好医院”认证的准则,
that provide the optimal level of support for mother-infant bonding and infant feeding.
来提供最有效的方法帮助母亲和婴儿建立关系和婴儿喂养。
Today, only one in five babies in the United States is born in a baby-friendly hospital.
今天,在美国只有五分之一的婴儿是出生在宝宝友好医院。
This is a problem, because mothers can grapple with many problems in the minutes, hours, days and weeks of lactation.
这就是个问题,因为母亲们要面对很多在哺乳期漫长时间中遇到的问题。
They can have struggles with establishing latch, with pain, with milk letdown and perceptions of milk supply.
她们可能遇到婴儿不能顺利含乳的问题,或感到疼痛,或泌乳反射以及母乳产量的错误认知。
These mothers deserve knowledgeable clinical staff that understand these processes.
这些母亲都该获得对过程孰悉且经验丰富的临床人员的协助。
Mothers will call me as they're grappling with these struggles, crying with wobbly voices.
遇到困难时,这些母亲会打电话给我,颤抖的哭音说:
"It's not working. This is what I'm supposed to naturally be able to do. Why is it not working?"
“做不到啊。这是母性自然该能做的,为什么不行呢?”
And just because something is evolutionarily ancient doesn't mean that it's easy or that we're instantly good at it.
虽然这些是自古进化而来的事,但不意味我们一定也能。
You know what else is evolutionarily ancient?
你知道还有什么是上古以来就有的吗?
Sex. And nobody expects us to start out being good at it.
性交配。也没有人期望我们从一开始就很擅长的。
Clinicians best deliver quality equitable care when they have continuing education about how to best support lactation and breastfeeding.
临床医生能提供最佳的护理,他们要继续接受教育,学习如何有效支持哺乳期和母乳喂养。
And in order to have that continuing education,
为了继续推动这种教育,
we need to anchor it to cutting-edge research in both the life sciences and the social sciences,
我们需要同时在生命和社会科学都注入尖端的研究基础,
because we need to recognize that too often historical traumas and implicit biases sit in the space between a new mother and her clinician.
因为我们需要察觉到,很多时候,历史的创伤和隐性偏见常常存在于新手妈妈和她们的临床医生之间。
The body is political. If our breastfeeding support is not intersectional, it's not good enough.
人体是政治化的。如果对于母乳喂养的支持不能彼此产生互动的话,就代表它还不够好。
And for moms who have to return for work, because countries like the United States do not provide paid parental leave,
而对急着返回工作的妈妈,因为像美国这样的国家是不提供带薪育婴假的,
they can have to go back in as short as just a few days after giving birth.
妈妈可能在生育后几天就回家。
How do we optimize mother and infant health just by messaging about breast milk to moms
我们怎样才能优化母亲和婴儿健康,如果只是传递母乳好处的信息给妈妈,
without providing the institutional support that facilitates that mother-infant bonding to support breastfeeding?
而没有体制上的支持,那种促进母乳喂养婴儿的支持,我们怎么可能成功呢?
The answer is: we can't. I'm talking to you, legislators, and the voters who elect them.
答案是:我们是无法成功的。我是在向立法委员和你们的选民呼吁。
I'm talking to you, job creators and collective bargaining units, and workers, and shareholders.
我是在向你们,还有老板们、工会们、员工们和股东们呼吁。
We all have a stake in the public health of our community, and we all have a role to play in achieving it.
我们对小区公共卫生负有成败的责任,我们都要扮好各自的角色来促使它成功。
Breast milk is a part of improving human health.
母乳是改善人类健康中的一环。
In the NICU, when infants are born early or sick or injured, milk or bioactive constituents in milk can be critically important.
在新生儿加护病房,当婴儿早产或生病受伤时,母乳和其中的生物活性成分是至关重要的。
Environments or ecologies, or communities where there's high risk of infectious disease, breast milk can be incredibly protective.
在生活、生态环境,或小区中有高风险传染病时,母乳可以发挥令人难以置信的保护。
Where there are emergencies like storms and earthquakes, when the electricity goes out,
发生紧急情况像台风和地震,当电力供应停止时,
when safe water is not available, breast milk can keep babies fed and hydrated.
当饮用水没有时,母乳仍可以喂养婴儿和提供水份。
And in the context of humanitarian crises, like Syrian mothers fleeing war zones,
而且在人道危机的情况下,像母亲逃离叙利亚战区之时候,
the smallest drops can buffer babies from the biggest global challenges.
只要一滴的母乳,就能让婴儿在面临生死一刻时还拥有一线生机。
But understanding breast milk is not just about messaging to mothers and policy makers.
但是要让人了解母乳抚育的观念,不能只靠提供母亲或决策者信息而已。
It's also about understanding what is important in breast milk
还要去了解母乳的重要成分是什么,
so that we can deliver better formulas to moms who cannot or do not breastfeed for whatever reason.
这样才能给那些不能或不愿意亲喂的妈妈提供更佳的婴儿配方奶粉。
We can all do a better job of supporting the diversity of moms raising their babies in a diversity of ways.
我们大家都可以做得更好,来支持妈妈们以多元化的方式养育她们的宝宝。
As women around the world struggle to achieve political, social and economic equality,
当世界各地的妇女为实现政治、社会和经济平等奋斗时,
we must reimagine motherhood as not the central, core aspect of womanhood,
我们必须重新思考母亲的身份;这不是女性扮演的唯一核心角色,
but one of the many potential facets of what makes women awesome. It's time.
而是女性如此伟大的诸多潜在原因之一。现在该是时候了。

分享到
重点单词
  • compositionn. 作文,著作,组织,合成物,成份
  • abandonv. 放弃,遗弃,沉溺 n. 放纵
  • potentialadj. 可能的,潜在的 n. 潜力,潜能 n. 电位,
  • socialadj. 社会的,社交的 n. 社交聚会
  • majorityn. 多数,大多数,多数党,多数派 n. 法定年龄
  • consumev. 消耗,花费,挥霍
  • supplyn. 补给,供给,供应,贮备 vt. 补给,供给,提供,
  • deservevi. 应该得到 vt. 应受,值得
  • globaladj. 全球性的,全世界的,球状的,全局的
  • intendvt. 想要,计划,打算,意指