(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English @ the Movies -- American Classics
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》(美国经典版)节目,
where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
我们会在这里讲解你在电影中听到的美式英语。
The 1980 movie "Airplane!" uses humorous situations and like-sounding words to tell the story of an airplane flight.
1980年的电影《空前绝后满天飞》,通过使用幽默的场景和发音相近的单词,来讲述一架飞机上的故事。
While on their way to Chicago, the pilot, co-pilot and some of the passengers develop food poisoning.
在飞往芝加哥的途中,机上的飞行员、副驾驶和一些乘客出现了食物中毒的情况。
Passenger Ted Striker, a former fighter pilot, has memories of a failed military operation.
乘客特德·斯特赖克是一名前战斗机飞行员,他一直对一次失败的军事行动记忆犹新。
He is called on to land the plane by another passenger, Doctor Rumack.
另一位乘客,鲁马克博士,要求特德来操控让飞机降落。
Listen for the words, "Don't call me 'Shirley'"
留意听一下Don't call me 'Shirley'这个短语。
Both pilots!
两名飞行员!
Can you fly this plane and land it?
你能否驾驶这架飞机,并且让它降落?
Surely, you can't be serious.
你不是认真的吧。
I am serious and don't call me 'Shirley.'
我是认真的,而且不要叫我雪莉。
Doctor, I've checked everyone. Mr. Striker is the only one.
医生,我问过所有人。只有斯特赖克先生合适。
What flying experience have you had?
你有什么飞行经验?
Well, I flew single-engine fighters in the Air Force, but this plane has four engines!
额,我在美国空军驾驶过单引擎战机,但是这飞机有四个引擎!

What do you think "Don't call me 'Shirley'" means?
你觉得Don't call me 'Shirley'是什么含义?
Is it: Shirley is a female name, or it is a play on words?
是单指雪莉是个女性名字,还是就是一个文字游戏?
Both pilots!
两名飞行员!
Can you fly this plane and land it?
你能否驾驶这架飞机,并且让它降落?
Surely, you can't be serious.
你不是认真的吧。
I am serious and don't call me 'Shirley.'
我是认真的,而且不要叫我雪莉。
"Don't call me 'Shirley'" is a play on words.
Don't call me 'Shirley'是一个文字游戏。
Doctor Rumack acts as if Striker meant "Shirley" a proper noun, but he meant "Surely" an adverb.
鲁马克医生假装斯特赖克说的是专有名词Shirley,但其实斯特赖克说的是副词Surely。
In the end, Striker does land the plane.
最后,斯特赖克成功降落了飞机。
And surely, that's English at the movies. I'm Dorothy Gundy.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》。我是桃乐茜·冈迪。
