工作压力的代价 以及我们该如何减压
日期:2020-09-24 15:40

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Stress -- we all know what it is and we all handle it differently.
压力--我们对它都不陌生,我们也拥有不同的解压方式。
Whether it's our thoughts speeding up or slowing down, eating our emotions or not at all, difficulty sleeping or just getting out of bed.
不管压力让我们脑中的思绪急速运转或是迟缓停滞,让你暴饮暴食,或是食不甘味,让你彻夜难眠,还是无力起床。
Frankly, it sucks. But there's good stress too, you know,
坦白说,压力糟透了。但压力也有好的一面,知道吧,
like preparing for the biggest public speaking event you've ever given. On a global platform.
比如说,当你在为此生参与的最大型的公开演讲做准备。在一个全球性的平台上。
No, even the good stress can mess with you, but it's the bad stress that I came to talk about.
不,即便是正面的压力也会让你头晕转向,但是我今天想谈的是负面压力。
And probably not for the reason you'd expect. I'm a relationship manager for affluent individuals.
而且估计原因出乎大家意料。我是一名为富人工作的客户经理。
Meaning, I work with wealthy folks and their families, hip to hip, helping them achieve their financial goals.
这意味着,我与富豪以及他们的家庭紧密地合作,以协助他们实现财务目标。
I like to keep the economy in mind, because I know that whatever impacts the economy, impacts my clients,
我经常关注经济情况,因为我知道经济若有任何动荡,我的客户也会受影响,
and it turns out stress is impacting the economy in a massive way.
我发现压力对经济有着巨大的影响。
What if I told you that by some estimates, the cost of work-related stress in the US is close to 300 billion dollars annually?
根据一些估算,你知道在美国,工作压力每年造成的损失接近3000亿美元吗?
Workplace stress, the stress causing this massive impact, is related to productivity and wellness.
影响如此巨大的职场压力与人们的工作效率和身心健康息息相关。
Today, that's what we're here to talk about.
今天,我想聊聊这个。
And by the way, it's linked to employee disengagement, chronic diseases that impact your work and work-related injuries and illnesses.
顺便一提,这还涉及到员工离职,影响工作的慢性病,以及工病工伤。
And when you add up the cost of all five factors, it's an estimated 2.2 trillion dollars annually.
当你把这五项因素的成本全加起来,这是每年等值2.2万亿美元的损失。
That represents 12 percent of our GDP. Now I know what you're thinking, "That is a lot of money, and how?"
这是我们GDP的12%。我知道你们在想什么,“怎么会损失这么多钱?”
Stress is this deeply personal thing, it's crazy to think it can have such a massive impact.
压力是一件极其私人的事,所以人们很难想象它会造成如此大的影响。
But consider this thought experiment to explain how.
但试着用着思想试验来解释原委。
Imagine a single mother working a stressful job, in a stress-filled environment, where she sits 90 percent of the time.
想象一位单身母亲,她有一份高压职业,在一个高压环境下工作,她九成的工作时间都处在这个环境中。
Maybe she doesn't have time to cook, so she chooses meals based off of convenience, which usually means what?
她没有时间烧饭,那么她会选择便捷的快餐,这意味着什么?
Overly processed, high-sugar foods.
摄入过度加工的高糖食物。
Over time, this poor diet, mixed with stress from work, leads to a chronic disease. Let's call it diabetes.
日复一日,不良的饮食习惯,加上工作压力,让她患上了慢性病。我们称之为糖尿病。
Medical care cost her and the company more money, which means more stress.
为此,她和她的公司需要支付更多医药费,这意味着更多的压力。
Now, she's worried about her health and making ends meet, so she's probably distracted and less productive.
现在,她担心她的健康状况和收支平衡,她很有可能会分心,降低工作效率。
But she can't be, remember? She's a single mother.
但是她可没法这样,记得吗?她是一位单身母亲。
Now she's thinking, "What if something happens to me? Who is going to take care of my child? Who is going to take care of my baby?"
她现在会考虑,“若我出事了怎么办?谁来照顾我的孩子?谁来照顾我的宝贝?”
More stress. Now take that scenario, tweak it whichever way you'd like, and lay it over the nation,
这会造成更多的压力。现在,你可以稍许改变一下故事中的情形,并放眼全国,
and you might start to see how we run up against that multitrillion dollar cost.
你现在或许可以理解,为什么会有数万亿美元的损失。
This all hits very close to home for me. My father's one of the hardest-working and most intelligent people that I know.
我对这件事感同身受。我的父亲是我认识的最勤劳、最聪明的人。
Don't get me wrong, mom worked and provided too, but he definitely embraced the role of being the primary breadwinner.
别误会,我母亲也工作,并贡献了许多,但父亲绝对是家中的主心骨。
And I'm sure most of us can understand the stress and pressure that comes with taking care of our families.
我确信在座的大多数都能理解照顾家庭带来的的压力和苦恼。
But when you combine that with workplace stress, do you know what could happen?
这种压力再加上职场上的压力,你知道会有什么后果吗?
Developing irreversible high blood pressure, eventually losing function of your kidneys and spending a decade on dialysis -- his fate.
造成的是治不好的高血压,逐渐发展成肾功能衰竭,十年来依赖着做透析,这是他的命运。
Now I'm happy to report that he did get a kidney transplant just last year.
我很高兴可以和大家分享,父亲得到了肾移植,就在去年。
However... However, for nearly a decade, neither the economy nor my family got the benefit from his work ethic or his intelligence,
但是...但是,将近十年,不论是我的家庭还是全国经济都没有从父亲的职业道德或是智慧中受益,
and as he would say, that's just really sad commentary.
而他也会说,这非常可悲。
All I'm saying is, I think stress impacts the economy by reducing productivity and increasing health care costs.
我想说的是,我认为压力影响经济因为它降低工作效率,并增高医疗费用。
Makes sense? Right? But here's what doesn't.
有道理吗?我说的对吗?但没道理的是下面的内容。
Current research from the World Health Organization puts global spending on health at 7.8 trillion dollars.
现今来自世界卫生组织的研究显示,全球的医疗领域的花费高达7.8万亿美元。
Research from the Global Wellness Institute suggests that the 4.5-trillion-dollar global wellness industry
全球健康研究所的研究显示4.5万亿美元的全球健康产业,
grew from 3.7 to 4.2 trillion between 2015 and 2017, and sees that growth into 2022. So what, why do you care?
从2015年的3.7万亿美元在2017年增长到了4.2万亿美元,并会持续增长到2022年。那又如何,你为什么需要关注这件事呢?
Because that growth is nearly twice as fast as the global economy, averaging about 3.3 percent in the same period.
因为这增长速度几乎是全球经济增长的两倍,后者同期平均增长率是3.3%。
So what does all that mean?
那又代表了什么呢?
Every year, we're spending more per year on health, and the industries all about developing overall well-being and living a healthier lifestyle
每年,我们在医疗健康、健康生活和相关产业上投入的钱,
are growing almost twice as fast as the global economy, and yet, we're losing trillions of dollars per year in output. So what's up?
正在以比全球经济发展快两倍的速度急速增涨,与此同时,每年我们还是损失了数万亿美元的产量。这是怎么了?
Well, stress levels are up, and I believe that needs to change.
压力升级了,我觉得这需要改变。
I also believe the way we think about stress needs to change. So let's try by reframing how we view it.
我也认为人们对于压力的观念需要改变。让我们尝试改变看待压力的方式。
See, we tend to think about stress as a consequence, but I see it as a culture.
你看,我们常常把压力看作是一件事的后果,但我却把它看做是一种文化。
Where do most of us spend our time? At work, right?
我们在什么事上花的时间最多?在我们的工作上,对吧?
Where we face that scale of finding that work-life balance.
我们面临需要找到工作和生活的平衡。
So the bonds between work, stress, health and wellness have never been closer.
因此,工作、压力、健康和良好生活之间,从未如此紧密相连。

工作压力的代价 以及我们该如何减压

And yet, there's a massive disconnect in how we approach stress and well-being in the workplace. And we could blame many things, right?
但我们对待职场压力和身心健康方面还存在着很多脱节。我们可以错怪在很多事上,对吧?
New tech, laser focus on shareholder returns, or my favorite, keeping up with the Joneses and taking pictures while we try.
比如新的科技,股东对于收益回报的过度关注,或者我个人的最爱,与远亲近邻的攀比,我们喜欢拍照片炫耀。
But at the end of the day, I'm afraid that we've created a culture where personal care and overall well-being are given the back seat.
但说到底,我担心人们创造了一种文化,把个人健康和良好生活放在第二位。
So how do we move forward? I believe the answer lies in three fundamental pillars.
我们应该如何改变呢?我认为答案存在于三个基本板块。
And if you find yourselves thinking, "Rob, I've heard this before, tell me something I don't know,"
如果你发现自己在想,“罗伯,这些都是老生常谈,说一些我没听过的吧。”
ask yourself, if we already know what to do, then what have we been doing?
问问你自己,若我们已经找到了解决方法,那我们以前都做了些什么?
First, corporations. Specifically, how a corporation's culture and communication style play a pivotal role in the stress and well-being of a workplace.
首先,公司方面。具体来说,公司文化和沟通风格对职场压力和员工的良好状态有着举足轻重的影响。
The DNA of a company is its culture, right? It sets the tone, even goes as far as defining the company.
文化就是一家公司的基因,对吗?它奠定了公司的基调,甚至可以定义整个公司。
But I think companies should invest in the overall mental, physical and emotional well-being of their employees
我认为公司应该在员工的身体、心理和情感健康上多花心思并多做投资,
the way they invest in innovation, R and D, right?
就如公司在创新、研究和发展上做的投资一样。
And do I think that this would increase productivity and reduce stress? I really do.
我认为这种投资会提高员工的工作效率并减少他们的压力。我确信如此。
But for it to really stick, a company has to figure out a way to measure the overall well-being of its employees
但为了真起成效,公司必须找到一种方式来评估员工的身心状态,
with the same accuracy and precision that they project growth and earnings.
其方法应该和预测发展和收入一样精准。
And if this sounds like a tall order, ask yourself what really is a company's most competitive advantage.
如果这听起来要求太高,问问你自己,公司最有竞争力的资本是什么?
Its people. We know this. And just like anything in a company, it has to start at the top.
是它的员工。我们都知道。和公司里的所有事一样,这种改变应该是从顶层开始。
So if you're a leader, openly showing how you care for your mental health and overall well-being is a huge catalyst.
如果你是一位领导,向所有人展示你对于心理健康的重视,对于良好身心状态的重视,是一个很棒的催化剂。
It's no secret I'm a soccer fan, so growing up, I had a couple of coaches.
我是个足球迷,所有人都知道,我成长中,遇到过很多位教练。
And I always had one who would lead the heavy cardio workouts.
有一个总是会带领我们做很多的有氧运动。
He would not stand on the side and spectate. He would participate.
他不会站在场外观察。他会主动加入我们。他
And that did three things. It made it difficult for me to complain.
的行为产生了三种效果。这令我很难去抱怨。
I always made sure to keep up, and I always felt more dialed in to the exercise. It's the same idea.
让我坚持跟上进度;而且总让我更投入训练。这是同样的道理。
And finally, communication. In order for me to really help my clients achieve their financial goals,
最后一点:沟通。为了能确保我的客户达到他们的财务目标,
requires that I actively listen and then respond.
我需要积极主动去听他们的需求并回应。
Let your employees tell you what stresses them out. Let them tell you what wellness benefits they need. And then act.
让你的员工告诉你什么正造成他们的压力。让他们告诉你什么可以让他们状态更好。并付之行动。
And acting on what they tell you will show how serious you take that feedback,
按照他们的建议,付之行动,向他们表明你很认真地对待他们的建议,
and I can't help but feel the company will win in the long run. Why?
如果是这样,公司肯定会获益。为什么?
Because properly equipped employees will be more productive and less stressed.
因为身心健康的职员效率高,压力少。
Next, I'd like to ask help from everyone's favorite uncle.
接着,我要请大家的老大哥帮忙。
That's right, the government has to play a role in this.
是的,政府需要在这件事上负起责任。
The World Economic Forum and the Harvard School of Public Health estimate that from 2011 to 2030,
世界经济论坛和哈佛公众卫生学院预计在2011至2030年之间,
major chronic diseases and mental illnesses will cost the global economy 47 trillion dollars. And it's 2020.
重大慢性病和精神疾病会对全球经济造成47万亿美元的损失。现在已经是2020年了。
Now I'm not saying stress causes all major chronic diseases, or all mental illnesses,
我不是说压力会导致所有慢性病或是精神疾病,
but even if a portion of it is, imagine how much lower that number could be if the government did what it does best -- serve as the enforcer.
但即使一部分是由压力所致,想象这个数字可以降到多低,若是我们的政府尽其所能,当好一位尽职者。
But in this case, for higher workplace standards.
但是在此情况下,是为了提高工作环境的标准。
I don't know, maybe even corporate tax-incentive programs to help raise those standards,
说不定,公司有针对性的缴税政策,可以帮助提高这些标准,
but the best wellness corporate policies and initiatives backed by a forward-thinking government
但是公司对于员工身心健康的政策和企划即使获得有远见的政府支持,
won't matter much without help from the most crucial pillar.
若是没有关键性的支持,就不会有多大作用。
You. hat's right, stress and managing it is so dynamic, you have to play your part.
你。是的,压力和解压的方式多种多样,但你必须发挥自己的作用。
And it's going to benefit you and the economy.
这会帮助到你和经济。
Look folks, I'm not a psychologist, OK?
朋友们,我不是心理学家,好吗?
But I have taken steps to develop my own mental health and overall well-being, so here's my last two cents.
但是我对于自己的心理健康和身心状态做出了积极的响应,这是我最后想讲的几句。
I think a crucial first step is for everyone is to be honest with themselves. About what?
我认为,大家可以踏出的第一步是对自己坦诚。关于什么呢?
About putting your mental, physical and emotional well-being in the rear view and the damage it has caused.
就是正视自己的身心健康和情感状态,并直视自己已受到的伤害。
Honest about placing public opinion above self-preservation. Think social media.
承认自己有时会将外部舆论看得比自我评价重要。想想社交媒体。
Honest about how we define ourselves and what actually does.
正视我们是如何定义自己和定义自己的究竟是什么。
Sure, your career contributes to a portion of who you are.
当然,你的事业的确塑成了一部分的你。
But are we allowing it to define us just a little too much?
但是,我们是否让事业定义我们太多了呢?
And ask, "Is this bringing me the value I saw with what it costs me?" And I don't just mean the dollars.
问问自己,“这是否和付出的代价相等?”我指的不局限于金钱。
For me, being honest meant to get a good, hard look at my relationship with my thoughts, courage and failure.
对我来说,坦诚意味着好好看待自己的想法、勇气和失败。
Started years ago in this tournament championship game, coach comes to me and says, "Rob Cooke, you step up, we can't lose today."
多年前的一场比赛中,一个教练来到我面前和我说,“罗伯,你得挑起大梁,我们今天可不能输。”
So I stepped up. Failed. We lost. Thanks for laughing.
我当然挺身而出,却失败了。我们输了。谢谢你们笑我。
Feels good. No, but... You know, after that, it stayed with me for a while,
感觉真好。我只是开玩笑,但是,这件事缠绕了我很久,
to the point where any opportunity to step up, grow, develop, I'd quietly bow my head, step back.
当我遇到很多其它机会,需要我挺身而出、去成长、发展时,我都会低下头,往后退一步。
And then I discovered mindfulness. And I continued to develop it in my daily life to this day.
直到我发现了正念。现在,我在每一天生活中都不断地练习正念。
To live in the present, the now. Now I get it, mindfulness may not be for everyone,
活在当下。我知道,正念可能不适用于所有人,
but when I think of some of the most successful and impactful people, I see a common trend.
但我想到那些成功人士和有影响力的人,我都看到一个共同点。
Mastery of their mental game. Which includes stress management.
他们都是自己心理状态的大师,其中包括处理压力。
It's all about developing awareness, acknowledgment and acceptance of your current thoughts, emotions, environment and physical state. Right?
这都与培养自己的认知意识,发现并接受自己的想法、情感、环境和身体。对吗?
Now I didn't say never facing stress. But the management of that stress -- that's the benefit, again, for you and the economy.
我不是说永远都不面对压力,而是处理压力的能力,它可以帮助到你和经济。
I'll leave you with this thought. We all know that retirement is all about saving more now for later.
我希望可以给你们留下最后一点。我们都知道面对退休,最重要的是现在多存钱,为以后做准备。
What if we treated our mental health and overall well-being in the same capacity?
如果我们可以用同样的方式对待心理健康和身心状态会怎么样?
Develop and save more of you now for later in life.
在现今多多发展并储存自己,为了以后的生活。
Doing nothing means more cost, and worse, less time.
不做和浪费没什么区别,更糟糕的是,时间在不停流逝。
And of the two, which can't you get back?
两者中,哪一个是你不可失而复得的?
So let's start moving this culture of stress forward, and start living happier, healthier and hopefully, more productive lives. Thank you.
所以让我们直视压力文化,并开始过更开心、更健康、更有效率的生活,谢谢。

分享到