(单词翻译:单击)
The years pass in their hundreds and their thousands, and what does any man see of life but a few summers, a few winters?
历史的洪流奔过百年千年,而一个人短暂的一生不就是几个仓促的夏季,几个渺小的冬天么?
We look at mountains and call them eternal, and so they seem...
我们仰望着高山,便称其为永恒,因为它们看来是这样……
but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea.
然而在时间的长河里,高山升起又倒塌,江河改变了途径,繁星坠下了天幕,雄城没入了汪洋。
Even gods die, we think.
若我们所断不假,连神灵也在生死轮替。
Everything changes.
沧海桑田,世事变迁。”
"Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer.
“魔法或许在远古时代曾是一种伟大的力量,但那个纪元已经永远地失落了。
What little remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that lingers in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading.
如今这点残余就像熄灭的烈火在空中飘散的几缕烟雾,就连这几许轻丝也在不断褪色。
Valyria was the last ember, and Valyria is gone.
瓦雷利亚是最后的灰烬,而它早已熄灭。
The dragons are no more, the giants are dead, the children of the forest forgotten with all their lore.
再没有龙了,巨人也都死去,森林之子和他们所有的知识被世界所遗忘。”
"No, my prince. Jojen Reed may have had a dream or two that he believes came true, but he does not have the greensight.
“不,我的王子殿下。玖健·黎德或许做过一两个自以为成真的梦,但他绝没有绿之视野。
No living man has that power."
活在世上的人没有一个具有那种能力。”
Bran said as much to Meera Reed when she came to him at dusk as he sat in his window seat watching the lights flicker to life.
黄昏时分,当梅拉来找他时,他把这番话原原本本告诉了她。他坐在窗边看着四周灯火逐渐亮起,给夜晚带来生机。
"I'm sorry for what happened with the wolves.
“对狼的事我很抱歉。
Summer shouldn't have tried to hurt Jojen, but Jojen shouldn't have said all that about my dreams.
夏天不该攻击玖健,可玖健也不该随便谈论我的梦。
The crow lied when he said I could fly, and your brother lied too."
乌鸦说我能飞,它撒了谎,你弟弟也在撒谎。”
"Or perhaps your maester is wrong."
“你不认为或许是你家学士错了么?”
"He isn't. Even my father relied on his counsel."
“他没错。我父亲总是听取他的建议。”
"Your father listened, I have no doubt.
“你父亲倾听,这点我不怀疑。
But in the end, he decided for himself.
但到了决定的时刻,他会自己做主。
Bran, will you let me tell you about a dream Jojen dreamed of you and your fosterling brothers?"
布兰,就让我告诉你玖健做过的关于你和你养兄弟的梦吧。”
"The Walders aren't my brothers."
“瓦德们才不是我的兄弟。”
She paid that no heed.
她没在意。
"You were sitting at supper, but instead of a servant, Maester Luwin brought you your food.
“你坐在晚餐桌边,上菜的却不是仆人,而是鲁温学士。
He served you the king's cut off the roast, the meat rare and bloody, but with a savory smell that made everyone's mouth water.
他把烤肉中只配国王享用的部分给了你,那肉半熟而多血,香气扑鼻,惹得在座人人都流出口水。
The meat he served the Freys was old and grey and dead.
同时,他送给佛雷们的部分却是又老又灰的死肉,
Yet they liked their supper better than you liked yours."
但他们对到手的食物却比你更满意。”
"I don't understand."
“我不懂。”
"You will, my brother says. When you do, we'll talk again."
“你会懂的。我弟弟说了,当你懂得它的含义,我们便可以再谈谈。”