(单词翻译:单击)
There's a world renowned topiary garden in the tiny town of Bishopville, South Carolina,
南卡罗来纳州的比肖普维尔小镇上有一个举世闻名的花园,
and that garden was created by this man; a man named Pearl.
而这座花园的创造者就是他——珀尔
"I'm Pearl Fryar, and this is my garden."
“我是珀尔·弗莱尔,欢迎来到我的花园
Pearl started the garden in 1981 with the goal of winning Yard of the Month from the local garden club.
这座花园是珀尔1981年开始着手培养的,一开始为的是拿下当地花园俱乐部主办的“本月最佳花园”奖
"I went to a neighborhood to buy a house,
“我本来是去一个小区买房子,
and the reason they didn't want to sell me the house, they said I wouldn't keep up the yard."
他们却不想把房子卖给我,原因是他们说,我守不住这个小院儿
There was a stereotype at the time that African Americans didn't keep up their yards.
当时,社会上的确有一股风气,觉得非裔连他们自家的小院儿都打理不好
"So I figured that if I could win Yard of the Month,
“所以我就想,我要是拿到了“本月最佳花园”奖,
then the person who made that statement could understand that you can't judge people by one person."
那说这句话的人就知道不能拿一个人来评判所有人了
"Once I got Yard of the Month, people couldn't believe it."
“我真的拿到“本月最佳花园”奖的时候,大家都觉得很不可思议
Pearl now has over 300 plants,
珀尔现在一共种着300多株植物,
most of which were throwaways that came from the recycling bin at a local nursery.
其中大部分都是从当地托儿所的垃圾桶捡回来的
。"I don't water. I don't spray. I don't fertilize. I use no chemicals.
“不浇水,不喷农药,不施肥,也不用化学品
It's all natural.
从头到尾都是自然的生长方式,
It's all pretty well done organically.
有机的方式,一个个的长得也都挺好的
Some of my tallest plants that was recycled is around 30 feet."
我捡回来的那些树,最高的得有差不多30英尺(9m多)的
So many people drove by Pearl's house to see his garden that he opened it up to the public.
不少人为了参观珀尔的花园不惜开车前来,如今,珀尔的花园已经对外开放了
"Hey, that looks like a sheep!"
“看,那棵看起来像只羊哎!”
"A big sheep."
“还是一只大羊
"I would say about 10,000 people visit my garden every year."
“每年来参观我花园的朋友得有上万人了吧
"What else do you want to look at on the map?"
“地图上这些还有你想看的吗?”
"People come from all over the world to see it.
“过来参观的世界各地的朋友都有
I've had people from Australia, Japan, Korea.
有来自澳大利亚的、日本的和韩国的
I wanted to share it because so many people came out and wanted to see it.
我想跟大家分享它是因为想过来看一眼的朋友实在是太多了
You very seldom see something start out so simple and make an impact that this garden has made.
大家应该很少会遇见像我的花园一样,出发点很简单,结果却产生了巨大的影响的事物
The garden is about love,
我的花园的内核就是一个“爱”字,
and the last thing you see before you leave my garden is 'love,peace and goodwill.'"
大家离开我的花园之前看到的最后一样东西就是‘爱、和平和善意’这几个字
。”