(单词翻译:单击)
What those characters are speaking isn't gibberish,
这些角色说的话并不是胡言乱语,
it's actually a language called Dothraki
他们说的实际上是一种叫“多斯拉克语”的语言 。
and it was invented by this guy David Peterson in lovely Orange County, California.
而这种语言是由加州橘郡——一个非常可爱的地方——的大卫·彼得森发明的 。
David Peterson is what we call a con-langer and inventor of languages.
大卫·彼得森就是我们所说的“con-langer”,即语言发明家 。
Con-langing is the intentional creation of a full language,
发明语言就是有意地创造一门完整的语言,
creating its full grammar, its full phonology, its writing system if it has one and its entire lexicon.
包括为它创造完整的语法,完整的音系,如果有书写体系的话,还要创造它的书写体系和一整套词汇的过程 。
David has written many languages, but the first one he wrote was back in 2000.
大卫已经创造了很多种语言,而他第一次创造语言是2000年的时候 。
I was taking an intro linguistics class at UC Berkeley in 2000
那时候我正在加州大学伯克利分校上语言学导论课,
and it was just one day during class I started scribbling on my note and it's my very first language.
有一天课上,我在笔记本上涂鸦,结果就涂鸦出了我的第一种语言 。
He named it after his girlfriend...named David...
他还起了个和他女朋友一样的名字……叫“大卫”……
And according to David himself...it's irredeemably awful, it's just not...it's not worth it, even considering anymore.
据大卫自己说…简直糟糕到无以加复的地步,根本就不…不值得,看都不值得看一眼 。
Everything I was doing with this language was just a kind of really fancy, bizarre way to speak English.
我创造这门语言只是为了创造一种非常奇特的说英语的方式 。
So I kind of just started over and said, alright, ground zero, how do I be a language creator?
也就是说我基本上是完全从头来过,我对自己说,好吧,从零开始,我要怎么创造语言呢?
Before we move forward, let's take a quick step back and talk about the Godfather of modern conlangers J.R.R Tolkien.
在我们继续这个问题之前,让我们先快速回顾一下现代语言发明的教父J.R.R.托尔金 。
You probably know this name, because he's the author of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
你可能听过这个名字,因为他就是《霍比特人》和《指环王》的作者 。
He created fourteen different languages for use within middle-earth.
他为中土就创造了14种不同的语言 。
Quenya and Sindarin are probably his most famous.
而昆雅语和辛达语应该算是那些语言中名气最大的两种 。
He was the very first person that we know of to create languages just for fun, and we've been kind of emulating him ever since.
托尔金是我们所知道的第一个仅仅为了好玩而创造语言的人,而且从那以后,我们一直都是在模仿他 。
Now that we've cleared that up, we can move forward.
现在这个问题已经解决了,我们可以继续回到刚才的问题了 。
We're here in California because we're curious about what it takes to create a successful language.
本期节目我们来到了加州,因为我们很好奇创造一门成功的语言到底需要哪些因素 。
David's having two of his friends who are also conlangers come over and speak with us, one of them brought ice cream.
大卫有两个朋友也是语言发明家,我们联系上了他们,他们会过来大卫家作客,其中一人还带了冰淇淋过来 。
We were gonna do this outside, but it's too hot, so we're gonna do it inside.
我们本来准备在室外录这期节目,但外面实在太热了,所以我们还是决定在室内做 。
The three of them are talking about how languages are created, and they've come up with five steps.
他们三个人在讨论语言是如何产生的,最后,他们总结出了五个步骤 。
Take it away, guys.
小伙伴儿们,赶紧偷师啊 。
Oh, so, all right.
啊,哦,好吧 。
A naturalistic conlanging means five basic things.
一般,创造语言都意味着五个基本的要素 。
One, the people. What they do? who their neighbors are?
一,使用这种语言的人 。他们是做什么的?他们的周边都有谁?
The second thing that you're going to need is a phonology or sound system.
第二个要素是音系或这种语言的声音系统 。
Do you have voiced and voiceless consonants? do you have aspirated consonants?
有没有浊辅音和清辅音?有没有送气辅音?
Three, words. All the nouns, all the verbs, all the modifiers.
第三个要素:单词 。所有的名词,动词、修饰词等等 。
Fourth, grammar, which is the fun part.
第四个要素:语法,这也是比较有意思的一个部分 。
Finally, history. You know, how the meanings of words changed over time
最后是历史 。也就是单词的意思是如何随着时间演变的,
and you need to know how the grammar of your language evolved from a time in the distant past to what's used now.
你需要知道,你创造的这门语言的语法是如何从遥远的过去发展到现在的 。
Now that we've got that settled, let's finish this.
问题解决完毕,准备收尾 。
In the past 15 years, somebody who created language went from somebody who was like, "oh, you're a nerd"
在过去的15年里,创造语言的人从被人说"啊,你真是个书呆子"
to you know, "oh, wow, that's, that's really nerdy", which now means cool.
变成了被人说,“啊,哇,还真是个怪咖啊”,就是说你很酷 。
Its prolific use in television and film proves that it's not just a passing fancy.
新创造的那些语言被电视和电影作品大量使用,证明它们并非一时之念 。
For television, the difference between a created language and some other set prop is that
对于电视来说,一种创造出来的语言和其他道具的区别在于
the maximum level of interaction that if you were ever has with a background set or with a prop is just seeing it on-screen.
语言具有最大程度的互动,语言是有其背景的,道具则只是在荧幕上走个过场而已 。
A language on the other hand when you hear it, that's the, that's the most real a language ever gets.
而当你听到一种语言,那是,那是最真实的语言 。
For that reason, you have to have a fully created language for a television show, and not just a bunch of gibberish.
因此,我们必须为电视节目创造一种完整的语言,而不是一堆胡言乱语 。
Is that good? Sounds great. Thank God.
还行吗?挺好的 。谢天谢地 。