我们该为气候变化使百万人流离失所做好准备
日期:2020-05-20 14:40

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

It was about two years after Hurricane Katrina that I first saw the Louisiana flood maps.
我第一次看到路易斯安娜州洪水地图时,“卡特里娜飓风”已经过去两年了。
These flood maps are used to show land loss in the past and land loss that is to come.
这些洪水地图用来显示过去的土地流失和即将到来的土地流失。
On this particular day, at a community meeting,
在这个特别的日子举办的一个社区会议上,
these maps were used to explain how a 30-foot tidal surge that accompanied Hurricane Katrina
这些地图被用来阐释一个伴随着卡特里娜飓风的9米多高的潮汐波浪,
could flood communities like mine in south Louisiana and communities across the Mississippi and Alabama coast.
会如何将路易斯安娜州南部的社区,以及密西西比州和阿拉巴马州海岸的社区淹没。
It turns out that the land we were losing was our buffer from the sea.
事实上,地图中这片正在流失的土地是海洋与陆地之间的缓冲带。
I volunteered to interact with the graphics on the wall,
我自愿去参与绘制墙上的这些图像,
and in an instant my life changed for the second time in two years.
在那一刻,我的生活发生了两年来的第二次变化。
The graphic showed massive land loss in south Louisiana and an encroaching sea, but more specifically,
图像显示了在路易斯安那州南部的大面积土地流失以及渐渐渗入的海水,但是也更具体的,
the graphic showed the disappearance of my community and many other communities before the end of the century.
显示了我生活的社区以及本世纪末之前建立的许多其他社区的消失。
I wasn't alone at the front of the room.
屋子里并不是只有我一个人。
I was standing there with other members of south Louisiana's communities -- black, Native, poor.
其它来自路易斯安娜州南部社区的成员们和我一起站在那里--黑人,当地人,穷人。
We thought we were just bound by temporary disaster recovery,
我们以为我们只是因为短暂的灾难恢复而连结在一起,
but we found that we were now bound by the impossible task
但是我们发现,我们现在是为了一个不可能完成的任务而站在一起,
of ensuring that our communities would not be erased by sea level rise due to climate change.
为了保证我们的社区将来不会被因气候变化导致的海平面上升而淹没消失。
Friends, neighbors, family, my community: I just assumed it would always be there.
朋友,邻居,家庭,我的社区:我曾以为他们一直都在那里。
Land, trees, marsh, bayous: I just assumed that it would be there as it had been for thousands of years.
土地,树木,沼泽,河流:我曾以为它们会像几千年以来那样一直在那里。
I was wrong. To understand what was happening to my community, I had to talk to other communities around the globe.
但是我错了。为了弄清楚我的社区正在发生的事情,我必须和全球的其它社区进行交流。
I started in south Louisiana with the United Houma Nation.
我从路易斯安那州南部的霍马民族联盟开始。
I talked to youth advocates in Shishmaref, Alaska.
我在阿拉斯加的希什马廖夫与青年倡导者进行了交谈。
I talked to fisherwomen in coastal Vietnam, justice fighters in Fiji,
我跟越南沿海的渔民,斐济的正义战士,
new generations of leaders in the ancient cultures of the Torres Straits.
以及托雷斯海峡古文化中的新生代的领袖都交谈过。
Communities that had been here for thousands of years were suffering the same fate,
这些社区生活在这里已经有上千年的历史了,他们正在遭遇同样的命运,
and we were all contemplating how we would survive the next 50.
所以我们都在思考未来50年我们将怎样生存下去。
By the end of the next century, it's predicted that more than 180 million people will be displaced due to climate change,
到下一个世纪末,据预测,超过1.8亿人将会因为气候变化而流离失所,
and in south Louisiana, those who can afford to do so are already moving.
而且在南路易斯安那州,那些有能力的人已经在搬家。
They're moving because south Louisiana is losing land at one of the fastest rates on the planet.
他们搬家的原因是,南路易斯安那州的土地是这个星球上土地锐减率最快的地方之一。
Disappearance is what my bayou community has in common with other coastal communities.
消失是河口社区与其他沿海社区的共同点。
Erasure is what communities around the globe are fighting as we get real about the impacts of climate change.
当我们对气候变化的影响有所了解时,全球各地的社区就开始了对抗消失的行动。
I've spent the last 14 years advocating on behalf of communities that have been directly impacted by the climate crisis.
在过去14年中,我一直在代表那些受气候恶化直接影响的社区发声。
These communities are fighting discrimination within climate disaster recovery,
这些社区正在与气候灾难后的歧视做斗争,
and they're also trying to balance mass displacement of people with an influx of others who see opportunity in starting anew.
而且他们正在平衡大量流离失所的人口和开始涌入的看到重生机遇的人口。
Since 2005, people have been called "refugees" when they leave when they're displaced by climate disaster,
从2005年开始,那些因为气候灾难而背井离乡的人被称为“难民”,
even when they don't cross international borders.
即使他们没有跨越国界。
These terms, these misused terms, that are meant to identify the other, the victim,
这些粗鄙的术语,旨在识别其他人,受害者,
the person who is not supposed to be here, these terms are barriers to economic recovery,
一个在这个地方不被接受的人,这些术语就是障碍,经济恢复的障碍,
to social integration and to the healing required from the climate crisis and climate trauma.
社会团结的障碍,以及治愈气候灾难和创伤的障碍。
Words matter. It also matters how we treat people who are crossing borders.
文字很重要,我们如何去界定那些跨越边境的人也很重要。
We should care about how people who are crossing borders today to seek refuge and safety are being treated,
我们应该去关心那些今天越过边境线去寻找避风港和安居地的人是怎样被安顿的,
if for no other reason than it might be you or someone you love who needs to exercise their human right to migrate in the nearby future.
您或您所爱的人也很可能在不久的将来需要行使人权,举家迁移。
We must start preparing for global migration today. It's a reality now.
如今,我们必须为全球移民做好准备。是时候面对现实了。
Our cities and our communities are not prepared.
我们的国家,我们的社区都还没准备好。
In fact, our economic system and our social systems are only prepared to make profit off of people who migrate.
事实上,我们的经济系统、社会系统只准备好了从移民中获利。
This will cause rounds of climate gentrification, and it will also penalize the movement of people,
这将导致一轮又一轮的气候士绅化,也会对人员流动造成不利影响,
usually through exploited labor and usually through criminalization.
这些影响往往通过剥削劳工和刑事犯罪来体现。
Climate gentrification that happens in anticipation of sea level rise is what we're seeing in places like Miami,
我们在迈阿密等地看到了因预期海平面上升而发生的气候士绅化,
where communities that were kept from the waterfront
在那里,原本远离海滨的社区
are now being priced out of the high ground where they were placed originally as people move away from the coast.
由于人们搬离海岸,现在被高昂的房价赶出了原来的位置。
These folks are being moved, forced to relocate away from the social and economic systems that they need to survive.
这些人们被迫搬家,重新从他们赖以生存的社会和经济体系搬走。
Climate gentrification also happens in the aftermath of climate disaster.
气候士绅化也会在气候灾难余波中出现。
When massive amounts of people leave a location for an indefinite amount of time, we see others come in.
当大量的人员在一定时间内离开某个地方,我们会看到有其他人涌入。
We also see climate gentrification happen when damaged homes are now "green built," but now have a higher value,
我们也看到了当被毁的家园经过翻新而市值升高,
generally outside of the reach of black and brown and poor people who want to return home.
从而导致想要回家的黑人、棕色人种和穷人被拒之门外所带来的气候士绅化。
The price difference in rents or the ownership of a house
租金或者房屋所有权的差别,
is the difference between being able to practice your right, your human right to return home as a community,
决定了你是否能够行使以社区的身份返回家园的人权,
or be forced to resettle somewhere else less climate resilient, less expensive and alone.
还是只能被迫搬到气候更差的,更便宜的隔绝之地。
The climate crisis is a much larger conversation than reducing CO2 emissions,
比起减少二氧化碳排放,气候危机问题的范围要大得多,
and it is a much different conversation than just extreme weather.
极端天气不能与之相提并论。
We're facing a shift in every aspect of our global reality.
我们正面临着全球现实问题的各个方面都在转变的阶段。
And climate migration is just one small part,
而气候移民只是一小部分罢了,
but it's going to have ripple effects in both coastal cities and cities in the interior.
但是它将会带来连锁反应,无论是在沿海国家还是内陆国家。

我们该为气候变化使百万人流离失所做好准备

So what do we do? I have a few ideas.
那么我们该怎么做呢?我有一些不成熟的小建议。
First, we must reframe our understanding of the problem. Climate change is not the problem.
首先,我们必须审视我们对问题的理解。气候变化不是真正的问题。
Climate change is the most horrible symptom of an economic system that has been built for a few
气候变化是一个经济体制最可怕的症结,这个体制是为了少数人而建的,
to extract every precious value out of this planet and its people,
目的是从这个星球上和人类身上提取每一寸珍贵的价值,
from our natural resources to the fruits of our human labor.
从我们自然资源中,从人类劳工的劳动果实中。
This system has created this crisis.
是这个体制制造了危机。
We must have the courage to admit we've taken too much.
我们必须有勇气去承认,是我们索取得太多了。
We cannot close our eyes to the fact
我们不能对这样的事实视而不见,
that the entire world is paying a price for the privilege and comfort of just a few people on the planet.
对全世界正在为特权和这个地球上少数人的舒适而买单的事实。
It's time for us to make society-wide changes to a system that incentivizes consumption to the point of global imbalance.
是时候为我们自己去呼吁广泛的社会整改,去改变这种为刺激消费而使世界失衡的状态了。
Our social, political and economic systems of extraction
我们的社会、政治和经济体制的榨取行为,
must be transformed into systems that regenerate the earth and advance human liberty globally.
必须转变为让地球可持续发展和促进全球人类自由的行为。
It is arrogance to think that technology will save us.
认为科技会拯救我们的想法是狂妄自大的。
It is ego to think that we can continue this unjust and extractive approach to living on this planet and survive.
认为我们可以继续以这种不平等和榨取的方式生活及生存在这个星球上的想法是自负的。
To survive this next phase of our human existence,
为了拯救人类生存的下一阶段,
we will need to restructure our social and economic systems to develop our collective resilience.
我们将需要重构我们的社会和经济系统来改善我们的集体韧性。
The social restructuring must be towards restoration and repair of the earth
社会重构必须朝着恢复和修复地球的方向,
and the communities that have been extracted from, criminalized and targeted for generations.
朝着挽救那些世代被压榨、被犯罪笼罩和被定为犯罪目标的群体的方向努力。
These are the frontlines. This is where we start.
这些就是斗争的前沿。这就是我们的起点。
We must establish a new social attitude to see migration as a benefit,
我们必须建立一种新的社会心态,将移民视为一种福利,
a necessity for our global survival, not as a threat to our individual privilege.
一种人类全球性生存的必要条件,并不是一种对个人特权的威胁。
Collective resilience means developing cities that can receive people
集体韧性意味着完善城市,从而可以接纳人们
and provide housing, food, water, health care and the freedom from overpolicing for everyone,
并且给他们提供住处、食物、水、医疗给每一个人从过度管制中脱离的自由,
no matter who they are, no matter where they're from.
无论他们是谁,无论他们从哪里来。
What would it mean if we started to plan for climate migration now?
如果我们现在开始计划气候移民,这将意味着什么?
Sprawling cities or declining cities could see this as an opportunity
正在发展的城市和正在衰败的城市可以把这当作一个机遇,
to rebuild a social infrastructure rooted in justice and fairness.
去重新建立根植于正义和公平的社会基础设施。
We could actually put money into public hospitals and help them prepare for what is to come through climate migration,
我们可以为公立医院注入资金,来帮助他们为迎接即将到来的气候移民做好准备,
including the trauma that comes with loss and relocation.
包括抚平人们因流离失所所经受的创伤。
We can invest more of our time in justice, but it cannot be for temporary gain,
我们可以投资更多时间维护正义,但这不能为了一时的收益,
it cannot be to help budget shortfalls, it has to be for long-term change and it has to be to advance justice.
也不能为了缓解财政不足,这样做应该是为了长期性的改变,而且应该是促进正义的。
It's already possible, y'all.
这些都是十分可行的。
After Hurricane Katrina, universities and high schools around the US took in students
卡特里娜飓风之后,全美国的大学和高中接收了大量的学生,
to help them finish their semester or their year without missing a beat.
以帮助他们完成学业或在学年中不掉队。
Those students are now productive assets in our community,
这些学生现在是我们社区中的生产力,
and this is what our communities, our businesses and our institutions need to get ready for now. The time is now.
所以这就是我们的社区和业务以及各机构需要为此做好的准备。就是现在。
So as we reframe the problem in a more truthful way and we restructure our social systems in a more just way,
当我们为了用更正确的方式去重新认识问题,用更便捷的方式重构我们的社会系统时,
all that will be left is for us to reindigenize ourselves and to conjure a power of the most ancient kind.
剩下的就是让我们重新回归自我,然后“听天由命”。
This necessarily means that we must learn to follow -- not tokenize, not exotify, not dismiss
这必然意味着我们必须学会遵循--不搞特权,不区别化,不玩忽职守,
the leadership and the traditional knowledge of a particular local place.
特定地区的领导力和固有知识。
It means that we must commit to standards of ecological equity and climate justice and human rights as the basis,
这就意味着我们必须围绕着生态平衡标准、气候公正以及人权,将这些作为基准点,
a base standard, a starting point, for where our new society is to go.
一个起点,新社会的起点。
All of this requires us to recognize a power greater than ourselves and a life longer than the ones we will live.
所有这些都需要我们意识到一个比人类自身更伟大的力量,和一个比我们任何一个人的寿命都更长的生命。
It requires us to believe in the things that we are privileged enough not to have to see.
它要求我们相信那些我们有幸不必看到的事物。
We must honor the rights of nature. We must advance human rights for all.
我们必须敬畏自然的权利。我们必须促进人人享有人权。
We must transform from a disposable, individual society
我们必须从不可持续的,孤立的社会
into one that sees our collective, long-term humanity, or else we will not make it.
转变为一个可以看到团结的、长远的人性的社会,我们别无选择。
We must see that even the best of us are entangled in an unjust system,
我们必须看到,即使我们当中最努力的人也陷入到了不公平的制度当中,
and we must acknowledge that the only way you're going to survive
我们也要必须认识到想要生存下去的唯一途径
is for us to figure out how to reach a shared liberation together.
就是想办法一起实现共同的解放。
The good news is we come from powerful people.
好消息是,我们遗传了祖先的力量。
We come from those who have, in one way or another, survived so far to be us here today.
我们是那些曾经以某种方式幸存下来的人类的后裔,直到今天这些人类都生存在这个星球上。
This is reason enough to fight.
凭借这一原因就足以去对抗。
And take it from your south Louisiana friend, those hardest fights are the ones to celebrate.
和你的南路易斯安那朋友一起,和他们一起庆祝那些艰难的抗争。
Let's choose to make this next phase of our planetary existence beautiful,
让我们选择使地球生存的下一个阶段变得更美好,
and while we're at it, let's make it just and fair for everyone.
既然我们生活在这里,那就让我们的经济体制对每一个人公平。
We can do this, y'all. We can do this, because we must.
各位,我们可以做到。我们一定可以做到,因为我们必须这样做。
We must, or else we lose our planet and we lose ourselves.
我们别无选择,否则我们就会失去我们赖以生存的星球,迷失我们自己。
The work starts here. The work starts together. This is my offering.
这些工作应该从这里开始。这些工作应该合作开展。这就是我的倡议。
Thank you for receiving it. Merci.
感谢你们的聆听。谢谢。

分享到