我喜欢警察这个职业 但是我们需要改变
日期:2017-08-28 21:33

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I have been a police officer for a very, very long time.
我当警官当了很长很长的时间。
And you see these notes in my hand because I'm also a black preacher.
而你会看到我手上有笔记,因为我也是一位黑人牧师。
And if you know anything about black preachers, we'll close, and then we'll keep going for another 20 minutes.
如果你了解黑人传道者,我们说完后,还可以再讲二十分钟。
So I need this to keep pushing this thing forward.
所以我需要这笔记来推动我的演讲。
I've been a police officer for a very long time, and I mean I predated technology. I'm talking about before pagers.
我当警官当了很长很长的时间。甚至早于很多科技的出现。比如传呼机。
Laugh if you want to, but I'm telling the truth.
想笑就笑吧,但是我说的是真的。
I predate War on Our Fellow Man -- I mean, War on Drugs. I predate all of that.
我比同事更早的加入了这场战斗,我指对抗毒品的战斗。我比所有人都早。
I predate so much and I've been through ebbs and flows and I've been through good and bad times,
早很多。我经历过起起落落,我经历过好的坏的时光。
and still I absolutely love being a police officer.
至今我仍义无反顾地钟爱成为一位警官。
I love being a police officer because it's always been a calling for me and never a job.
我钟爱成为一位警官,因为那是一份感召,而非仅是一份工作。
And even with that, my personal truth is that law enforcement is in a crisis.
可就算这样,我个人仍然相信法律的执行现处于危机。
It's an invisible crisis, and it has been for many, many years.
这是一个无形的危机,而且由来已久。
Even though we in law enforcement say, "You know what? We can't arrest our way out of this."
尽管我们在执法机构这样说,“你知道什么?我们不能胡乱地逮捕。”
We say in law enforcement things like, "Yeah, it's illegal to profile."
我们在执法机构中说:“对,这样描述是非法的。”
You know what? In law enforcement, we even agree that we have to adopt this thinking and become more oriented to community policing.
你知道吗?在执法机构,我们同意这样的想法,更倾向于以社区警察为工作重心。
And yet all the while, still, we continue in the same vein, the same vein that contradicts everything that we just admitted.
不过长时间以来,我们继续着另外一种管理方式,那种方式违悖我们承认的一切。
And so that's the reason for me, several years ago.
这导致我数年前作出了一个决定。
Because I was tired of the racism, I was tired of discrimination, I was tired of the "-isms" and the schisms.
因为我厌倦了种族主义和歧视,厌倦了各种“主义”和分裂。
I was just so tired. I was tired of the vicious cycle,
我是多么的疲倦。我受够了这个恶性循环,
and I was tired of it even in the beloved agency in the department that I still love today.
即使我现在在我所喜欢的部门下的小组中。我还是受够了。
And so my wife and I, we sat down and we decided and we targeted a date that we would retire.
我和妻子都受够了这些,我们坐下,我们决定了一个我们都退休的日子。
We would retire and I would go off into the sunset, maybe do ministry full time, love my wife a long time.
我们将退休,共度晚年。也许当全职牧师,花更长时间爱我的妻子。
Y'all know what I'm talking about.
你们懂的。
But we decided that I would retire. But then there was a higher power than I.
但是,在我作出我将退休的决定时,被一种比我更伟大的力量所触动。
There was a love for the city that I loved, that I grew up in, that I was educated in -- a city that pulled my heart back into the system.
那是对这个城市的爱。我爱这个城市,在这里长大,在这里受到教育。这个城市,重新让我投身于我的行业。
So we didn't retire. We didn't retire and so what happened was, over the next -- I would say, 18 months, 19 months,
所以我们没有退休。我们没有退休。接下来,接下来的十八、九个月,我
I had this passion to implement some radical policing.
带着这份热诚去实施重大的治安整顿。
And so now, over the next 19 months, I shifted, and I transcended from being a drug sergeant
这样下来,经过了十九个月,我从一位缉毒警察,
ready to retire as a drug sergeant -- and went from level to level to level,
作好准备成为一位退休的缉毒警察,一级又一级地被提拔,
until I find myself as a district commander, commander of the worst district in Baltimore city.
直到我成为了一位地区总长,在巴尔的摩内最恶劣的地区当地区长官。
We call it the Eastern District, the most violent district, the most impoverished district -- 46 percent unemployment in that district.
我们称之为东区,最暴力的区域,最贫穷的地区,百分之四十六的失业率的区域。
National rating at that time, national rating, the AIDS and the tuberculosis,
当时在全国的排行榜上,地区艾滋病和肺痨的排行经常在前十名。
was always on the top 10 list for zip codes for cities across the nation, or just zip codes across the nation.
无论是按邮编查询还是按城市查询,或就全国地区邮编查询的话。
The top 10 -- I didn't say state, I didn't say city -- that little neighborhood.
东区这个小地区,不是州,不是城市,永远是前十名。
And I said, you know what? We gotta do something different.
我说,你知道吗?我们需要改变。
We gotta do something different. We gotta think radical. We gotta think outside the box.
我们需要改变。彻底地改变。我们得出奇制胜。
And so in order to bring change that I desperately wanted and I desperately felt in my heart,
所以为了带来我极度想要的和真正想感觉到的改变,
I had to start listening to that inner spirit.
我需要聆听着内心的呼唤。
I had to start listening to that man on the inside that went against everything that I had been trained to do.
我需要开始聆听着内心的自我。那一个反抗习惯的自我。
But we still did it. We still did it because we listened to that inner spirit, because I realized this:
我们成功了。我们成功了,因为我们聆听内心自我的呼唤,因为我意识到,
if I was to see real police reform in the communities that I had authority over for public safety,
如果要真正看到警察的改良,在我有权力监管的公共安全区域,
we had to change our stinkin' thinkin'.
我们需要改变迂腐的想法。
We had to change it. And so what we did is we started to think holistically and not paramilitarily.
我们必须要改变。所以我们开始综合地思考,而非用武力对待。
So we thought differently. And we started to realize that it could never be and never should have been us versus them.
当我们转换思考方式,我们开始体会从来不该也从此不该有我们和他们的对抗。
And so I decided to come to that intersection where I could meet all classes, all races, all creeds, all colors;
所以我决定来到双方的中间,在那有所有的阶层、所有的种族、所有的宗教、各种肤色的同仁,
where I would meet the businesses and the faith-based, and the eds, the meds,
在那我可以遇到商人、信徒、教者、医者,
and I would meet all the people that made up the communities that I had authority over.
我可以接触到所有的人,他们组成了这个社区,而我有保护他们的权力。
So I met them and I began to listen. See, police have a problem.
所以我接触他们并开始聆听。警察人员常常会有这个问题。
Off the top, we want to bring things into the community and come up with these extravagant strategies and deployments,
我们高高在上,想为社区谋福祉,堆砌夸张的策略和部署,
but we never talk to the community about them. And we shove them into the community and say, "Take that."
但我们从来没有和社区的居民好好的倾谈。我们把社区的规则定好,然后说:“就这样吧。”
But we said we'd get rid of that stinkin' thinkin', so we talked to our communities.
但是我们说过要改变迂腐的想法,所以我们和社区的居民倾谈。
We said, "This is your community table. We'll pull up a chair. We want to hear from you.
我们说:“这是你们的社区圆桌。我们拉来了椅子。我们想聆听你们的意见。
What's going to work in your community?" And then some great things started to happen.
如何让社区更好?”接下来神奇的事情发生了。
See, here's the thing: I had to figure out a way
你看,这包括了:我得想出一个办法,
to shift 130 cops that were under my tutelage from being occupiers of communities to being partners.
把自己管辖的一百三十位警察从社区的占据者转变成社区的伙伴。
I had to figure out how to do that. Because here's the crazy thing: in law enforcement, we have evolved into something incredible.
我得想出一个办法完成这项任务。因为这是很难的:在执法机关,我们演化得不可思议。
Listen, we have become great protectors. We know how to protect you.
我们演化成为了伟大的守护者。我们懂得如何守护你们。
But we have exercised that arm so much, so very much.
我们太熟悉用臂膀守护你们。
If I was a natural police department and I represented a police department, you would see this incredible, beautiful, 23-inch arm.
如果我人本身是警察部门,我代表了警察部门, 你们可以看到这难以置信的、美丽的、23英寸的臂膀。
It's pretty, ain't it? It's cut up. No fat on it. Mmm it look good. It just look good!
这很漂亮,对吧?很坚实。没半点脂肪。很好看。特别好看!
That's a great arm -- protection! That's who we are, but we've exercised it so much sometimes that it has led to abuse.
那是强壮的臂弯,一种保护!那就是我们了,不过因为太执着于保护,过犹不及。
It's led to coldness and callousness and dehumanized us.
我们变得冷漠无情,没有人情味。
And we've forgotten the mantra across this nation is to protect and serve.
我们甚至忘记了我们国家的座右铭乃保卫和服务。
Y'all don't know that? Protect and serve.
你们难道不知道吗?保卫和服务。
So you look at the other arm, and then you look at it and ... there it is.
所以当你看到另外一边的手臂,再看清楚,就是这边。
You know, it's kinda weak. It looks sickly.
你看,有些柔弱,看起来很无力。
It's withering and it's dying because we've invested so much in our protective arm.
有些萎缩,甚至垂死,就是因为我们太过重于保护。
But we forgot to treat our communities like they're our customers;
但我们忘记了好好地看待我们的社区,待他们如我们的客人,
like they're our sons and daughters, our brothers and sisters, our mothers and fathers.
如我们的子女和兄弟姐妹,如我们的父母亲。

我喜欢警察这个职业 但是我们需要改变

And so somehow, along the way, we've gotten out of balance.
所以不知为何,我们失去了平衡。
And because we are a proud profession, it is very hard for us to look in the mirror and see our mistakes.
我们是很自负的专业,所以要我们看着镜子,发现自己的问题,这很困难。
It's even harder to make a change.
更不用说要做出改变了。
And so, as I try to hurry and get through this, I need to say this: it's not just law enforcement, though.
我得加快表达我的观点,我必须要说:警察并不只限于执法。
Because every one of us makes up a community. Everybody makes up a community.
每一个人都是社区内的一份子,社区属于每一个人。
And as communities -- can I say this? -- we have put too much responsibility on law enforcement. Too much.
既然如此,我想说的是,我们实在过于倚赖于执法。太过于倚赖了。
And then we have the audacity and the nerve to get upset with law enforcement when we take action.
所以我们执行法律的时候,我们会对法律的实施感到不满。
There is no way in the world that we, as a community, should be calling the police for kids playing ball in the street.
事实上,不可能就因为有小孩在街上打篮球,作为社区成员的我们去报警。
No way in the world that we should be calling the police because my neighbor's music is up too loud,
不可能因为我的邻居家里的音乐太吵,
because his dog came over to my yard and did a number two; there's no way we should be calling the police.
因为他家的狗来到了我家的庭院里大小便,我就去报警。我们不可能为这些事报警。
But we have surrendered so much of our responsibility.
其实我们都只是放弃了自己的责任。
Listen, when I was a little boy coming up in Baltimore -- and listen, we played rough in the street
当我还是小孩、在巴尔的摩的时候,我们也是在街上瞎玩的,
I ain't never see the police come and break us up. You know who came?
我就从没有看到过有警察过来赶我们,你们知道是谁过来吗?
It was the elders. It was the parental figures in the community.
都是那些长者们。都是社区里我们的父辈。
It was those guardians, it was that village mentality.
他们都是守护者,是社区里的一种精神。
They came and said, "Stop that!" and "Do this." and "Stop that."
他们会劝诫我们,什么该做什么不该做。
We had mentors throughout all of the community.
在社区里我们的导师无处不在。
So it takes all of us, all of us. And when I say community,
就是我们中的每一位。当我提到社区的时候,
I'm talking about everything that makes up a community, even -- listen, because I'm a preacher,
我是说组成社区的每一个人。由于我是一位传道者,
I'm very hard on the churches, because I believe the churches too often have become MIA, missing in action.
我对教会要求非常严格,因为我相信教会常常在行动中就消失了,与社区的联系慢慢就消失了。
I believe they have shifted over the last 10, 20 years from being community churches,
在过去十几二十年,我认为教会转型了,从社区型的教会,
where you walk outside your door, round the corner and you're in church.
那种你从家里出去,拐个弯就到了的教会。
They shifted from that and became commuter churches.
转变成为方便于往来者的教会。
So you now have churches who have become disconnected by default from the very community where they're planted.
现在的教会,因为大家缺席和社区产生了隔离,明明是从社区里孕育出来的,
And they don't take care of that community.
却变得对这个社区没有了关爱。
I could go on and on, but I really need to wrap this up.
我可以一直说下去,但我得先专注于我的演讲。
Community and policing: we've all lost that precious gift, and I call it relational equity.
社区和警力: 我们都失去了那份叫做平等互助的宝贵的礼物。
We've lost it with one another. It's not somebody else's fault -- it's all of our fault.
我们都失去了这份相互关爱。那不是别人的过错,那是我们自己的过错。
We all take responsibility in this. But I say this:
我们都得肩起这份责任。但我认为:
it's not too late for all of us to build our cities and nation to make it great again.
我们要建构自己的城市,让国家重新伟大起来,永远不会太迟。
It is never too late. It is never too late.
永远不会太迟。永远不会太迟。
You see, after three years of my four-and-a-half-year commandship in that district, three years in,
这是我当社区长官四年半以来的第三年,三年来,
after putting pastors in the car with my police because I knew this -- it's a little secret -- I knew this:
车里不仅有警察还有牧师,因为我很清楚知道这是一个小秘密,我很清楚知道:
it was hard to stay a nasty police officer while you're riding around with a clergy.
一个警察很难在牧师旁边做令人厌恶的事。
You'd be getting in and out of the car, looking to your right,
上下车辆的时候,你都得向座位旁的牧师看一看,
talking about: "Father, forgive me, for I have sinned," all day long, you can't do it!
说:“请原谅我,因为我都有罪。”你不可能这样说一天啊!
So we came up with some incredible initiatives, engagements for our community and police to build that trust back.
所以我们推行了一些很捧的举措,让我们的社区和警察重建信任。
We began to deal with our youth and with those who we consider are on the wrong side of the fence.
我们开始从青年们着手,尤其是误入歧途的那帮青年。
We knew we had an economic problem, so we began to create jobs.
我们知道有经济难题,所以我们开始创造就业机会。
We knew there was sickness in our community and they didn't have access to proper medical care, so we'd partner up.
我们知道社区,而他们没有办法获得充分的医疗救治,所以我们寻求帮助。
We got to that intersection and partnered up with anybody that wanted to partner with us
我们来到社区中间寻找帮助,寻求任何愿意和我们并肩的伙伴,
and talked about what we needed holistically, never thinking about the crime.
一起讨论我们整体上需要什么,而从来不是着眼于罪行。
Because at the end of the day, if we took care of the needs of the people, if we got to the root cause,
因为终究来说,只要我们照顾众人的需要,只要我们从根源上着手,
the crime would take care of itself. It would take care of itself.
犯罪问题不攻自破。会自然消失。
And so, after three years of a four-and-a-half-year stint, we looked back and we looked over and found out that
所以,在我四年半任期的第三个年头,我们通过回顾和探索,
we were at a 40-year historical low: our crime numbers, our homicides -- everything had dropped down, back to the 1970s.
让我们的犯罪数目、谋杀案数量处于四十年来的史上最低点,就像七十年代一样。
And it might go back further, but the problem is, we only started keeping data since 1970.
甚至可能像更久远的年代,但问题是,我们是从七十年代开始记录犯罪的。
Forty-year crime low, so much so, I had other commanders call me,
四十年来的罪案低点,非常好,有其他长官打电话给我:
"Hey Mel, whatcha doin', man? Whatcha doin'? We gotta get some of that!"
“嘿,米,你干了些什么,老兄?到底干了些什么好事情? 我们也得跟着做才行!”
And so we gave them some of that. And in a short period of time, the city went to a 30-year crime low.
所以我们和他们分享了我们的想法。在短时间内,城市的犯罪率降到三十年最低。
For the first time in 30 years, we fell, Baltimore city, to under 200 homicides -- 197 to be exact.
三十年来首次,巴尔的摩的谋杀案数量降低至少于二百宗,准确地说只有一百九十七宗。
And we celebrated, because we had learned to become great servers, become great servers first.
所以我们庆祝,因为我们学会如何为大家服务,学会如何成为好的服务者。
But I gotta tell you this: these last few years, as much as we had learned to become great proactive police officers
但我也必须让你们知道:在刚过去的几年,尽管我们学懂了成为主动的好警官,
and great relational police officers rather than reactive, these last years have disappointed me.
也懂得了关爱而不是被动的反应,但过去的那些年确实令我很失望。
They have broken my heart. The uprising still hurts.
他们伤了我的心。那时的暴力犯罪飙升。
It still hurts my heart, because truly I believe that it should've never happened.
现在想起仍然伤了我的心,因为真心的我相信这从来不应该发生。
I believe it should've never happened if we were allowed to continue along the vein that we were in, servicing our community,
我相信这从来不应该发生。假设我们继续以我们认同的方式服务我们的社区,
treating them like human beings, treating them with respect, loving on them first.
以人为本,以人为尊,爱人为首。
If we continued in that vein, it would've never happened. But somehow, we went back to business as usual.
只要当时我们继续,那么一切都会很好。但是不知为何,当时的我们没有这样做。
But I'm excited again! I'm excited again, because now we have a police commissioner who not only talks about community policing,
可是现在我又兴奋起来了!因为我们现在的警察长官对于社区里的警务不会说说而已,
but he absolutely understands it, and more importantly, he embraces it. So I'm very excited now.
他们透彻地理解,更重要的是也认同这个方式。所以我很感到兴奋。
Listen, I'm excited about Baltimore today, because we, as many cities, I believe shall rise from the ashes.
对于今天的巴尔的摩,我很兴奋,因为就像很多城市一样,我相信我们会置之死地而后生。
I believe -- I truly believe -- that we will be great again.
我相信,我真心相信,我们会再次崛起。
I believe, as we continue to wrap arms and continue to say, "We're in this together,"
我相信,我们会肩并肩,一起呐喊,“我们同舟共济。”
because it's not just an intersection: once we meet,
因为这不仅仅是简单的大家聚集在一起:当我们聚集在一起,
we now gotta get on the same path for the same goals, and this city will become great again.
为同一个目标而努力,这个城市会再好起来。
This nation will become great again. Because we have the same goal: we all want peace.
这个国家会再次伟大起来。因为我们有共同目标:我们心系和平。
We all want respect for one another. We all want love.
我们希望互相尊重。我们都希望得到爱。
And I believe we are back on that road, and I'm so excited about it.
我相信我们已回归到正途,我为此感到很雀跃。
So listen, I thank you for giving me a few minutes of your time.
所以谢谢你们给我的几分钟时间。
God bless you all. God bless you.
愿主保佑所有人。愿主保佑各位。

分享到
重点单词
  • abusen. 滥用,恶习 vt. 滥用,辱骂,虐待
  • viciousadj. 恶毒的,恶意的,凶残的,剧烈的,严重的
  • protectvt. 保护,投保
  • discriminationn. 歧视,辨别力,识别
  • veinn. 静脉,纹理,叶脉,岩脉 vt. 使有脉络,用脉络装
  • communityn. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落
  • disappointedadj. 失望的
  • celebratedadj. 著名的,声誉卓著的 动词celebrate的过
  • commutern. 通勤者,每日往返上班者
  • protectionn. 保护,防卫