(单词翻译:单击)
In June of 2017, I volunteered with a group at a local food pantry on the south side of my home city in Atlanta, Georgia.
2017年6月,我和一群人在我的家乡佐治亚州亚特兰大市南边的一所食品救济站做志愿者。
It was a Friday afternoon, the day of their weekly food giveaway.
那是个星期五下午,是每周一次的食品派发日。
And as I drove up, I saw people beginning to arrive, many with their rolling carts in tow,
当我开车抵达时,我看到人们陆续到达,很多人都推着他们的小推车,
prepared to receive their food supply for the week.
准备领取那一周的食品供应。
As I was walking in the door, there were about 40 people outside waiting in line.
我走进门的时候,外面大概有40人在排队等待。
And I was so excited, because there are very few things I enjoy more than giving back.
我非常激动,因为我最喜欢的事情莫过于回赠社会。
But then, as I entered the room where the volunteer meeting was taking place,
然而,当我走进志愿者会议室,
I immediately realized: we weren't about to give these people any real meals.
我立刻意识到:我们无法给这些人提供任何一顿像样的饭。
We were essentially just giving them food. I took my place on the assembly line, where -- get this
我们本质上只是在给他们提供食物。我走到自己在流水线的位置,接下来,听好了,
I was in charge of making sure that the Weight Watchers Ding Dongs made it into every family's bag.
我负责确保WW牌奶油夹心巧克力蛋糕顺利进入每一家人的袋子里。
As the bags started to come around, I'm thinking to myself: What on earth are we doing here?
当袋子开始传过来时,我心想:我们到底在这里干什么?
Each bag contained two 20-ounce diet Snapples, a gallon of barbecue sauce, a bag of kettle potato chips,
每个食品袋都装有两瓶590毫升思乐宝低糖饮料,3.8升烧烤酱,一包手切薯片,
a box of superhero-shaped vegetable-enriched macaroni noodles, a box of belVita breakfast bars,
一盒超级英雄形状的添加蔬菜成分的通心粉,一盒贝唯他早餐棒,
a can of refried beans, a can of sweet peas, a miniature can of corn,
一罐焗豆泥,一罐甜豌豆,一小罐玉米,
I can't forget about those Ding Dongs and french fried green onions, you know, the kind that go on top of a green bean casserole.
我没法忘记那些奶油夹心蛋糕以及油炸葱碎,就是洒在青豆砂锅煲上面的那种。
And that was it. We made over a hundred of those bags that day, and people indeed stood in line to receive one.
就这么多。那天我们制作了超过一百个袋子,人们也的确排队领取了。
But a feeling came over me; I felt bad and a little angry.
但我心中充斥着一种感觉;我觉得很糟糕,还有一点愤怒。
It was like, how could I even feel good about the work that I was doing
我怎么可能对我的工作自我感觉良好,
when I knew for a fact that not one meal was to come from the food we had just given to over 100 families?
当我明知道我们刚刚分配给上百个家庭的那些食物根本没法做出一顿饭?》
I mean, who wants to have a meal with barbecue sauce and Ding Dongs?
我的意思是,有谁会想拿烧烤酱和奶油夹心蛋糕当饭啊?
And the reality is, I've been part of this process all my life.
而现实是,我一生都在参与这个过程。
I've participated in food drives, I've collected cans since I was a kid,
我参加过食品募捐,我小时候收集过食品罐头,
I've donated in the grocery store more times than I can count, I've volunteered at shelters,
我给杂货店捐赠的次数已经数不过来了,我在收容所做志愿者,
I've worked in food pantries, and I'm sure, like me, so many of you have, too.
我在食品救济站帮忙,并且我肯定,你们很多人都和我一样。
In 2013, I even created a pop-up restaurant, called Sunday Soul.
在2013年,我甚至创立了一家叫做“星期日之魂”的限时餐厅。
And I rented tables and chairs and linens and I printed out menus
我租来了桌椅和桌布,打印出菜单,
and I took these experiences to alleyways, underneath bridges and in parks
并将这种用餐的体验带到各个小巷、桥洞、公园中,
to allow people that were experiencing homelessness to dine with dignity.
让那些无家可归的人们也能体面地用餐。
So I've invested in this fight for quite some time.
我已经投身这场斗争不少时日。
In almost every major US city, the food bank is viewed as a beloved community institution.
在几乎所有的美国主要城市中,食品救济站都被视为深受喜爱的社区机构。
Corporations send volunteers down on a weekly basis to sort through food items and make boxes of food for the needy.
公司每周都派送志愿者分拣食物、为需要的人制作一盒盒食品。
And can drives -- they warm the hearts of schools and office buildings that participate
还有罐头募捐--这些活动温暖了参与的学校与公司的心灵,
and fill the shelves of food banks and food pantries across the nation.
并填满了全国各地食品仓库与食品救济站的货架。
This is how we work to end hunger. And what I've come to realize is that we are doing hunger wrong.
这就是我们努力消除饥饿的方式。而我也渐渐开始意识到,我们对付饥饿的方式是错误的。
We are doing the same things over and over and over again and expecting a different end result.
我们在一遍又一遍地重复同样的做法,却期盼能获得不同的结果。
We've created a cycle that keeps people dependent on food banks and pantries on a monthly basis
我们创造的循环让人们月复一月地依赖食品救济站,
for food that is often not well-balanced and certainly doesn't provide them with a healthy meal.
依赖往往营养不均衡的食品,肯定无法从中获得健康的三餐。
In the US, our approach to doing good, or what we call "charity," has actually hindered us from making real progress.
在美国,我们做好事的途径,或者说是“慈善”,其实反而阻碍了我们取得真正的进步。
We're educating the world on how many people are food insecure.
我们正在让世界了解还有多少人缺乏食物保障,
There are television commercials, billboards, massive donations, the engagement of some of our biggest celebrities in the fight.
包括电视广告、广告牌、大型募捐,以及参与到斗争中的一些颇具影响力的名人。
But the ever-present reality is that, even with all of this work, millions of people are still going hungry.
但一直存在的现实是,即使投入了这么多努力,仍有数百万民众食不果腹。
And we can do better. Globally, 821 million people are hungry. That's one in nine people on this planet.
而我们可以做得更好。全球有8.21亿人口在挨饿。也就是说地球上每九个人中就有一人吃不饱肚子。
And here in the United States, nearly 40 million people experience hunger every single year,
而在美国,每年有约4千万人会历经饥饿,
including more than 11 million children that go to bed hungry every night.
包括超过1100万名每晚饥肠辘辘入睡的儿童。
Yet, we're wasting more food than ever before -- more than 80 billion pounds a year, to be exact.
然而,我们对食物的浪费程度前所未有:准确说来,每年浪费的食物数量超过八百亿吨。
The EPA estimates that food waste has more than doubled between 1970 and 2017,
环境保护局估计在1970年和2017年之间,食品浪费翻了不止一倍,
and now accounts for 27 percent of everything in our landfills.
现在占据了垃圾填埋场的27%。
And as this food sits, it gradually rots and produces harmful methane gas, a leading contributor to global climate change.
这些食物在放置过程中渐渐腐烂,并产生有害的甲烷气体,即全球气候变化的主要原因。
We have the waste of the food itself,
我们浪费的不仅是食物本身,
the waste of all the money associated with producing this now-wasted food and the waste of labor with all of the above.
还有在生产被浪费食物过程中投入的金钱,以及其中涉及的劳动力。
And then there's the social inequity between people who really need food
同时,社会不平等现象存在于那些真正需要食物却无法获得,
and can't get it and people who have too much and simply throw it away.
以及那些因食物绰绰有余而随意丢弃的人之间。
All of this made me realize that hunger was not an issue of scarcity but rather a matter of logistics.
以上种种使我意识到饥饿并不是资源短缺的问题,而是物流统筹的问题。
So in 2017, I set out to end hunger using technology.
于是在2017年,我开始使用科技消除饥饿。
After all, food delivery apps had begun to explode on the scene, and I thought surely we can reverse-engineer this technology
毕竟食品快递应用已经呈现爆炸式增长,我觉得我们一定能够反向运用这项技术,
and get food from businesses like restaurants and grocery stores and into the hands of people in need.
从餐厅与杂货店之类的商家处获得食物并送到需要的人们手中。
I believe that technology and innovation have the power to solve real problems, especially hunger.
我相信科技与创新有解决现实问题的力量,尤其是饥饿。
So in 2017, I created an app that would inventory everything that a business sells
于是在2017年,我开发了一款应用,能够盘点商家所有贩售品的存货,
and make it super easy for them to donate this excess food that would typically go to waste at the end of the night.
并能让他们非常轻松地捐赠过剩的食材,而不是像以往那样在打烊时丢弃掉。
All the user has to do now is click on an item, tell us how many they have to donate,
用户只需要点击某样物品,告诉我们想要捐赠的数量,
and our platform calculates the weight and the tax value of those items at time of donation.
我的平台就会计算出这些物品的重量以及捐赠时的税额。
We then connect with local drivers in the shared economy to get this food picked up
接下来我们会联系共享经济中的当地司机,让他们提取这些食物,
and delivered directly to the doors of nonprofit organizations and people in need.
并直接运送到非营利机构和需要帮助的民众家门口。
I provided the data and the analytics to help businesses reduce food waste at the source
我提供数据和分析帮助企业在源头减少食品浪费,
by letting them know the items that they waste repeatedly on a regular basis, and they even saved millions of dollars.
通过让企业了解他们经常反复地浪费了哪些食材,他们甚至得以节省几百万美元。
Our mission was simple: feed more, waste less.
我们的使命很简单:多喂饱,少浪费。
And by 2018, our clients included the world's busiest airport, Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson,
截止2018年,我们的客户包括了世界最繁忙的机场,亚特兰大的哈茨菲尔德-杰克逊机场,
and we were working with brands and corporations like Hormel, Chick-fil-A and Papa John's.
我们也在与荷美尔食品、副乐鸡和棒约翰连锁餐厅这样的品牌与公司合作。
We even had the opportunity to work with the NFL for Super Bowl LIII.
我们甚至有机会和全美橄榄球联盟合作,参与了第53届超级碗。
And over the last two years, we've worked with over 200 business
在过去两年,我们和两百多家企业合作,
to divert more than two million pounds of edible food from landfills into the hands of people that needed it most. Thank you.
让超过200吨可食用的食品免于进入垃圾填埋场,而是送到了最需要的人们手中。谢谢。
This has accounted for about 1.7 million meals and allowed us to start to expand our efforts to other cities,
这相当于170万顿饭,我们得以开始将业务拓展到其它城市,
like Washington, DC, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia and more.
例如华盛顿特区,芝加哥,迈阿密,费城等等。
That's just one approach that actually tackles the problem.
这只是其中一种解决问题的方法。
Another was the launch of our pop-up grocery stores.
另一种方法是创设限时食品杂货店。
We recover excess food from businesses and set up free community grocery stores right in the middle of food deserts.
我们从商家回收富余食品,在饥饿的重灾区正中心开设免费的社区食品杂货店。
We bring out a chef, and we do on-site taste-testings and allow families to leave with recipe cards.
我们让厨师烹饪,举办现场试吃,并让家庭带着食谱离开。
We give every family reusable grocery bags and allow them to simply shop minus the price tag.
我们给每个家庭提供环保购物袋,让他们不用在意价格标签,尽情采购。
We wanted to give people access to meals and not just food.
我们想让人们获得一日三餐,而不仅仅是食物。
We wanted to change the way that we think and work to solve hunger in this country,
我们想要改变解决这个国家饥饿问题的思考和工作方式,
get people to believe that we can solve hunger, not as a nonprofit, not as a food bank
让人们相信我们能攻克饥饿难题,不是作为非营利机构或是食品救济站,
but as a social enterprise, with the goal of reducing waste and ending hunger.
而是作为一个旨在减少浪费、结束饥饿的社会企业。
But it hasn't been as easy as I thought to change the narrative and the thought process on how we think that hunger can be solved.
但要改变我们对于解决饥饿问题的视角和思考方式,并没有我想象的那么简单。
In 2016, France became the first country to ban supermarkets from throwing away unused food.
在2016年,法国成为了第一个禁止超市丢弃未使用食物的国家。
Instead, they must donate it, and they're fined if they don't. Yes.
超市必须捐赠这些食物,否则将会面临罚款。没错。
In 2017, Italy followed suit, becoming the second European nation to pass an anti-food-waste ban.
2017年,意大利效仿,成为了第二个通过禁止食品浪费法案的欧洲国家。
And they stated it so simply as it was passed through legislation:
而在通过立法时,他们的陈述如此简单:
"We have millions of pounds of good food going to waste, and we have poor people that are going hungry." That simple.
“我们浪费了数百吨优质食品,但我们的穷人还填不饱肚子。”就这么简单。
Denmark now has a mandated food waste grocery store. Its name: Wefood.
丹麦现在开设了过剩食物的专门店,叫做威福。
They recover excess food from local grocery stores and sell it at up to a 50 percent off discount.
他们从当地的食品杂货店回收过剩食物,并以最高可达五折的折扣贩售。
They then use all the proceeds and donate it to emergency aid programs and social need issues for the people in need.
他们将全部所得捐赠给紧急援助项目以及帮助有需求群体的公益项目。
It has been hailed as "the Goodwill of grocery."
威福被誉为“食品界的Goodwill”。
And last year, the world got its first pay-what-you-can grocery store, when Feed it Forward opened in Toronto.
去年,世界首家“给钱就卖”杂货店Feed it Forward在多伦多开业。
Their shelves remain stocked by recovering excess food from major supermarkets
他们的货架上放满了从各大超市回收的富余食品,
and allowing families to simply pay what they can at their grocery store.
让在店里购物的家庭能付多少钱就看着给。
This is amazing. This innovation we need more of.
这真是了不起。我们需要更多这样的创新。
Everyone can take on the roles of changing the attitudes about how we solve hunger.
每个人都能为改变对待如何缓解饥饿的态度出一份力。
When we think of how we've allowed innovation and technology to change our lives,
想想我们如何任由创新与科技改变了我们的生活,
from how we communicate with each other to how we view our entertainment to how we even receive food,
从沟通方式,到对娱乐的看法,甚至到我们获得食物的途径;
it's amazing that we haven't solved hunger yet.
相比之下,我们依然还没有攻克饥饿就显得很不可思议。
We literally have cars that can drive themselves and millions of people that cannot feed themselves.
我们甚至有能够自主驾驶的汽车,却还有数百万人没法喂饱自己。
With millions of dollars being donated to end food insecurity, we should've solved hunger years ago.
为了结束食物无保障的状况已经捐赠了几百万美元,我们早在多年前就理应解决好饥饿问题了。
And I asked myself -- I asked myself, why can't we escape this vicious cycle? Why haven't we solved this problem?
于是我问自己--我问自己,为什么我们无法逃离这个恶性循环?为什么我们还没有解决这个问题?
I remember meeting with investors and pitching the idea, trying to raise funds for my business,
我记得和投资者会面,介绍我的想法,试图为我的事业筹措资金,
and one of them said to me, in true seriousness, "Hunger is already being solved,"
而其中一位投资者非常严肃地对我说,“饥饿问题已经被解决了”,
as if millions of people weren't going to go to bed hungry that very night, and as if there was nothing else to do.
仿佛那一晚的几百万人并没有饿着肚子入睡,仿佛我们已经没有什么要做的了。
And the reality is, one would think that hunger is being solved, but the truth is, it's being worked on.
而现实是,有人或许以为饥饿问题已被攻克,而真相是,它依旧是一个亟待解决的问题。
If we really want to solve hunger, then we have to change the way we've been doing it.
如果我们真的想攻克饥饿,就必须改变一贯的处理方式。
The same actions will always garner the same results. There are hundreds of social entrepreneurs all over the world.
同样的做法只会带来同样的结果。世界上有几百名社会企业家。
They have a focus to solve really big problems, like hunger,
他们专注于解决非常重大的问题,比如饥饿,
but they'll never get the same support that we give national hunger-fighting organizations and food banks.
但他们永远不会得到和全国消除饥饿组织及食品救济站同样规模的支持。
But, if given the opportunity, they have the ability to foster insight and perhaps be forward-thinking enough to solve this problem.
但如果有机会,他们能够培养洞察力,或许有足够的远见能够解决这个问题。
That's why I'm traveling the world and I'm really talking about what hunger looks like in America
正因如此,我才环游世界,讲述美国饥饿的面貌,
and explaining the difference between giving people access to food and access to meals.
并解释给人们提供食物如何有别于给人们提供三餐。
I've been meeting with city council members and city organizers across the US
我同全美各地的市政府成员与城市组织者会面,
and telling them that technology indeed does have the power to connect businesses with surplus food to people in need,
告诉他们科技的确有能力将食品富余的企业和有需求的民众联结,
and explaining to them what a meal can actually mean to a family.
并向他们解释一顿饭对一个家庭的实际意义。
I've been meeting with school boards and school districts to talk about how we feed hungry children,
我同学校董事会以及学区负责人会面,探讨我们如何喂饱饥饿的儿童;
and health care organizations, sharing the message that food is health, and food is life,
我同医疗组织会面,分享这样的讯息:食物即是健康,食物即是生命,
and that, by solving hunger, we can solve so many more problems.
通过解决饥饿,我们能够解决其它更多问题。
So if we want to know that we don't live in a nation where perfectly good food goes to waste
所以如果我们想要确保我们生活的国家不会让优质食物白白浪费,
when our neighbors don't have food to eat, then we need to change the laws.
不会让我们的邻居食不果腹,那么我们需要改变法律。
We need to introduce new policies, and, most importantly, we need to change our minds and our actions.
我们需要引进新的政策,最重要的是,我们需要改变我们的思考与行为。
Food drives are fine. Food banks serve a huge purpose.
食品募捐没有问题。食品救济站意义重大。
And yes, sometimes I like Ding Dongs, too.
没错,有时候我也喜欢吃奶油夹心巧克力蛋糕。
But the reality is that food drives do not solve hunger.
但现实是,食品募捐无法解决饥饿问题。
And if we are smart about connecting the dots that are right in front of our noses,
如果我们能动动脑子,把就在鼻子跟前的点串联成线,
we can do far more than give a family a box of superhero-shaped vegetable-enriched macaroni noodles and a gallon of barbecue sauce to feed themselves.
我们能做的就远远不止于给一个家庭提供一盒超级英雄形状的添加蔬菜成分的通心粉和3.8升烧烤酱,让他们以此充饥。
Instead, we can give them back their dignity. Perhaps we can increase school attendance in schools.
与之相反,我们能还给他们尊严。或许我们能增加学校的出勤率。
We can improve the health outcomes for millions.
我们能改善几百万人的健康。
And, most importantly, we can reduce food waste in our landfills, creating a better environment for all of us.
最重要的是,我们能减少垃圾填埋场中的食品浪费,为大家创造更好的环境。
The thing I love most is that we can feel good about it in the process.
最美妙的是,在这过程中我们能感觉良好。
If we solve hunger, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
解决饥饿有百利而无一害。
So let's do it. Thank you. Thank you.
那就让我们行动吧!谢谢。谢谢。