女孩要勇敢 而不必完美
日期:2017-07-13 19:06

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

So a few years ago, I did something really brave, or some would say really stupid. I ran for Congress.
几年前,我做了一些非常勇敢的事,或许有些人会说是很愚蠢的事。我参选国会议员。
For years, I had existed safely behind the scenes in politics as a fundraiser, as an organizer,
很多年来,我作为资金筹集人,作为组织者,安全地存在于政治活动背后
but in my heart, I always wanted to run.
但在我的内心中,我一直希望参选。
The sitting congresswoman had been in my district since 1992.
我那个选区的现任女议员是从1992年就任的。
She had never lost a race, and no one had really even run against her in a Democratic primary.
她从未输过一场选战,没有人真正认真地在民主选举中与她竞争。
But in my mind, this was my way to make a difference, to disrupt the status quo.
但在我心中,这就是我创造不同的方式,改变现状。
The polls, however, told a very different story.
可是民调结果却完全显示出另外一回事。
My pollsters told me that I was crazy to run, that there was no way that I could win.
我的民调专家告诉我,我要参选简直是疯了,我不可能会赢。
But I ran anyway, and in 2012, I became an upstart in a New York City congressional race. I swore I was going to win.
但我还是参选了,在2012年,我成了纽约议员选战中的新星。我发誓我会赢。
I had the endorsement from the New York Daily News, the Wall Street Journal snapped pictures of me on election day,
我得到了《纽约日报》的认可,《华尔街日报》刊登了我在选举日的照片,
and CNBC called it one of the hottest races in the country.
美国全国广播公司财经频道称之为全国范围内最热的选战。
I raised money from everyone I knew, including Indian aunties that were just so happy an Indian girl was running.
我从我认识的每个人那里筹钱,包括印度阿姨们,她们很高兴一个印度女生参选。
But on election day, the polls were right, and I only got 19 percent of the vote,
但选举日,民调是对的,我只拿到了19%的选票,
and the same papers that said I was a rising political star now said I wasted 1.3 million dollars on 6,321 votes.
那张曾称我为新兴政治明星的报纸,现在却说我在6321张选票上浪费了130万美金。
Don't do the math. It was humiliating.
请不要算数字。太丢脸了。
Now, before you get the wrong idea, this is not a talk about the importance of failure.
好了,为了避免误会,我要先声明,今天的演讲没并有要谈失败的重要性。
Nor is it about leaning in. I tell you the story of how I ran for Congress
也与全力以赴无关。我之所以描述参选议员的过程,
because I was 33 years old and it was the first time in my entire life that I had done something that was truly brave,
是因为当时我已经33岁,而这却是我此生第一次做了件称得上勇敢的事情,
where I didn't worry about being perfect.
同时不用担心怎样才能做得完美。
And I'm not alone: so many women I talk to tell me that they gravitate towards careers and professions
我不是一个人:我访谈过的许多女性都告诉我,她们选择那些工作和专业领域,
that they know they're going to be great in,
是因为早就知道自己可以做得很好,
that they know they're going to be perfect in, and it's no wonder why.
她们知道自己可以做得尽善尽美,这一点不足为奇。
Most girls are taught to avoid risk and failure.
大多数的女生被教导要避免冒险与失败,
We're taught to smile pretty, play it safe, get all A's.
我们被教育要笑得端庄,不冒险、求安稳、课程拿全A。
Boys, on the other hand, are taught to play rough, swing high,
而男孩们呢,则被教育成要更加勇猛,冲击更高的目标,
crawl to the top of the monkey bars and then just jump off headfirst.
爬上单杠最高的那层然后往下跳。
And by the time they're adults, whether they're negotiating a raise or even asking someone out on a date,
当他们成长为大人,无论他们是在谈判加薪或是约某人出去玩,
they're habituated to take risk after risk. They're rewarded for it.
他们习惯于接受一个又一个挑战。他们也为此得到了回报。
It's often said in Silicon Valley, no one even takes you seriously unless you've had two failed start-ups.
在硅谷有这样的说法,没人把你当回事,除非你创业失败两次以上。
In other words, we're raising our girls to be perfect, and we're raising our boys to be brave.
换句话说,我们教女孩要追求完美,但是教男孩的则是要勇敢无畏。
Some people worry about our federal deficit, but I, I worry about our bravery deficit.
有些人担心我们的政府赤字,但是,我担心我们的勇气赤字。
Our economy, our society, we're just losing out because we're not raising our girls to be brave.
我们的经济,我们的社会都正在走下坡,因为我们没有教育女孩子们要勇敢。
The bravery deficit is why women are underrepresented in STEM,
勇气赤字就是为什么女性在理工科教育(STEM)领域,
in C-suites, in boardrooms, in Congress, and pretty much everywhere you look.
在企业高管层,在董事会,在国会,在你所看到的任何地方都未被充分代表。
In the 1980s, psychologist Carol Dweck looked at how bright fifth graders handled an assignment that was too difficult for them.
在1980年代,心理学家Carol Dweck观察研究了五年级学生如何处理一项对他们来说非常困难的作业。
She found that bright girls were quick to give up. The higher the IQ, the more likely they were to give up.
她发现,聪明的女孩们很快就放弃了。智商越高的女孩,放弃的可能性越大。
Bright boys, on the other hand, found the difficult material to be a challenge.
而聪明的男孩则相反,他们将困难的材料视为一个挑战。
They found it energizing. They were more likely to redouble their efforts.
他们为此精力充沛。他们更愿意加倍努力。
What's going on? Well, at the fifth grade level, girls routinely outperform boys in every subject,
问题出在哪?嗯,在五年级,女孩总的来说比男孩在各个科目的表现都要好,
including math and science, so it's not a question of ability.
包括数学和科学,所以这不是能力的问题。
The difference is in how boys and girls approach a challenge. And it doesn't just end in fifth grade.
差别在于男孩和女孩如何处理所面临的挑战。而且这不仅止于五年级的孩子。
An HP report found that men will apply for a job if they meet only 60 percent of the qualifications,
惠普公司的一份报告显示,男性找工作时,只要他们满足60%的招聘要求,就会递出工作申请,
but women, women will apply only if they meet 100 percent of the qualifications. 100 percent.
而女性,女性只有在100%达到招聘要求的时候才会递出申请。百分之百。
This study is usually invoked as evidence that, well, women need a little more confidence.
这项研究通常被拿来左证女性需要多一点点的自信。
But I think it's evidence that women have been socialized to aspire to perfection, and they're overly cautious.
但我认为它证明了女性是被社会教化成要追求完美,而且谨慎过头了。
And even when we're ambitious, even when we're leaning in,
甚至当我们有野心,当我们想倾注心力的时候,
that socialization of perfection has caused us to take less risks in our careers.
那个社会化的完美性格,也会让我们在职业发展中选择冒更小的风险。
And so those 600,000 jobs that are open right now in computing and tech,
现在,在计算机和科技领域,有六十万个开放申请的工作职位,
women are being left behind, and it means our economy is being left behind on all the innovation
女性却被遗忘了,而这意味着我们也忽略了所有经济上女性的创新
and problems women would solve if they were socialized to be brave instead of socialized to be perfect.
以及她们可能可以解决的问题。前提是假如社会能教她们勇敢,而不是追求完美的话。

女孩要勇敢 而不必完美

So in 2012, I started a company to teach girls to code,
在2012年,我创办了一家公司教女孩如何编程,
and what I found is that by teaching them to code I had socialized them to be brave.
我发现,通过教她们如何编程,我让她们变得更加勇敢。
Coding, it's an endless process of trial and error, of trying to get the right command in the right place,
编程,是一个不断检测与发现错误的无止尽的过程,要设法在对的地方输入正确的指令
with sometimes just a semicolon making the difference between success and failure.
有时只是一个分号就能决定成功还是失败。
Code breaks and then it falls apart, and it often takes many, many tries
程序代码错了,就全盘皆错。时常要尝试很多很多次,
until that magical moment when what you're trying to build comes to life.
奇迹才会出现,你试着建构的东西总算活了起来。
It requires perseverance. It requires imperfection.
这项工作需要持之以恒的努力。需要接受不完美。
We immediately see in our program our girls' fear of not getting it right, of not being perfect.
我们马上就发现,在课程中,女孩们害怕出错,害怕不完美。
Every Girls Who Code teacher tells me the same story.
每个'编程女孩'计划的老师都和我说了同样的故事。
During the first week, when the girls are learning how to code,
在第一周,当女孩们试着学习如何编程时,
a student will call her over and she'll say, "I don't know what code to write."
一个学生会叫她过去,并且说道,“我不知道要写什么代码。”
The teacher will look at her screen, and she'll see a blank text editor.
当老师看她的屏幕时,会看到一个完全空白的界面。
If she didn't know any better, she'd think that her student spent the past 20 minutes just staring at the screen.
如果她不知道原因的话,她也许会想,她的学生在过去的20分钟里只是盯着屏幕发呆。
But if she presses undo a few times, she'll see that her student wrote code and then deleted it.
但如果她点击几下撤销键,她就会看到她的学生是写了代码的,随后又删掉了它们。
She tried, she came close, but she didn't get it exactly right.
她尝试了,她接近目标了,但是她没有完全答对。
Instead of showing the progress that she made, she'd rather show nothing at all. Perfection or bust.
比起呈现她经历的过程,她宁可什么都不呈现。要么完美,要么什么也没有。
It turns out that our girls are really good at coding, but it's not enough just to teach them to code.
结果显示,女孩们非常善于编程,但教给她们如何写代码是完全不够的。
My friend Lev Brie, who is a professor at the University of Columbia and teaches intro to Java
我的朋友Lev Brie是哥伦比亚大学的教授,他教授Java编程,
tells me about his office hours with computer science students.
他告诉了我一些在他的办公时间中,有关主修计算机科学的学生的事情。
When the guys are struggling with an assignment, they'll come in and they'll say,
当男生们艰难应对一个作业的时候,他们会走进来说,
"Professor, there's something wrong with my code."
“教授,我编的程序出了点问题。”
The girls will come in and say, "Professor, there's something wrong with me."
女生们则会走进来说,“教授,我出了点问题。”
We have to begin to undo the socialization of perfection,
我们必须要修正这种社会化的完美主义
but we've got to combine it with building a sisterhood that lets girls know that they are not alone.
而且必须跟建立姐妹情谊一起做,这样才能让女孩们知道她们并不孤单
Because trying harder is not going to fix a broken system.
因为再努力地尝试也无法修补一个损坏的系统。
I can't tell you how many women tell me, "I'm afraid to raise my hand, I'm afraid to ask a question,
我没有办法告诉你,有多少女性跟我说过,“我害怕举手发言,我害怕问问题,
because I don't want to be the only one who doesn't understand, the only one who is struggling."
因为我不想做那个那个唯一不懂的人,那个唯一挣扎的人。”
When we teach girls to be brave and we have a supportive network cheering them on,
当我们教女孩们要勇敢时,我们要有支持她们的系统来鼓励她们,
they will build incredible things, and I see this every day.
她们会有伟大的成就,我每天都看到这些事。
Take, for instance, two of our high school students who built a game called Tampon Run -- yes, Tampon Run
举个例子,两个高中学生制作了一个游戏叫做卫生棉逃亡--对,卫生棉逃亡
to fight against the menstruation taboo and sexism in gaming.
来反对游戏中的月经标记和对女性的歧视。
Or the Syrian refugee who dared show her love for her new country by building an app to help Americans get to the polls.
或是有一名叙利亚难民,她勇于表现对新国家的热爱,而开发出一款帮助美国人了解选举的应用程序。
Or a 16-year-old girl who built an algorithm to help detect whether a cancer is benign or malignant
另外还有一个16岁的女孩,开发出一套算法,能协助检测出病患的癌症是良性或恶性的,
in the off chance that she can save her daddy's life because he has cancer.
希望藉此可以拯救她爸爸的生命,因为他罹患了癌症。
These are just three examples of thousands, thousands of girls who have been socialized to be imperfect,
这仅仅是数千个例子中的三个,有上千名女孩已经被培养得能够接受缺陷,
who have learned to keep trying, who have learned perseverance.
她们学会不断的尝试,学会了不屈不挠。
And whether they become coders or the next Hillary Clinton or Beyoncé, they will not defer their dreams.
无论她们未来是成为写程序的人,还是下一个希拉里或碧昂丝,她们都不会再延宕自己的梦想了。
And those dreams have never been more important for our country.
而那些梦想对我们的国家无比重要。
For the American economy, for any economy to grow, to truly innovate, we cannot leave behind half our population.
如果美国的经济或任何一个国家的经济要成长,要真正的创新,就不能忽略我们一半的人口。
We have to socialize our girls to be comfortable with imperfection, and we've got to do it now.
我们得要教女孩们接纳缺点,而且现在就要开始行动。
We cannot wait for them to learn how to be brave like I did when I was 33 years old.
我们不能等着她们像我一样,33岁才来学着勇敢。
We have to teach them to be brave in schools and early in their careers,
我们必须在学校里就教她们勇敢,当她们还是职场新人的时候,
when it has the most potential to impact their lives and the lives of others,
这是最能够影响她们的一生以及相关人等的生命的时候。
and we have to show them that they will be loved and accepted not for being perfect but for being courageous.
我们要让她们知道,她们终将被爱、被接受,并非因为她们完美无缺,而是因为她们勇往直前。
And so I need each of you to tell every young woman you know -- your sister, your niece, your employee, your colleague
所以我需要你们去告诉每一个你认识的年轻女性--你的姐妹、外甥女、员工、同事...
to be comfortable with imperfection, because when we teach girls to be imperfect, and we help them leverage it,
要接纳缺点,因为当我们教会她们接受不完美,并且帮助她们去运用它,
we will build a movement of young women who are brave
我们将能创造出一股勇敢年轻女性的力量,
and who will build a better world for themselves and for each and every one of us. Thank you. Thank you.
而她们又会为自己,也为我们每个人,创建一个更好的世界。谢谢。谢谢。
Reshma, thank you. It's such a powerful vision you have. You have a vision.
谢谢你,瑞丝玛。你的愿景多么美好远大啊,你真有远见。
Tell me how it's going. How many girls are involved now in your program?
跟我谈谈现在的状况吧。有多少女性正在参与你的计划呢?
Yeah. So in 2012, we taught 20 girls. This year we'll teach 40,000 in all 50 states.
好的,2012年我们教授了20个女孩,今年我们会教授遍布50个州、总共4万名的学生。
And that number is really powerful, because last year we only graduated 7,500 women in computer science.
这个数字真的非常惊人,因为去年我们只有7500名女性拿到计算机科学的学位。
Like, the problem is so bad that we can make that type of change quickly.
问题很严重,所以我们要快速做出改变。
And you're working with some of the companies in this room even, who are welcoming graduates from your program?
你现在和会场里的一些公司有合作,它们欢迎你结业于你的项目的学生吗?
Yeah, we have about 80 partners, from Twitter to Facebook to Adobe to IBM to Microsoft to Pixar to Disney,
是的,我们有大概80个合作公司,从推特到脸书,还有Adobe,IBM,微软,皮克斯,还有迪斯尼,
I mean, every single company out there. And if you're not signed up, I'm going to find you,
我是说,每一家公司。如果你还没和我们签合作,我会去找你,
because we need every single tech company to embed a Girls Who Code classroom in their office.
因为我们需要每个科技公司都有能够编程的女孩在他们的办公室工作。
And you have some stories back from some of those companies
你好像有些故事跟某几家公司有关
that when you mix in more gender balance in the engineering teams, good things happen.
当你平衡了工程研发团队的性别差异之后,就有好事发生了?
Great things happen. I mean, I think that it's crazy to me to think about the fact
美好的事情发生了。我是说,我想到这件事就觉得很疯狂,
that right now 85 percent of all consumer purchases are made by women.
现在消费者买的东西,居然有85%是女人做的,
Women use social media at a rate of 600 percent more than men.
女人使用社群媒体的频率是男人的6倍。
We own the Internet, and we should be building the companies of tomorrow.
我们占据了因特网,所以我们应该要建构一个未来企业。
And I think when companies have diverse teams,
我认为当公司有多元化的团队,
and they have incredible women that are part of their engineering teams, they build awesome things, and we see it every day.
而其中又有杰出的女性参与工程研发小组,他们会创造出令人赞叹的东西。我们每天都在亲眼见证这一点。
Reshma, you saw the reaction there. You're doing incredibly important work.
瑞丝玛,你看到了现场观众的反应。你在做卓越又重要的工作。
This whole community is cheering you on. More power to you. Thank you. Thank you.
整个群体都在为你欢呼打气。希望你更加成功。谢谢。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • swingn. 摇摆,改变,冲力 v. 摇摆,旋转,动摇
  • endorsementn. 支持,认可,背书
  • diverseadj. 不同的,多种多样的
  • defervt. 延期,缓召,把 ... 委托给他人 vi. 耽搁
  • communityn. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落
  • crawlvi. 爬行,卑躬屈膝,自由式游泳 n. 爬行,匍匐而行
  • potentialadj. 可能的,潜在的 n. 潜力,潜能 n. 电位,
  • imperfectionn. 不完全,不完备,缺点
  • impactn. 冲击(力), 冲突,影响(力) vt. 挤入,压紧
  • districtn. 区,地区,行政区 vt. 把 ... 划分成区