(单词翻译:单击)
I started painting music just because I would try to explain synesthesia so many times,
我开始用绘画的形式表达音乐是因为我尝试用语言来解释“同感”这个概念尝试了很多次,
it never quite made as much sense to describe it verbally,
但口头的描述一直没有取得很好的效果,
so I thought it would be best just to put it on canvas
所以我就觉得,最好的解释会不会是把音乐转移到画布上,
just because I've always been an artist and it made it much easier for people to be able to understand it.
因为我一直就是搞绘画的,用画来解释大家理解起来会容易得多
My name is Melissa McCracken, and I am a synesthetic artist.
我叫梅丽莎·麦克拉肯,我是搞通感绘画的
Synesthesia is a neurological condition where your brain is basically cross-wired,
通感指的是一种神经学状态,因为我们大脑内的各个区域是交错纵横的,
so certain stimuli will come in and it'll create the wrong response in my brain.
某些刺激进入我的大脑以后,会在我大脑中激发错误的反应
So for me that's listening to music and it's translated into color in my head.
也就是说,听到音乐时,我的大脑会把那些声音信号转化成颜色
I'm going to paint Superstition by Stevie Wonder.
下面我要画史提夫·汪达的《迷信》(Superstition)这首歌
I love the song Superstition just because it's dynamic and funky and just fun and expressive.
我喜欢这首歌因为它充满了活力,很时髦,很好玩,又很洗脑
Whenever I start a piece, I have to listen to the song first to even know what kind of colors I'd like to use.
我每次画一幅作品之前都要先听那首歌,确定使用哪种类型的颜色
There are some songs that I hate, that I like the way that they look a little bit.
有一些歌是我不喜欢的,是我喜欢按照它们的原样欣赏它们的
Like a lot of pop music can be pink and purple and, you know, just all these fun bright colors but the song's not that good.
比如很多流行音乐都可以用粉色、紫色这些非常好玩的亮色来表达,但歌本身并不怎么样
So one or the other, I appreciate it somehow.
所以不管是哪种方式,我还是设法去欣赏它了
You know you kind of have to really be in the right vibe to be able to paint.
你懂的,只有在状态的时候才能画好
If you're not in the right vibe, you're not gonna make anything good.
如果不在状态的话,就怎么画都画不好
I think the prettiest genre of music is jazz music.
我觉得,最漂亮的音乐流派是爵士乐
I love blues and golds and whites, and it just seems very pearly and iridescent a little bit.
我喜欢蓝色系,金色系和白色系,因为给人感觉比较闪,比较耀眼
When I listen to Etta James’ At Last,
听埃塔·詹姆丝的《终于》的时候,
the thing that stuck out most to me was just her voice at the very beginning when she goes into the "At last..."
给我印象最深刻的便是她起唱“终于”两个字时的音色
And it's just a very bright and but also warm sort of feeling and very kind of classic jazzy,
很明亮,同时又很温暖,很经典的爵士调调,
which jazz music generally has a very gold and blue sort of look to it.
爵士乐一般的主色就是金色和蓝色
Music has always been a very big part of my life.
音乐一直是我生活中非常重要的一部分
My older brother is very musical and when I think back of him playing the guitar for me,
我哥哥很有音乐天赋,当我回忆起他为我弹吉他的情形时,
I think of the colors of what those memories are.
我的脑海里就会浮现出那些记忆的颜色
I was always a little disappointed because I was never very musically inclined.
我一直都有点小失望,因为我从小就没什么音乐天分
It was really cool to have a way to bring music into, you know, my life in a different sort of way.
所以,能够换种方式让音乐融入我的生活对我来说是一件非常酷的事情
。