(单词翻译:单击)
In beautiful County Clare in the verdant southwest of Ireland,
在爱尔兰西南部郁郁葱葱,风景秀丽的克莱尔郡,
there is a man, a farmer, a local legend, a man who provides a very special service.
有一名男士,他是农民,是当地的传奇人物,也是一项非常特殊服务的提供者 。
That woman wants someone that looks like Donald Trump.
那位女士想找一个唐纳德·特朗普那样的人 。
Like I said, it's special.
我说过了,他提供的服务很特别 。
This Great Big Story is inspired by Genesis.
感谢捷恩斯对本期伟大的故事的大力支持 。
Matchmakers have been helping couples in Ireland since ancient times and this guy is one of the last.
自古以来,月老一直在帮助爱尔兰的男女结成姻缘,这位就是如今已经为数不多的月老之一 。
My name is Willie Daly. I'm a traditional Irish matchmaker.
我叫威利·戴利 。我出生于爱尔兰的一个月老世家 。
What I do is I find wives for boys and I find husbands for girls.
我的工作就是为小伙子找妻子,为小姑娘找丈夫 。
Matchmaking is a traditional thing, and it stemmed from the fact that in rural Ireland, most properties are left to a son.
做媒是我们这边的一项传统,来源于在爱尔兰农村,财产大多传男不传女这一习俗 。
And so, the grils (have) gone to Dublin, New York, and America.
女孩们去了都柏林、纽约,美国什么的 。
Sometimes there were no girls around, so matchmaking was very essential if someone lived in a rural place.
,有时乡下就没什么女孩儿了,所以对于住在农村的人来说,做媒是非常必要的 。
I inherited matchmaking, you know,
这份工作我是继承来的,
my father was a matchmaker and my grandfather was a matchmaker.
我父亲就是给人做媒的,祖父也是 。
So I've been doing it for over 50 years.
我已经做了50多年的媒了 。
This is a lucky love book; now it's 160 years old--belong to my father, my grandfather and myself.
这是一本幸运爱情宝典;现在已经有160岁了——曾经是我父亲的,也是我祖父的,现在成我的了 。
I have a little form.
我有一个小表格 。
People fill out a few details, maybe a couple of likes, dislikes, only less than that one page;
大家会在表上填一些细节,比如喜欢什么,不喜欢什么,表达只有不到一页的内容;
and some people fill up very little on the page; they just say open-minded.
有些人回答地就很简洁;就写了个“都行” 。
The book, I think it has magic powers.
我觉得这本书是有魔力的 。
So, if you touch the book with both hands and you are single,
如果你用双手触摸这本书,你又是单身的话,
you'll be in love and married inside of 6 month.
就会在6个月内恋爱结婚 。
And it seems it worked and in his career, Willie has brought quite a few people together.
这招似乎奏效了,在威利的职业生涯中,他已经促成了不少姻缘 。
Since I Started, I would say it's in the area of around 3000.
从我开始干这行算的话,到现在大概有1500对了吧 。
My matchmaking hasn't changed in 50 years.
我做媒的方法50年来一直没变过 。
My system with matchmaking is--timing is very important.
那就是做媒的时间是很重要的 。
The place you're doing the matchmaking is important.
做媒的地点也很重要 。
I love to introduce people with physical contact,
我喜欢用肢体接触来引导大家,
but that physical contact is often created and enhanced by people drinking a good lot and it makes them very happy.
但通常是在大家喝得比较多,比较开心的时候用这种办法 。
So my matchmaking has been--Arthur Guinness has helped it a lot.
我做这份工作——亚瑟·吉尼斯帮了我很大的忙 。
Today the matchmaking tradition has evolved,
如今,做媒这一传统已经发生了变化,
many matches are made at a festival in nearby Lisdoonvarna;
许多相亲活动都是在附近的利斯顿瓦尔纳过节的时候举办的;
every year the festival attracts thousands of people and lasts 24 days; Willie is at the heart of the event,
每年,利斯顿瓦尔纳的节日都会吸引成千上万的人,还会持续足足24天;威利则是这一节日的核心人物,
and to him, human contact is everything.
对他而言,人与人的接触就是节日的全部要义 。
Oh! Let's do it! Let's do it.
哇!那咱们开始吧 。说干就干 。
You can look into a woman's eyes and see the beauty of the woman and be able to tell her that you love her.
你能通过一个姑娘的眼睛看到她的美,然后告诉她你爱她 。
You can't tell an internet or a computer that you love her.
但你不能对互联网或是电脑说你爱她 。
You can't do that.
你不能吧 。
This is Willie's daughter, Elisha; she's a matchmaker as well.
这是威利的女儿伊丽莎;她也是一名红娘 。
Anyone can go online now and go on any of these websites Tinder, Plenty of Fish.
如今,大家都能上网,上Tinder啊Plenty of Fish什么的 。
I have never done it, so I don't knock it. I think it works for some people.
但我从来都没上过,没有尝试过 。我觉得网络这种方式在一部分人那里行得通 。
But people just want originality, they want someone genuine and that's where we come in.
但大家也会想要独特感,也会想找一个真诚的人,这个时候就轮到我们上场了 。
That's "The Wild Rover" now.
这首叫《漂泊之人》 。
One could almost say that everything has changed.
你可以说世道全变了 。
But I can equally say that nothing has changed.
我也可以说,世道一点儿都没变 。
People still have the same needs.
因为人们的需求没有变 。
They want someone to share the life with, share the work with, to get married have children and enjoy a lovely happy family life.
他们还是希望找个人共度余生,一起分担工作,结婚生子,一起享受美好幸福的家庭生活 。
That's very important.
这是非常重要的 。
I've never thought about not doing it.
我从未想过不做这份工作 。
People often say, "When do you want to retire?"
大家经常会问我:“你准备什么时候退休啊?”
But I suppose I would be bit smart, I would say, "Well, I'm too old to retire now.
但我会卖个乖,跟他们说,“这个嘛,我已经老得退不了啦 。”