(单词翻译:单击)
Hula is the language of the heart and therefore the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.
草裙舞是夏威夷人用心诉说的语言,是夏威夷人的心跳 。
And we tell our dancers, everything needs to dance.
我们对我们的演员的要求是,你的一切都需要跳动起来 。
Your hair, your toenail, your eyelashes, it needs to dance.
你的头发,你的脚趾甲,你的睫毛,都需要跳动起来 。
Within three days the competition tickets are sold out.
比赛门票不到三天就售罄了 。
Those tickets are like gold.
那些票就如同黄金一样珍贵 。
They only bring the best of the best and so we're very honored to be able to participate.
他们只接纳精英舞团中的精英舞团,所以,能够参加这场比赛我们感到非常荣幸 。
The most prestigious part of Merrie Monarch is the Miss Aloha Hula competition, which is the women's solo competition.
“快乐国王节”最负盛名的环节就是“阿罗哈草裙舞小姐”赛,这是一个女子单人比赛环节 。
Twelve halaus are allowed to choose their very best dancer.
十二个草裙舞学校可以选出学校最优秀的学员参赛 。
Our contestant this year is Kayli Ka'iulani Carr.
我们今年推举了凯莉·卡伊乌拉尼·卡尔 。
Ka'iulani is a professional hula dancer and we chose her for many different reasons.
卡伊乌拉尼是专业的草裙舞演员,我们推举她的原因有很多 。
We wanted her to go, not just a dancer, but as a person.
我们看中的不仅是她的舞艺,还有她的个人魅力 。
One of my favorite parts about Merrie Monarch week
我最喜欢“快乐国王节”的地方之一在于
is that we go to Kilauea to pay respects to Pele, who is the fire goddess, the goddess of creation.
我们会去基拉韦厄火山祭奠佩莱,她是我们的火神,也是我们的创造之神 。
And it really puts into perspective where you are in this world and in this hula journey.
这个活动能够让我们看清我们在世间所处的位置,以及在这次草裙舞比赛中的位置 。
I've wanted to be in Merrie Monarch since I was a little kid.
我从小就有参加“快乐国王节”的愿望 。
There was a lot of times when I thought I would never, it would never happen for me
很多时候,我都觉得我永远也没机会了,
but pretty much most of my hula journey has been working towards this moment, which is tomorrow.
但我的大部分舞蹈生涯似乎都一直在朝这个时刻前进,也就是明天啦 。
Professionally, I've been doing it since 2009.
我是2009年成为职业草裙舞演员的 。
There is a difference between dancing hula in a halau and dancing hula professionally.
在草裙舞学校跳草裙舞和以专业人士的身份跳草裙舞是有差别的 。
Dancing for the tourists is like American Chinese and not the authentic Chinese food.
为游客表演草裙舞就好比是美式的中餐,终究不是正宗的中餐 。
At hotels, here is what you'll see. Beautiful men and women, brightly colored hair pieces and leis which are all plastic.
在酒店,你会看到俊男靓女,一律用塑料制成的色彩鲜艳的发饰和花环 。
But you won't see the skill, you won't see the love that you would at the Merrie Monarch Festival.
但你不会看到舞艺,也看不到在“快乐国王节”能看到的对舞蹈的那种热爱 。
For Merrie Monarch we practice every day for, I would say, three to four months.
为了准备“快乐国王节”,我们每天都要练习,前前后后要练三四个月吧 。
They're intense.
强度是很大的 。
Can we try the end one more time.
结尾我们能再试一遍吗?
Why are you guys waiting?
你们还愣着干嘛?
Invitation, you need one invitation?
需要我请你们吗?
Come on you guys, get your head game on.
拜托,姑娘们,动动你们的脑子 。
The biggest misconception about hula is that it's easy.
关于草裙舞,最大的误解是它很简单 。
All hula dancers, and you quote me on this, have bad knees, all of them.
我敢说,所有的草裙舞演员,膝盖都不好 。
So when you see a beautiful hula dancer, that’s gliding across the stage, she's hurting.
所以,当你看到一个漂亮的草裙舞演员在舞台上飘过,她其实是很痛的 。
She's hurting really bad because nobody walks around with bent knees.
真的很痛,因为没有人是一直弯着膝盖走路的 。
You know, six inches off the ground.
膝盖离地面只有六英寸(约15厘米) 。
Blisters, you get blisters on your feet.
水泡,脚上会长水泡 。
Every single part of your body needs to work.
你身体的每一个部位都要调动起来 。
You should be gasping for air. But you can't.
该喘气的时候也不能喘气 。
You need to look exactly the same as when you first started.
你得全程保持状态 。
If you can bend your knees and swirl your hips and have this upper body carriage that's really upright,
如果你能弯曲膝盖,能扭臀,同时保持上半身笔直,
but make it look effortless, that's a true hula dancer.
还要让这一切都看起来毫不费力,那你就算是一个合格的草裙舞演员了 。
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Miss Aloha Hula Competition.
女士们,先生们,欢迎参加“阿罗哈小姐草裙舞”比赛 。
Kayli Ka'iulani Carr.
凯莉·卡伊乌拉尼·卡尔 。
If I gave the performance of a lifetime,
如果我参加了这个一生也难参加一次的表演,
if I gave everything I had to that one performance, those 14 minutes up there, just me, I've already won.
如果我在台上的那14分钟的时间倾尽所学,那我就赢了 。
You're just the vessel for all of these people that came before you.
你只是渡所有来到你面前的观众的一条渡船 。
For all of the knowledge that you have and it's your responsibility to share that, it's your responsibility to perpetuate.
你拥有的所有知识,你有责任与他人分享,你有责任让它永远流传下去 。
But, it would be so nice to hear my name being called.
但是,能听到自己的名字话就太棒了 。
And now ladies and gentlemen, Miss Aloha Hula for 2016, Kayli Ka'iulani Carr.
现在,女士们先生们,荣获2016年阿罗哈草裙舞小姐称号的是,凯莉·卡伊乌拉尼·卡尔女士 。
You know, I don't dance hula just to be a Miss Aloha Hula.
我跳草裙舞并不是为了阿罗哈草裙舞小姐这个称号 。
I do it because, just because I love it.
我这么做是因为,只是因为我爱它 。
And I can't explain to you why I do.
我也说不清为什么 。
I think it's something you're just born with.
感觉是与生俱来的 。