(单词翻译:单击)
This Great Big Story is by IBM.
感谢IBM对本期《伟大的故事》的大力支持 。
Traffic accidents (are) one of the biggest killers in the world.
交通事故是世界上最大的杀手之一 。
People are always surrounded by risk.
人们经常都处在风险的包围之中 。
Meet Kommy Weldemariam.
这位是科米·沃登马里亚姆 。
A celebrated IBM computer scientist and Africa's first master inventer.
他是著名的IBM计算机科学家,也是非洲第一位杰出的发明大师 。
To me, a good computer scientist uses algorithms and techniques to solve real world problems.
对我来说,一个好的计算机科学家是会用算法和技术来解决现实世界的问题的 。
The first law is: Learn from the environment.
第一条定律是:了解身边的环境 。
And the second is: Adampt to the context where you live in.
第二条是:将你学到的知识应用到你生活的环境里 。
This is downtown Nairobi.
这里是内罗毕的市中心 。
People use their phones for everything.
人们做什么事情都用用到手机 。
The chaotic nature of Nairobi usually leads to hazardous situations.
内罗毕的混乱经常会引发危险的局面 。
I was always somewhere in Nairobi having a coffee in the morning.
上午的时候,我经常会坐在内罗毕的某个地方喝咖啡 。
I saw that people are always just concentrating on their phone.
然后我看到大家都是盯着手机的 。
This lady was on her phone.
有一次,一位女士玩手机的时候 。
The car was coming in the wrong direction.
一辆逆行的车朝她开了过去 。
I was trying to yell and shout.
当时我想大喊一声提醒她 。
The car hit her.
但车还是撞到了她 。
I feel sad.
我感到很难过 。
And I came back and said, "Can we do something to prevent such accidents?"
回来之后我就想,“我们要怎么做才能预防这类事故呢?”
This is the smartphone safety system for pedestrians.
这是智能手机行人安全系统 。
Here is how the system works:
以下是该系统的工作原理:
You have more than 65 sensors in your smartphone.
我们会往智能手机里置入超65个传感器 。
You have the GPS sensors, accelerometers, motion sensors.
有GPS传感器,加速度传感器,运动传感器 。
The phone knows how fast you are typing or walking or talking.
手机能知道你打字、走路或说话的速度 。
It also knows whether you are walking in a dangerous neighborhood, or a faulty staircase.
还能知道你是不是行走在一个危险的街区,或者有故障的楼梯上 。
Your phone is a sensor; your phone is a data generator; your phone is a data collector.
手机既是一个传感器;也是一个数据生成器;还是一个数据收集器 。
And also, your phone is an application.
还是一个应用程序 。
The software in the phone--Kommy's system--analyzes the data to understand the context,
这款手机软件——名为“科米系统”——能通过分析数据来理解当下的情形,
calculate risk and warn the user of danger.
计算风险并向用户发出危险警告 。
This is just one of a hundred patents Kommy has filed for IBM in his young career.
这还只是年轻有为的科米为IBM申请的100项专利中的一项专利 。
This is the only industrial research lab in the continent.
这是非洲大陆唯一的工业研究实验室 。
We address problems across Africa.
非洲各地的问题我们都会研究 。
One thing I find very unique in IBM is the diverse and detailed nature of the company.
我发现IBM非常独特的一个地方就是它的多样性和对细节的追求 。
The expertise and the mentorship, and the environment that encourages intellectual freedom.
还有它的专业性和师徒制度以及它鼓励知识自由的氛围 。
I am always curious. I always want to understand.
我时常都有一颗好奇心 。我总是想把事情弄个明白 。
I just grab my coffee and sit outside, and I start thinking:
端着咖啡坐在外面,我就会开始想:
What would be the next invention?
接下来发明点儿什么好呢?