(单词翻译:单击)
Probably the last piece of advice for millennials I’ll give is:
也许我要给千禧一代的最后一条建议就是:
resist any attempts to make this about your choices rather than your options.
拒绝任何让它成为你的选择而不是选择权的企图
We get blamed for every single thing that happens to us,
任何发生在我们身上的事 都会让我们遭受谴责
that when we live far away from work it’s “because we want to be suburbanites,”
如果我们住的离公司很远 是“因为我们想当郊区居民”
and when we job hop to get higher wages it’s “because we’re flighty,”
如果我们为了更高的薪水换工作 是“因为我们太过轻浮”
and when we live with our parents because we have to, because the rent is too high,
如果我们因为租金太高 不得不跟父母住在一起
it’s “because we’re lazy and we just want to play video games all day.”
是“因为我们懒惰 只想整天打游戏”
Next time anyone brings up anything about your choices, tell them about how your options have changed.
下次再有人说起你的选择的时候 告诉他你的选择权发生了何种变化
Our options are objectively much more difficult now than they were for our parents.
客观来讲 现在我们的选择权比父母那个年代要难很多
Look up any statistic about wages, about the prices of housing, healthcare and education,
只需查看一下关于薪水 房价 医疗和教育的数据
about what kinds of jobs are available, and it is objectively worse now.
关于空缺职位的数据 就会发现现在的情况要糟很多

It is not your fault.
这不是你们的错
It is the fault of the people who are not interested enough to find out
这是那些没能发现
how things have actually changed in this country.
这个国家发生的真实变化的人的错
I think it’s important to have a reality check that most humans want a level of security
我觉得做一个现状核实很重要 确认多数人想有安全感
and most humans want prosperity for themselves and their families.
确认多数人希望自己和家人能够顺利发展
And so when we say things like, “Millennials don’t want to work,”
所以当我们说“千禧一代懒得上班”
or “millennials want to move jobs every couple years,”
或者“千禧一代每过几年就想换工作”的时候
what we’re oftentimes expressing is that millennials are working in an economy where they HAVE to,
我们通常表达的是千禧一代在一个他们不得不工作的经济环境中工作
where there’s all kinds of economic data showing that if you want a raise
在这种环境中 很多经济数据都表明 如果你想加工资
the best way to do that is to switch jobs.
最好的方式就是换工作
So for a lot of us that are paying off our student debts and paying way too much in rent—
所以对多数还在还学生贷款和高价房租的我们来说——
we need to move jobs.
我们需要换工作
You don’t have to justify your life to get a raise.
你无需为加薪寻找过多理由
If your company is employing you they are making money off of you,
如果你的公司雇佣了你 他们就是在利用你挣钱
you are entitled to some percentage of that money.
你有权获得这笔资金的一部分
If bosses say they can’t afford you, then threaten to leave—or leave!
如果你的老板说给不了你想要的工资 那就威胁离职——或直接离职
I don’t see any reason – I think it’s very important to keep in mind
没有任何理由——这一点很重要 一定要记住
that your company is fundamentally not loyal to you
从本质上来说 你的公司并不忠于你
even if the people are nice and even if your boss is great;
即便同事都很亲和 即便老板也很和善;
your company, the minute they need to let you go, they will let you go.
你的公司 只要它不再需要你 就会立即让你走人
And it’s time for you to have the same relationship to them.
你也应该以同样的态度来对待公司
So frankly you do not have to tell your boss about your student loans,
所以坦白说 你无需告诉老板你有学生贷款要还
you do not have to tell your boss about your high rent,
也无需告诉他你的租金有多高
you should go into your boss’s office every year and tell him you should get paid more,
每一年 你都应该去老板的办公室 告诉他你想要更高的工资
because you deserve it, and he is making money off of you and you deserve a huge chunk of that.
因为你值得 他在利用你赚钱 你应该分到其中的一大部分
So I don’t think we should fall into the trap of trying to use our poverty to get more money out of our companies;
我们应该跳出利用我们的贫穷来争取更高工资的怪圈;
I think we need to hold them accountable to the fact that they are making money off of our labor
要知道 是公司在利用我们的劳动赚钱
and we are entitled to a percentage of it.
我们有权获得其中一部分
So I think we often times talk about economic circumstances
通常我们在讨论经济环境的时候
as if they are the preferences of millennials when actually they are the necessity of millennials.
说的好像它们是千禧一代的偏好一样 但其实只是他们不得不做的事而已
So I think if you want to retain millennial workers, treat them as people.
所以如果你想留住千禧一代的员工 那就把他们当人一样对待
Consider that they are the same as people in their 40s and 50s: they want a decent life,
把他们当成四五十岁的人那样:想过体面的生活
they want a pension, they want pay, they want to feel like they have meaning in their lives.
想有退休金 想要薪水 想感受到生活的意义
And give them that.
为他们提供这些
I mean we don’t - I don’t think there’s any magic to having millennial employees.
我们不——留住千禧一代的员工没有捷径可循
I think: don’t hire them as contractors and recognize their unions and pay them decently,
我认为:不要像承包商一样雇用他们 认可他们的工会 给他们不错的薪水
and then they won’t leave your company.
这样他们就不会离开你的公司
It’s not that hard.
这并不难
