(单词翻译:单击)
The way I have instilled my four human children with the values that I prefer
多数情况下 我都不是通过告诉他们何为对错
is mostly not by preaching at them what’s right and what’s wrong,
来把自己的价值观灌输给我的四个孩子
that’s not very effective, especially for people with a contrarian personality,
这样做收效甚微 对具有逆势性格的人而言更是如此
which somehow all my kids ended up with. I don’t know how.
而我所有的孩子恰巧都具备这一特性
So the way I inculcated them with some approximation of the values that are important to me
所以我把对我而言很重要的价值观倾注给他们的方式
is just by spending time with them in various situations.
就是尽可能地多花时间陪他们经历各种情境
And if your children enter into various situations with you and see how you respond to various things
如果你的孩子跟你一起经历各种事 他们会看到你对各种情况的反应方式
and how you guide them to respond to various things in real life
还会看到你如何引导他们去回应生活中的各种情况
then your kids pick up sort of by osmosis.
这样他们自然而然就学会了你的观念
I mean they pick up due to their desire to imitate and to learn and to follow,
因为他们天生有模仿、学习和遵从的欲望
they pick up the practicalities of your values and your culture.
他们会拾起你的价值观和修养的实践性
And interestingly this can stick with them on an implicit level even if on the surface level many values change.
有趣的是 这些东西会潜移默化地影响着他们 即便从表面来看 很多观念都变了
One of my sons became a Sufi Muslim at one point
我有个儿子成为了苏菲派穆斯林
and some of his values are on the surface very different than mine.
从表面上看 他的某些观点与我大相径庭
Now I’m not Muslim, I’m not religious in any conventional sense.
我不是穆斯林 我没有任何宗教信仰
On the other hand he’s very compassionate kind of hearted person, he’s very intellectual, he’s a scholar
但另一方面 他又是一个富有同情心、善良、聪明的人 他是名学者
so if you look at a practical level
所以如果你从实际角度来看
the vast bulk of the values and culture that he got from myself and his mom when he was growing up
他在成长过程中 从我和他母亲那里获得的大量价值观和修养
it’s implicit rather than a list of rules, but it’s all still there.
都是隐性的而不是一串规则 但它始终是存在的
For and AI I think we need to take an approach somewhat similar to what we do with human children,
对于AI而言 我觉得我们应该像对待人类小孩那样对待它
we need to have AIs working and playing side-by-side with us in real situations.
我们需要AI在现实生活中与我们并肩作战 共同奋斗
We need to give the AIs a desire to imitate us on a basic level
我们要让AI拥有模仿我们的基本欲望
and to understand why we’re reacting how we react in this after this after this concrete situation.
让它们理解人类为何在一个又一个具体情境中做出那种反应
And then the AI can get a practical model of our values and our culture
然后AI就能习得我们价值观和修养的实用模型
as it’s manifested in a hundred thousand or a million real life situations.
因为它体现在成千上万的现实生活情境中
And this doesn’t guarantee the AIs will always respond the way we want,
这并不能确保AI总能按照我们希望的方式作出回应
but it will give it a real foundation,
但这会给AI建立真实的基础
which you’re not going to get from giving a list of like the three or ten laws of being a good human or a good human like mind.
这是你通过给它们三条或十条做好人或像好人那样去思考的法则所无法实现的
An important thing to remember when you talk about getting human values into an AI
要想把人类的价值观输送给AI 值得一提的一点是
is that human values are very much a moving target.
人类的价值观基本一直在变化
I mean much of what we do in our every day lives
我们现在习以为常的事
would have been considered horrendously immoral by the average human of the Middle Ages in Europe
在中世纪的多数欧洲人看来 可能就是大逆不道
or even for that matter a lot of the things we take for granted as being moral and right now
我们现在认为理所当然或者符合道德的事
were considered horrendously immoral by almost everyone
在20世纪70年代跟我一起在新泽西州上小学的同学看来
I went to elementary school with in the 1970s in suburban in New Jersey.
可能也是大逆不道
Like my mom is gay and because of that in the 1970s we got our car turned over,
比如我母亲是同性恋 就因为这一点 20世纪70年代的时候 经常会有人去砸我们的车
we got all the windows of our house smashed in
房子的窗户也全部被人砸碎
like that was completely unacceptable in the 1970s in Southern New Jersey.
这在20世纪70年代的新泽西州南部是完全不可接受的事
Now gay marriage is being legalized everywhere.
但现在同性恋婚姻在各地都合法了
I mean human values even in our lifetime have changed a lot
即便在我们一生短短的几十年中 人类的价值观也有翻天覆地的变化
so when you get to a technological singularity
所以提到科技奇点的时候
with brain computer interfacing and mind uploading and superhuman AIs
有了大脑计算机接口和意识上传以及超人AI
and we’re able to clone our body over and over again,
我们可以一遍又一遍地复制自己的身体
our values are not going to remain precisely the same as they are now even for us humans
即便对人类自身而言 我们的价值观也不可能一直停留在现阶段
so it’s absurd to think we can start an AI with our current human values
所以认为我们可以用现阶段的人类价值观去建造AI
and they’re going to stick with our 2018 human values forever, our own values are going to drift.
让他们一直保有2018年的人类价值观是很荒谬的想法 我们的观念会发生变化
So all we can ask for is the AI starts out with the values that we hold dear now
所以我们只能希望让AI先拥有我们现在的价值观
and as its values grow and evolve this growth and evolution is coupled with our own growth and evolution
随着这种观念的发展和演变 同时伴随着我们自身的发展和演变
whose direction we cannot foresee at this time.
目前我们还无法预知它将走向何方