(单词翻译:单击)
The other night I was taking Portia out to dinner, which I do often, and I'm like that.
前几天晚上我带波西娅出去吃晚饭 我经常这么做 我也很喜欢
And I said, is there any place special you want to go?
我说 你有没有什么特别想去的地方?
And she said, no, I don't care, wherever you want.
她说没有 无所谓 你想去哪儿就去哪儿
So I took her to the Cheesecake Factory, and then suddenly she cared.
于是我就带她去了芝士蛋糕工厂 但突然间她就有意见了
She was like, oh. Well, next time, have an opinion. OK?
她说 哦 下次发表点意见好不
So I don't know if you've been to the Cheesecake Factory lately.
不知道大家最近有没有去过芝士蛋糕工厂
But the menus are huge. There's a lot of a menu there.
不过他们的菜单超大 有好多好多菜单
And this is true-- they're the only menus visible from space.
这是真的 它们是从太空中唯一能看到的菜单
True story. This is what the menus looked like when I was growing up.
真的 我小时候的菜单长这样
It was just-- and these are all the food we had too.
就是 这是我们那时候能点的所有食物
This is-- we had a hamburger, a cheeseburger, fries, and grilled cheese.
这是 有汉堡 芝士堡 薯条和烤芝士
Those are the four. Life was simpler back then.
就这四个 那时候的生活很简单
Of course, your waitress was smoking when she took your order.
当然了 服务员给你上菜的时候还在抽烟
But this is all we had to decide from.
这就是我们那时候的全部选择
And then they found artichoke and things like that, and then we expanded the food groups.
后来他们发现了洋蓟之类的东西 然后我们的食材就扩大了
So here's a menu from the Cheesecake Factory that I stole.
这是一个我从芝士蛋糕工厂偷来的菜单
And all right, so like, literally, I didn't know if it was a menu or a Tom Clancy novel.
好 真的 我都不知道这是个菜单还是汤姆·克兰西的小说
I was like, what is going on here?
我在想 这什么情况
And then it's actually if you-- it starts with their story.
它真的 是从它们的故事开始的
It says, "Oscar and Evelyn Overton always dreamed of owning a successful family business."
上面说“Oscar和Evelyn Overton总是梦想着拥有一家成功的家族企业”
Actually, it's a pretty good read.
说实话 故事还挺好的
I got the menu on tape. This is crazy. OK, so it starts.
我把菜单做成录音了 太疯狂了 好 一开始
There's cocktails, and then there's more cocktails, and then there's wines.
有鸡尾酒 然后还是鸡尾酒 接着是葡萄酒
You don't even get to food till page 5.
直到第五页才是真正的食物
And then it starts with small plates and snacks.
然后先是小菜和小吃
And that's not even appetizers.
那些还算不上开胃菜
So the small plates and snacks are appetizers for the appetizers, I suppose.
我估计小菜和小吃只能算是开胃菜的开胃菜
And then there's several pages of appetizers.
然后才是好几页的开胃菜
And then there's pages of specialties.
接下来是好几页的特色菜
There's specialties there, specialties there, specialties there.
这是特色菜 特色菜 还是特色菜
Then it's not special anymore. You can't have that many specialties.
都没有那么有特色了 特色菜不可能有那么多的
The point of specialties is there's just a few of them.
特色菜的意义就在于它们很少见
And then you get to a Coke ad because I guess they needed a sponsor to pay for this thing.
然后是一则可乐广告 可能是他们需要赞助商来赞助菜单
Then there's two menus inside. Here's the skinny, skinny menu.
里面还有两个菜单 这是个很瘦很瘦的菜单
And it's for people who are on strict, strict diets who choose to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.
专为那些在严格节食却选择在芝士蛋糕工厂吃饭的人准备的
And then there's a one-page, simple menu.
然后还有一个一页的很简单的菜单
It's like Cliff Notes for the menu. Why not just go with this?
有点像菜单的导读笔记 干嘛不直接用这个呢?