(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
American English has a lot of color related idioms.
美式英语有很多与颜色相关的习语
Show Your True Colors
显露出你的真面目
Did you hear Kevin screaming at the new guy yesterday?
昨天你听到凯文朝那个新人大吼大叫了吗?
Uh, yes. How could I not hear it?
额 听到了 怎么可能没听到呢?
I had always thought Kevin was so calm and so nice!
我一直觉得凯文冷静又友好!
I had, too. But then yesterday, he blew up when I asked him a simple question.
我也是 但是昨天 我问了他一个很简单的问题 他瞬间就炸毛了
I think our friend Kevin is starting to show his true colors.
我觉得我们的朋友凯文开始显露出自己真实的样子了
A person who "shows their true colors" is revealing their real self to others.
“shows their true colors”的人是指向别人展示了真实的自己
And usually, what is revealed is not good.
通常都是不好的一面
The saying comes from pirates.
这个习语来自海盗
They would fly a flag suggesting their ship was friendly.
以前海盗会飘起一面旗 暗示自己没有敌意
But just as they got close enough to attack another ship, they would raise their pirate flag.
但一旦他们近到足以攻击另一艘船的时候 就会扬起海盗旗
And that’s English in a Minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目