(单词翻译:单击)
This is the grocery ice cream aisle.
这是超市的冰淇淋柜 。
And this is a witness hiding behind a screen to protect their identity and their business.
这位则是隐藏在屏幕背后保护其品牌及商业利益的见证人 。
The two are connected.
这二者有着密切的联系 。
This is a frost-covered door to a world of delicious treats,
这扇上霜了的玻璃门背后是一个美味点心的国度,
and this is John Kerry in September 1999, listening to a witness whose voice is scrambled to preserve their anonymity.
这则是1999年9月John Kerry在听某证人的证词,该证词已经做过变声处理,以便保护当事人的信息 。
“It’s not about the product.”
“这跟产品无关 。”
Really weird voice-scrambling here, by the way.
顺便说一下,变声很诡异啊 。
There is a war going on in the aisles of grocery stores.
超市的货架上正在上演一场战争 。
A lot of grocery shelf space is bought by companies selling you stuff, long before you see it while you’re shopping.
在你进超市购物看到那些商品之前,供货商们很早就已买下那些货架 。
It can cost as much as $5 million dollars to get your candy bar near the checkout in a bunch of grocery stores.
要想把你们品牌的糖果放到一些超市靠近收银台的货架上,你可能需要支付高达500万美元的费用 。
And even if you know about these so-called slotting fees, the arguments for and against them might surprise you.
即便你对这些所谓的进场费已经有所了解,针对进场费的争论也可能让你大吃一惊 。
Slotting fees say something about the hidden transactions that let buyers and sellers work together, and occasionally fear each other, too.
进场费透露了让消费者与商家既携手合作又相互畏惧的隐秘交易 。
Imagine you’re a new ice cream maker and you want to sell delicious Generic Ice Cream, the ice cream with delicious generic bits.
试想你是刚入行的冰淇淋制造商,你想把美味的非商标冰淇淋,也就是常见的那种味道还不错的冰淇淋卖出去 。
You can’t just start selling your ice cream.
你不能说卖就卖 。
If you want to be in a major grocer, you have to pay.
如果你想入驻大超市,你得给钱 。
Journalist Gary Rivlin recently wrote about the slotting fee economy in a report for the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
记者Gary Rivlin最近就给公共利益科学中心写了一篇关于入场费经济的报道 。
His story of a real ice cream brand called “Clemmys” is a guide to what might happen to your Generic Ice Cream brand.
报道中一个叫做“Clemmys”的冰淇淋品牌,或许可以给你的非商标冰淇淋提供一些借鉴 。
To get Generic Ice Cream inside a freezer door, you’d have to pay $30,000 to get in 350 stores — and that’s at a discount.
要想把你家的冰淇淋陈列在350家超市的冰柜里,你需要支付3万美元的入场费,这还是折扣价 。
Once you got in, sometimes you’d have to pay up to stay on the shelf.
入驻之后,要想持续停留在货架上有时还要继续交钱 。
And you’re competing against giants like Nestlé and Unilever.
此外,你还要和雀巢、联合利华等大品牌竞争 。
Rivlin reports they control basically 90 percent of the freezer doors because they’d already paid up.
Rivlin在报道中指出,这些大品牌占据了超市90%的冰柜,因为他们早已全款付清入场费 。
For giants like them, a $30,000 fee isn’t a lot — for you, however, it might be a major cost.
对这些冰淇淋巨头来说,3万美元的进场费根本不算什么,但对你来说,这可能就是你的主要成本 。
Even then, paying for your Generic Ice Cream to get on the shelves wouldn’t necessarily give you control —
即便如此,即便付了钱,你的冰淇淋也成功上架了,你也不一定就有了主动权 。
Instead, category captains, the big guys who pay the most, draft where every item goes, which can determine how well things sell.
相反,产品种类中的“领队” ,也就是给钱最多的大品牌,决定了每种商品的位置及其销售表现 。
Drawings like these, called planograms, help stores keep things organized.
这类图纸,即“货架图”,能够帮助销售门店保持货物陈列有序 。
See, Generic Soda goes here, Generic Energy here.
比如,非商标苏打水放这边,非商标能量水放这边 。
But they also help retailers sell space.
然而,这种图纸也能帮助零售门店出售陈列空间 。
Each spot comes at a cost.
每个陈列位置都是带价签的 。
The same is true of most of what you see in the candy, cookie, chip, and soda aisles.
这种情况同样适用于糖果、曲奇、薯条和苏打水货架 。
To writers like Rivlin, it’s no better than a bribe.
对Rivlin这样的作家来说,这无异于贿赂 。
Soda and candy pays up, and consumers have limited choice.
巨头们提前付清了苏打水和糖果的入场费,消费者的选择就变得十分有限 。
Your delicious Generic Ice Cream never hits the shelves.
你美味的非商标冰淇淋也就永远上不了架 。
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms banned stuff like this for alcohol in 1995.
1995年,烟酒枪炮及爆炸物管理局曾经禁止酒类售卖进行类似操作 。
And if you’re a regular reader of Frozen & Refrigerated Buyer,
如果你是Frozen & Refrigerated Buyer杂志的忠实读者,
you’ll know vendors are constantly fighting against these slotting fees.
你就知道供应商一直都在与这些入场费作斗争 。
So why are vendors resigned that slotting fees are here to stay?
那供应商们为什么又妥协了让入场费继续存在呢?