(单词翻译:单击)
We live in a country that has incredible abundance.
我们生活的国家无比富裕 。
But if you were to add up all of the hungry people, in Los Angeles County and its contiguous counties as well,
但洛杉矶县乃至周边区县穷人的总数
you'd have a state of hunger the size of New Mexico, or West Virginia.
相当于一个全是穷人的新墨西哥或西弗吉尼亚 。
Two and a half million people.
这里足足有250万穷人 。
To me, it is a mandate for us to do better around this.
在我看来,我们有义务改变这种情况 。
And it's so simple, it's just sharing abundance.
做起来也不难,只需要把我们盈余的东西分享出去 。
My name's Rick Nahmias, I'm founder and Executive Director of Food Forward.
我是Rick Nahmias,“食想”的创始人和执行董事 。
Our mission is to recover fresh produce that would otherwise go to waste, and get it to people in need.
食想的使命就是回收吃不掉要被浪费的农产品然后分享给穷人 。
We started in 2009, and I really was just walking around my neighborhood,
2009年食想成立之初,我原本只是在小区附近散步,
and seeing all these fruit trees dripping with citrus,
看到这些挂满柑橘的果树,
that I realized that with a few volunteers,
我意识到,要是有几个志愿者帮忙采摘,
there might be a project here that I could help facilitate.
那我或许可以搞一个帮助他人的项目出来 。
Eight and a half years later, and 43 million pounds later, here we are.
八年半的时间里,我们送出去了4300万磅的食物 。
We have fed over one and a half million people this year.
今年,我们给150万人提供过食物 。
We have three programs; backyard harvest,
我们有三个项目:后院采摘,
literally going into folks' homes who have agreed to have us in there,
基本上就是去那些同意我们采摘的人家家里,
taking excess produce from their trees, sometimes their gardens.
摘掉他们家树上或是院子里多余的农产品 。
The second program that was added a couple years later was Farmer's Market Recovery.
几年后我们又增加了一个项目,“农贸市场回收” 。
We're at about 24 Farmer's Markets every single week with volunteer teams.
每周,我们的志愿者团队都会摆出将大约24个农贸市场 。
And then the big one is the "Wholesale Recovery",
最后一个大项目是“批发回收”
which works kind of under cloak of darkness.
这个项目基本上都是摸黑进行的 。
We get up super early, usually before the sun even comes up,
我们起得特别早,通常太阳没出来
and are out there with our trucks gathering pallets and entire truckloads of food that is perfectly viable,
我们就已经起来开着卡车去收大件小件甚至是满车的农产品了,我们收的都是绝对可食用,
but for whatever reason would otherwise end up in a trash dump.
但原本都会被丢掉,且不管为什么要丢掉,的农产品 。
We're looking at things that just might have a slight discoloration, or a slight bruise on them.
我们要的都是那些稍有变色,或有轻度擦伤的农产品 。
It still has weeks left to its life, but it's not perfect.
即便已经不完美了,但离过期还有一段时间 。
And that's where we get called.
这也恰是别人打电话让我们去回收的原因 。
We have learned that hunger hides in plain sight here in society.
我们知道,这个社会的饥饿就摆在我们眼前,
there should be no shame around it, unfortunately there is,
人们原本不应该因为饥饿感到羞愧,不幸的是这就是事实,
but the more that we bring abundance out,
但如果我们把盈余的东西都赠送出去,
and really give people food with dignity, and give them quality, healthy, nutritious food,
带着尊严把食物,还是优质、健康、营养的事物,送给忍饥挨饿的人
these issues will slowly go away.
这些问题就会慢慢慢慢消失 。