(单词翻译:单击)
Hi, everyone, Squeaks and I just finished doing some cooking over in the kitchen,
嗨,大家好,我和吱吱刚在厨房里做完饭,
we wanted to make some delicious onion soup.
我们想要做些美味的葱头汤 。
And while we were chopping the onions for it, we noticed something strange happened.
当我们为了做汤切洋葱时,注意到某些奇怪的事发生了 。
I started to cry, Squeaks was worried that I was upset, but I wasn't crying because I was sad.
我开始流泪,吱吱担心我难过了,但我不是因为伤心才哭的 。
My eyes were just tearing up because of the onions.
我的眼睛流泪是因为洋葱 。
It's totally normal for chopping onions to make people cry, even if they're really happy and having a great day.
切洋葱使人流泪很正常,即使他们非常高兴、心情愉悦 。
And that's because crying isn't only for when you're feeling sad.
这是因为人们不只伤心时才会哭泣 。
Your eyes also make tears when they're dry, itchy or uncomfortable to help them feel better, and stay healthy and strong.
你的眼睛发干,发痒或者不舒服时也会流泪,这会帮助它们更舒服健康 。
That's what happened while we were cooking.
这就是我们做饭时发生的事 。
Something about chopping an onion was bothering my eyes.
切洋葱时某些东西刺激了我的眼睛 。
Sometimes things called irritants, stuff like dust, dirt or chemicals in the air can irritate and bother our eyes.
有时叫做刺激物的物质如空气中的灰尘、污垢或化学品会刺激我们的眼睛 。
Irritants make eyeballs itchy, dry and just generally uncomfortable.
刺激物使眼球发痒、干涩、不舒服 。
And we can't use our hands or a towel to get them out because our eyes are really sensitive.
我们不能用手或毛巾将它弄出来,因为我们的眼睛很敏感 。
Luckily, for us, eyes come with a built-in cleaning system, tears,
幸运的是,我们的眼睛自带清洁系统——眼泪,
which were kind of like a special washing machine for your eyes.
它有点儿像眼睛的特殊洗衣机 。
Tears contain a lot of water, which mixes up with any irritants in your eyes that are bothering them.
眼泪包含很多水,与你眼中扰人的刺激物混合着 。
Then the tears make their way to the corners of your eyes, up and over your eyelids and out of your eyes entirely.
然后眼泪流到眼角,越过眼皮,直到完全地流出来 。
That's when they roll down your cheeks, taking the irritants with it.
当它们从你的脸颊上淌下来时,也带着刺激物一起流下来 。
Crying helps your eyes to feel much better, much faster, even if you aren't sad.
即使你不伤心,眼泪也会使你的眼睛更舒服,恢复得更快 。
Sometimes if your eyes still hurt, a little running water can get any left-over irritants out.
有时,如果你的眼睛仍然疼痛,流水可能会把所有残留的刺激物清除出去 。
I think I'm okay now and I don't need any running water.
我想我现在好了,不用流水了 。
But I'm still curious about what part of the onions was causing my eyes to tear up.
但我仍然好奇是洋葱的哪个部分让我流泪的 。
Good idea, Squeaks! Let's try it! we've got an onion here and my eyes aren't watering.
吱吱,好主意!我们试试吧!我们这里有个洋葱,我没有流泪 。
The outside of the onion is dry and not too smelly. And my eyes feel fine so far.
洋葱的外部是干的,不太难闻 。我的眼睛目前很好 。
But if we cut it open, something changes.
但如果我们切开它,事情就变了 。
See, there's a bit of juice that came out and a very powerful onion smell.
看,里面有一点儿汁液流出来,还有一种非常强烈的洋葱味儿,
And now my eyes are starting to tear up a bit, too.
现在我的眼睛又开始流泪了 。
I know, it's because of the juice.
我知道,这是因为汁液 。
Once we cut open the onion, tiny bits of the juice can spread around in the air.
一旦我们切开洋葱,少量的汁液就会扩散到空气中 。
That's why it starts to smell more.
这就是它开始闻起来气味变强的原因 。
The juice floating around in the air gets into your nose.
漂浮到空气中的汁液进入你的鼻子 。
That also means it can get into your eyes.
那么它也会进入你的眼睛 。
And since the onion juice is an irritant, your eyes start to tear up to get rid of it.
因为洋葱汁是刺激物,你的眼睛开始流泪来清除它 。
It's starting to bother my eyes now, but it isn't too bad.
它现在开始刺激我的眼睛了,但还不是太糟糕 。
There are lots of ways to stop the onion juice from getting into your eyes, though.
不过,有很多方法我们阻止洋葱汁进入眼睛 。
Some people like to put onions in the refrigerator before cutting them, or soak the onions in water first.
一些人喜欢在切洋葱前把它放入冰箱,或者在水里先浸一下 。
That can help by lowering the amount of juice that gets into the air when you finally cut open the onion.
这可能帮助你最后切洋葱时,降低进入空气中的汁液量 。
Squeaks, do you have any other ideas?
吱吱,你还有其他的办法吗?
That's a great idea! We can wear our lab goggles.
好主意!我们可以戴实验室护目镜 。
Yeah, you know, cooking is just like doing a science experiment.
你知道的,烹饪就像做一项科学实验 。
Just like some kinds of scientists,
和一些科学家一样,
we combine different things carefully, measure out certain amounts and mix them up in all sorts of ways to create something new.
我们小心地融合不同材料,测量一定的量,用各种方法把它们混合起来,创造出新的东西 。
And in this case, it's delicious.
在这种情况下,它非常美味 。
If we're going to be kitchen scientists, dressing the part and wearing our goggles is lots of fun.
如果我们要成为厨房科学家,着装得体、戴着护目镜一定很好玩 。
If you want to try this for yourself, ask a grown-up for help cutting open an onion,
如果你想自己试试,叫个大人帮忙切一颗洋葱,
and see if one of these ideas keeps your eyes from tearing up.
看看这些办法是否能阻止你流泪 。
And thanks for joining us!
感谢您的收看!
If you want to keep learning and having fun with squeaks and me, hit the subscribe button.
如果你想继续学习,与我和吱吱共度美好时光,就点击订阅按钮吧 。
And we'll see you next time. Here at the Fort.
我们下期见 。沃斯堡等你哦!