(单词翻译:单击)
Welcome to English in a Minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》 。
Removing a pea or nut from its pod is called shelling.
把豆子或果核从豆荚里拿出来就叫做剥壳 。
But what does it mean to do this?
那么它是什么意思呢?
To Shell Out
交钱
Did you see that diamond ring on Marcy's finger?!
你看到马茜手上的那颗钻戒了吗?
I did! How much did Dave shell out for that?
看到了!戴维花了多少钱买那个呀?
I heard it was $10,000!
我听说是一万美元!
Whoa! I don't think ANYTHING that is just going to sit on my hand is worth shelling out $10,000.
哇哦!我觉得我手上戴的任何东西都不会价值一万美元 。
To "shell out" means to spend money. It is mostly used when the amount of money involved seems too high for what you bought.
"shell out"的意思就是花钱 。这个表达通常是在说你买的东西价格过高的时候使用 。
In our example, Jonathan thinks Dave spent too much money for a piece of jewelry.
在我们的例子中,乔纳森认为戴维为买一颗钻戒花了太多钱 。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是《一分钟英语》!