贫民窟建筑上的艺术品给生活带来光明
日期:2017-06-22 10:30

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

So when I decided to create an art piece in Manshiyat Naser, the neighborhood of the Cairo garbage collectors in Egypt,
当我决定在埃及开罗附近的垃圾收集处曼斯亚特 纳赛尔创作一件艺术品时
I never thought this project would be the most amazing human experience that I would ever live.
我从来没有想过实施这个项目将成为我人生中最令人惊叹的人生经历
As an artist, I had this humanist intention of beautifying a poor and neglected neighborhood
作为一名艺术家 我有这种人文意愿 那就是我希望去美化被人忽视的贫民窟
by bringing art to it and hopefully shining light on this isolated community.
将我的艺术品引入到那里 希望能够给被遗弃的社区带来一些光明和温暖
The first time I heard about this Christian Coptic community was in 2009
我第一次听到有关科普特基督教社区的消息是在2009年

tedyj14.jpg


when the Egyptian authorities under the regime of Hosni Mubarak decided to slaughter 300,000 pigs using the pretext of H1N1 virus.
当埃及在穆巴拉克的政权之下决定以甲型流感为借口宰杀300,000只猪
Originally, they are pig breeders.
起初,这些人以喂猪为生
Their pigs and other animals are fed with the organic waste that they collect on a daily basis.
他们用每天收集来的有机废物来喂养猪和其他牲畜
This event killed their livelihood.
然而这一事件断了他们的生计。
The first time I entered Manshiyat Naser, it felt like a maze.
我第一次进入曼斯亚特 纳赛尔的时候 感觉像是进入了迷宫
I was looking for the St. Simon Monastery on the top of the Muqattam Mountain.
我在Muqattam山顶上寻找圣西蒙修道院
So you go right, then straight, then right again, then left to reach all the way to the top.
右转 直行 再右转 然后左转一直到山顶
But to reach there, you must dodge between the trucks overpacked with garbage and slalom between the tuk-tuks,
但当你到达那里时 你应该避开那些装满垃圾的卡车和嘟嘟车的障碍
the fastest vehicle to move around in the neighborhood.
那是在这个社区最快的车
The smell of the garbage unloaded from those trucks was intense,
因为从这些卡车上卸下来垃圾的气味及其刺鼻
and the noise of the traffic was loud and overbearing.
而且那些卡车的噪音显得极大又强势
Add to it the din created by the crushers in those warehouses along the way.
再加上那些在仓库里发出噪音的压碎机
From outside it looks chaotic, but everything is perfectly organized.
从外观看这个地方是那么得混乱不堪 但是一切又那么融洽
The Zaraeeb, that’s how they call themselves, which means the pig breeders, have been collecting the garbage of Cairo and sorting it in their own neighborhood for decades.
这些自称“Zaraeeb”(养猪的人)的人数十载一直在开罗收集垃圾并在自己的社区将收来的垃圾进行分类
They have developed one of the most efficient and highly profitable systems on a global level.
他们已经开发了全球具有最高效 最高利润的系统
Still, the place is perceived as dirty, marginalized and segregated because of their association with the trash.
然而由于他们跟垃圾的联系使这个地方仍旧被视为肮脏的,被边缘化的隔离区
So my initial idea was to create an anamorphic piece, a piece that you can only see from one vantage point.
所以我最初的想法是创建一个变形模块一个你只能从一个有利的角度来看的模块
I wanted to challenge myself artistically by painting over several buildings
我想挑战一下自己的艺术功底 打算在几个建筑上作画
and having it only fully visible from one point on the Muqattam Mountain.
并使人们在Muqattam山上能看到其全景的方式
The Muqattam Mountain is the pride of the community.
Muqattam山是全社区的骄傲
This is where they built the St. Simon Monastery,
这是他们建立圣西蒙修道院的地方
a 10,000-seat cave church that they carved into the mountain itself.
一个内部有10000坐席的洞穴教堂
So, the first time I stood on top of the mountain and I looked at the neighborhood,
我第一次站在山顶时俯瞰着整个社区
I asked myself, how on earth will I convince all those owners to let me paint on their buildings?
我问我自己 如何才能说服那些房屋的主人让他们允许我在其建筑上画画呢
And then Magd came. Magd is a guide from the Church.
后来Magd来了 Magd是教堂的向导
He told me the only person I needed to convince was Father Samaan, who is the leader of the community.
他告诉我,我唯一要去说服的人是 神父Samaan他是这个社区的领导
But to convince Father Samaan, I needed to convince Mario,
但是想要说服他,我要先说服Mario
who is a Polish artist who moved to Cairo 20 years ago and who created all the artwork of the Cave Church.
他是20年前搬到开罗的波兰艺术家他创建了所有在洞穴教堂的艺术品
I am really grateful to Mario. He was the key of the project.
我非常感激Mario,他是我这个项目的关键
He managed to get me a meeting with Father Samaan, and surprisingly, he loved the idea.
他帮我约见了神父Samaan惊奇的是,他很喜欢我的想法
He asked me about where I painted before and how I will make it happen.
他问我以前在哪儿作过画以及我将如何实现这个计划
And he was mainly concerned by what I was going to write.
他最关心的是我要写的内容
In every work that I create, I write messages with my style of Arabic calligraphy.
在我创作的每一样作品中我都用阿拉伯的书法风格写要旨
I make sure those messages are relevant to the place where I am painting
我确保这些信息与作画的地区有关联
but have this universal dimension, so anybody around the world can relate to it.
通过这么一个普遍的维度使全世界的人都能理解
So for Manshiyat Naser, I decided to write in Arabic the words of St. Athanasius of Alexandria,
对于曼斯亚特 纳赛尔我决定将亚他那修的名言转换为阿拉伯语
a Coptic bishop from the third century, who said: (Arabic), which means in English,
他是来自第三世纪的科普特主教他说过:(阿拉伯语)英文意思是
"Anyone who wants to see the sunlight clearly needs to wipe his eyes first."
“任何一个想清楚看到阳光的人都需要先擦亮自己眼睛。”
It was really important for me that the community felt connected to the words.
找到能对这个社区感到共鸣的名言对我来说十分重要
And for me this quote was perfectly reflecting the spirit of the project.
对我个人而言,这句话十分完美地传达了项目的精神
So Father Samaan blessed the project, and his approval brought all the residents on board.
因此,神父Sammaan认可了我的项目有了他的批准,其他的居民也加入了进来
Hundreds of liters of paint, a dozen blue manual lifts, several trips back and forth to Cairo,
数百升的油漆,和一些蓝色手动升降机几次往返开罗
a strong and solid team from France, North Africa, Middle East and the US,
一个来自法国,北非,中东和美国的强大团队
and after a year of planning and logistics, there we are,
在经过了一年的规划和筹备后 开始了行动
my team and some members from the local community
我的团队和一些来自当地社区的人员
creating a piece that will spread over 50 buildings,
正在建造一个将蔓延50多座建筑的艺术品
some filling up the space of the calligraphy that I trace with colors.
一些有美术字体的空白处我填充上了颜色
Here some blue, there some yellow, there some orange.
这里用蓝色,那里用黄色,再那边一些橙色
Some others carrying some sand bags and putting them on the top of the buildings to hold those manual lifts,
还有一部分人拿来沙袋放在楼顶上用来固定住手动升降机
and some others assembling and disassembling those same lifts and moving them around the different buildings.
其余的人负责组装拆卸升降机并将它们带到每一座建筑
At the beginning of the project, I numbered all those buildings on my sketch,
项目初期我在我的设计稿上给所有的这些建筑编了号
and there was no real interaction with the community.
但这些并没有真正的与社区产生互动
People didn’t get the point of all this.
人们并没有在这一点上参与进来
But fast enough, those building numbers became family names.
但很快,这些建筑的代号变为了家庭的名字
The first building was the house of Uncle Ibrahim.
第一个建筑是易卜拉欣叔叔的房子
Uncle Ibrahim is such an enthusiastic person.
易卜拉欣叔叔是一个非常热情的人
He was always singing and making jokes, and his daughters and sons saved me from his bull who wanted to attack me on the fourth floor.
他爱唱歌,开玩笑是他的儿子和女儿帮我躲过了他在四楼的公牛的攻击
Actually, the bull saw me from the window and came out on the balcony. Yeah.
事实上,那只牛从窗户看见我后走到了阳台 是的
Uncle Ibrahim was always hanging out on the balcony and talking to me while I was painting.
易卜拉欣叔叔总是在阳台上散步当我在喷绘时他会和我聊天
I remember him saying that he didn’t go to the mountain for 10 years, and that he never takes a day off.
我记得他跟我说他已经10年没去过山上了他一天都没有歇息过
He said that if he stopped working, who will stop the garbage?
他说如果他停止工作,这些垃圾要谁来清理呢?
But surprisingly, at the end of the project, he came all the way to the mountain to look at the piece.
但惊讶的是,在项目结束后他来到了山上去看整个的作品
He was really proud to see his house painted, and he said that this project was a project of peace and sorry Thank you.
当他看到他的房子被添加了色彩 他感到非常的自豪他说这个项目是 和平与抱歉 谢谢
He said that it was a project of peace and unity and that it brought people together.
他说 这是一个和平与团结的工程它把所有人凝聚到了一起
So his perception towards the project changed,
此后 他对这个项目的看法发生了改变
and my perception towards the community changed also, and towards what they do.
同时 我对于这个社区的看法以及对于他们的看法也改变了
All the garbage that everybody is disgusted by is not theirs.
令所有人恶心的垃圾并不是他们的
They just work out of it.
他们只是工作
Actually, they don’t live in the garbage. They live from the garbage.
事实上他们不住在垃圾堆中 他们只是从中谋生
So I started doubting myself and wondering what was the real purpose of this whole project?
所以我开始质问我自己什么才是这个项目的真正意图呢?
It was not about beautifying a place by bringing art to it.
这不是一个关于用艺术去美化一个地方的项目
It was about switching perception and opening a dialogue on the connection that we have with communities that we don’t know.
这是一个交流观念,打开对话窗口的桥梁它帮助我们了解其他与我们相关的社区
So day after day, the calligraphy circle was taking shape,
就这样,日复一日 美术字逐渐成型
and we were always excited to go back on the mountain to look at the piece.
我们总是非常激动地回到山上去观看我们的作品
And standing exactly at this point every day made my realize the symbolism behind this anamorphic piece.
而且通过每天都站在同一位置我更加深刻地意识到 这张合成图背后的象征意义
If you want to see the real image of somebody, maybe you should change your angle.
如果你想看到谁真正的样子或许你应该改变你的视角
There was doubts and difficulties, like fears and stress.
这里曾经有疑惑和困难恐惧和压力
It wasn't simple to work in such environments, sometimes having pigs under you while you paint
在这样的环境下工作并不简单有时会有猪在你脚下 不论是在你作画的时候
or climbing a stack of garbage to reach a lift.
或是为了乘电梯爬垃圾堆的时候
But we all got over the fear of the heights, the swinging lifts, the strength of the smell and also the stress of not finishing on time.
我们都经历了对高空、 对摇摆的升降机对浓烈的气味的恐惧以及对无法按时完工的压力
But the kindness of all those people made us forget everything.
但当地人的善良使我们忘记了一切
The building number 3 was the house of Uncle Bakheet and Aunty Fareeda.

3号建筑是 Bakheet叔叔和 Fareeda阿姨的房子
In Egyptian, they have this expression that says, "Ahsen Nas," which means "the best people."
在埃及,他们有这样一句话“Ahsen Nas”意思是“最好的人”
They were the best people.
他们是最好的人
We used to take our break in front of their houses, and all the kids of the neighborhood used to join us.
我们经常在他们的房子前面歇息所有邻居的孩子会加入我们
I was impressed and amazed by the kids of Manshiyat Naser.
纳塞尔的孩子们让我惊讶 并给我留下了深刻的印象
For the first few days, they were always refusing anything we were offering them, even a snack or a drink.
在开始的几天里 他们拒绝我们给他们的任何东西甚至是一袋小零食或一瓶水
So I asked Aunty Fareeda, "Why is that?"
于是我就去问Fareeda阿姨“这是为什么?”
And she told me they teach their kids to refuse anything from somebody that they don't know
然后她告诉我是因为他们一直教育孩子们 拒绝一切陌生人给的东西
because maybe this person needs it more than they do.
因为也许这个人比我们更需要这样东西
So at this exact point I realized actually the Zaraeeb community was the ideal context to raise the topic of perception.
在那一刹那我才意识到其实Zaraeeb社区是一个探讨“感知” "认知”的理想地区
We need to question our level of misconception and judgment we can have as a society upon communities based on their differences.
我们需要质疑 作为一个社会我们基于其他社区的差异所产生的误解和批判
I remember how we got delayed on Uncle Ibrahim's house
我记得我们是如何耽搁在Ibrahim叔叔的房子里的
when his pigs that are bred on the rooftop were eating the sand bags that hold the lifts.
当时他畜养在楼顶的猪正在吃用来固定电梯的沙袋
The house of Uncle Bakheet and Aunty Fareeda was this kind of meeting point.
Bakheet叔叔和Fareeda阿姨的房子是我们的聚集地
Everybody used to gather there.
所有人都会聚到那里
I think this is what Uncle Ibrahim meant when he said that was a project of peace and unity,
我认为这就是Ibrahim叔叔当初说这是个有关和平与团结的项目时所要表达的
because I really felt that people were coming together.
因为我真的感觉到 人们在逐渐聚集到一起
Everyone was greeting us with a smile, offering us a drink or inviting us into their own house for lunch.
每个人都微笑地向我们打招呼,送我们水喝或是邀请我们去家里吃午饭
Sometime, you are at the first level of a building,
有时,你在一座建筑的一层时
and somebody opens his window and offers you some tea.
有些人会打开窗户请你喝茶
And then the same thing happens on the second floor.
同样的事情也会发生在二层
And you keep going all the way to the top.
然后你就这样一路到楼顶
I think I never drink as much tea as I did in Egypt.
我感觉我从来没喝过这么多的茶
And to be honest with you, we could have finished earlier,
老实说,我们其实可以提前竣工
but I think it took us three weeks because of all those tea breaks.
但我认为 这个项目花费了我们三个星期是因为那些喝茶的休息时间
In Egypt, they have another expression, which is "Nawartouna," which means, "You brought light to us."
在埃及他们还有一句话是“Nawartouna”意思是“你给我们带来了光明”
In Manshiyat Naser they were always telling us this.
纳赛尔的人们总是这样跟我们说
The calligraphy, actually I used a white glow-in-the-dark paint for the calligraphy
那个艺术字,事实上 我用了白色夜光涂料绘制了整个艺术字
so at the end of the project, we rented some black light projectors
所以在项目的最后,我们借来了紫外线投影仪
and lit up the whole neighborhood, surprising everybody around.
照亮整个社区惊讶了周围所有人
We wanted to tell them that they are the ones who brought light to us.
我想告诉他们的是他们才是那些带给我们光明的人
The Zaraeeb community are strong, honest, hard workers, and they know their value.
Zaraeeb社区是强大的,诚实的,勤劳的而且他们知道自己的价值何在
The people of Cairo call them "the Zabaleen," which means "the people of the garbage,"
开罗的人称呼他们为“札巴林人”意思是“捡垃圾的人”
but ironically, the people of Manshiyat Naser call the people of Cairo the Zabaleen.
但纳赛尔的人嘲讽地说开罗的人才是札林巴人
They say, they are the ones who produce the garbage, not them.
他们说,生产垃圾的是开罗人,而不是他们
The goal was to leave something to this community,
我们的目标曾是给这个社区留下一些价值
but I feel that they are the ones who left something in our lives.
但现在,我认为他们在我们的生活中留下了价值
You know, the art project was just a pretext for this amazing human experience.
你知道,艺术只是为人生经历增色的一个说辞
The art piece at some point will disappear, vanish,
某一天,艺术作品会绝迹,会消失
and actually there is somebody who is building a second floor in front of Uncle Ibrahim's house,
事实上这里有些人正在 Ibrahim叔叔的房子前建造另一座双层楼
so it's covering part of the painting,
这座新楼遮挡住了我作品的部分
so I might need to go back and paint over it.
所以我还得回去重新涂一下
It was about the experience, about the story, about the moment.
这是关于一次经历,一个故事 一个瞬间
From the streets of the neighborhood, the painting appears in fragments, isolated from one another, standing alone.
从附近的街道看 这幅作品是破碎的 彼此孤立独自站立在一旁
But connected with the sign of calligraphy
但是书法的标志使它们联系到了一起
that today reveals the powerful message that we should all think about before we want to judge somebody.
今天 它向人们揭示了强有力的要旨一个当我们去判断某一个人之前,都值得去思考的要旨:
Anyone who wants to see the sunlight clearly needs to wipe his eyes first. Thank you.
任何一个想清楚看到阳光的人需要先擦亮自己的眼睛。谢谢

分享到
重点单词
  • profitableadj. 有益的,有用的
  • concernedadj. 担忧的,关心的
  • manualadj. 手工的,体力的 n. 手册,指南,键盘
  • symbolismn. 象征主义,象征,符号化
  • dinn. 喧嚣 v. 絮聒不休地说,暄闹 abbr. 德国工
  • contextn. 上下文,环境,背景
  • organizedv. 组织
  • organicadj. 器官的,有机的,根本的,接近自然的 n. 有机
  • gratefuladj. 感激的,感谢的
  • enthusiasticadj. 热情的,热心的