(单词翻译:单击)
Britain needs a Labor Party that can rebuild after this defeat,
英国需要一个能够大选失利后迅速崛起的工党
so we can have a government that stands up for working people again.
那样 我们可以再次拥有一个代表劳动人民利益的政府
And now, it’s time for someone else to take forward the leadership of this party.
现在 是时候由另一个人来领导工党了
So, I’m tendering my resignation, taking effect
因此 我提请辞职 它将于今天下午
after this afternoon’s commemoration of VE day at the Cenotaph.
在纪念碑举办的欧洲胜利日纪念活动之后生效
I want to do so straight away,
我希望即刻处理此事
because the party needs to have an open and honest debate
因为我党需立即展开公开公正的
about the right way forward without constraint.
而不受限制的辩论
I always expected the selection
我一直认为选举
to be exceptionally difficult for the Liberal Democrats,
对自由民主党来说十分困难
given the heavy responsibilities we've had to bear in government
因为我们在最艰难时刻
in the most challenging of circumstances.
在政府中承担着重大的责任
But clearly the results have been immeasurably more crushing,
但最终结果的无情打击力度远远
and unkind than I could ever have feared.
超过了我所担心的
For that, of course, I must take responsibility.
对此 我自然该担起责任
And therefore, I announce that I will be resigning as leader of the Liberal Democrats.
因此 我宣布 我将不再担任自由民主党的领导人
A leadership election will now take place according to the party’s rules.
我党领导人的选举将会依照党规举行
