《名人传记》之亚伯拉罕·林肯第13期:财产没收充公
日期:2016-07-19 20:58

(单词翻译:单击)

名人传记

He was choking her,and she grabbed a hold of a stick of fire wood and fractured his skull, and he died.

他丈夫想掐死她 于是这个女人抓起一根柴火 打碎了他的脑袋 杀死了他

In his will he wrote:I expect she has killed me.

她丈夫在遗嘱里写到 我希望她真把我打死了


If I get over it, I will have revenge.

否则 我一定会报仇的

No one was keen to see her convicted,he was that kind of husband.

大家看到她的丈夫是这个德行 都不想判她有罪

I asked the prosecuting attorney if I might have a short conference with my client.

我征求了起诉律师的意见 和她短短的见了一面

And she and I went into a room in the courthouse,but I alone emerged.

我们约在法院的一个房间见面 但她没有出现

The window in the room was found to be wide open,It was believed the old lady may have climbed out of it.

屋里的窗户大开着 人们相信她是跳窗自杀了

I told the bailiff,Right before I left her in the room,

我告诉法庭监守 就在我离开房间之前

she asked me where she could get a good drink of water,and I told her Tennessee.

她问我她哪有好喝的水 我回答她田纳西州有

Mrs. Goings was seen no more in Metamora.Enough justice had been done.

格英丝夫人再也没有出现在梅塔莫拉 正义得到了伸张

They even forgave the bondsman her bail.

甚至没人向担保人要保释金

I'm afraid I don't see,I decided that the Constitution gives me war powers,

我恐怕不太 我断定 宪法赋予我开战的权力

but no one knows just exactly what those powers are.

可没人知道那究竟是何种权力

Some say they don't exist. I don't know. I decided,

有人说它不存在 我不知道 我坚信

I needed them to exist to uphold my oath to protect the Constitution,

我需要它们的存在 以坚守我保护宪法的誓言

which I decided meant that I could take the rebels' slaves from 'em as property confiscated in war.

所以我决定 我可以把反叛者的奴隶 作为战时财产没收充公

词汇解析

1、fracture

破裂;(尤指)骨折

At least one-third of all women over ninety have sustained a hip fracture.

超过90岁的所有女性中至少有1/3已经出现髋骨骨折。

(使)(轻微)骨折;(使)断裂

You've fractured a rib, maybe more than one.

你的一根肋骨断了,可能不止一根。

One strut had fractured and been crudely repaired in several places.

一根撑木出现了裂痕,有几处已进行了粗略的修补。

(使)分裂;(使)解散

His policy risks fracturing the coalition.

他的政策有分裂联盟的风险。

It might be a society that could fracture along class lines.

它可能成为一个阶级分化的社会。


2、uphold

拥护;支持;维护

Our policy has been to uphold the law.

拥护法律是我们一贯的方针。

It is the responsibility of every government to uphold certain basic principles.

各政府均有责任拥护某些基本原则。

维持,坚持(原判)

The crown court, however, upheld the magistrate's decision.

然而,最高法院维持了地方法院的判决。

分享到