血字的研究(MP3+中英字幕) 第83期:案情回顾(5)
日期:2015-11-23 15:26

(单词翻译:单击)

"At last, one evening I was driving up and down Torquay Terrace, as the street was called in which they boarded,
"最后,一天傍晚,当我赶着马车在他们所住的那条叫做陶尔魁里的地方徘徊的时候,
when I saw a cab drive up to their door.
我忽然看见一辆马车赶到他们住处的门前。
Presently some luggage was brought out and after a time Drebber and Stangerson followed it, and drove off.
立刻,有人把一些行李拿了出来,不久,锥伯和斯坦节逊也跟着出来,他们一同上车而去。
I whipped up my horse and kept within sight of them, feeling very ill at ease,
我赶紧催马加鞭跟了上去,远远地跟在他们后边。
for I feared that they were going to shift their quarters.
当时我感到非常不安,唯恐他们又要改变住处。
At Euston Station they got out, and I left a boy to hold my horse and followed them on to the platform.
他们到了尤斯顿车站,下了马车。我找了一个小孩替我拉住我的马,我就跟着他们走进了月台。

福尔摩斯探案集 血字的研究

I heard them ask for the Liverpool train,
我听到他们打听去利物浦的火车;
and the guard answer that one had just gone, and there would not be another for some hours.
站上的人回答说,有一班车刚刚开出,几个钟头以内不会再有第二班车了,
Stangerson seemed to be put out at that, but Drebber was rather pleased than otherwise.
斯坦节逊听了以后,似乎很懊恼,可是锥伯却比什么都要高兴。
I got so close to them in the bustle that I could hear every word that passed between them.
我夹杂在人群之中,离他们非常近,所以我可以听到他们之间每一句谈话。
Drebber said that he had a little business of his own to do,
锥伯说,他有一点私事要去办一下,
and that if the other would wait for him he would soon rejoin him.
如果斯坦节逊愿意等他一下的话,他马上就会回来。
His companion remonstrated with him, and reminded him that they had resolved to stick together.
他的伙伴却拦阻他,并且提醒他说,他们曾经决定过彼此要在一起,不要单独行动。
Drebber answered that the matter was a delicate one, and that he must go alone.
锥伯回答说,这是一件微妙的事,他必须独自去。
I could not catch what Stangerson said to that, but the other burst out swearing,
我听不清斯坦节逊又说了些什么,后来只听见锥伯破口大骂,
and reminded him that he was nothing more than his paid servant,
并且说,他不过是他雇用的仆役罢了,
and that he must not presume to dictate to him.
不要装腔作势地反而指责其他来。
On that the secretary gave it up as a bad job,
这样一来,这位秘书先生讨了一场没趣,
and simply bargained with him that if he missed the last train he should rejoin him at Halliday's Private Hotel;
只好不再多说,他只是和他商量,万一他耽误了最后的一班火车,可以到郝黎代旅馆去找他。
to which Drebber answered that he would be back on the platform before eleven, and made his way out of the station.
锥伯回答说,他在十一点钟以前就可以回到月台上来;然后,他就一直走出了车站。
"The moment for which I had waited so long had at last come. I had my enemies within my power.
"我日夜等待的千载难逢的时刻终于来到了。我的仇人已在我的掌握之中。
Together they could protect each other, but singly they were at my mercy.
他们在一起的时候,可以彼此相助;但是,一旦分开以后,他们就要落到我的掌握之中了。
I did not act, however, with undue precipitation. My plans were already formed.
虽然如此,我并没有卤莽从事。我早已定下了一套计划:
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him,
报仇的时刻,如果不让仇人有机会明白究竟是谁杀死了他;如果不让他明白为什么要受到这种惩罚;
and why retribution has come upon him.
那么,这种复仇是不能令人称心满意的。
I had my plans arranged by which I should have the opportunity of
我的报仇计划早就安排妥当,根据这个计划,
making the man who had wronged me understand that his old sin had found him out.
我要让害苦了我的人有机会能够明白,现在是他恶贯满盈的时候了。
It chanced that some days before a gentleman
恰巧,几天以前有一个坐我的车子
who had been engaged in looking over some houses in the Brixton Road had dropped the key of one of them in my carriage.
在布瑞克斯顿路一带查看几处房屋的人,把其中一处的钥匙遗落在我的车里了。
It was claimed that same evening, and returned;
他虽然当天晚上就把这个钥匙领了回去,
but in the interval I had taken a moulding of it, and had a duplicate constructed.
但是,在取走以前,我早就把它弄下了一个模子,而且照样配制了一把。
By means of this I had access to at least one spot in this great city where I could rely upon being free from interruption.
这样一来,在这个大城市中,我至少找到一个可靠的地方,可以自由自在地干我的事情,而不致受到阻碍。
How to get Drebber to that house was the difficult problem which I had now to solve.
现在要解决的困难问题就是如何把锥伯弄到那个房屋中去了。

分享到
重点单词
  • companionn. 同伴,同事,成对物品之一,(船的)甲板间扶梯(或扶
  • constructedvt. 构造,建造;创立,构筑;搭建(construct
  • engagedadj. 忙碌的,使用中的,订婚了的
  • precipitationn. 坠落,沉淀,凝结,冰雹,降雨量,仓促,急躁
  • opportunityn. 机会,时机
  • sinn. 原罪 v. 犯罪,违反(教规)
  • platformn. 平台,站台,月台,讲台,(政党的)政纲
  • protectvt. 保护,投保
  • solvev. 解决,解答
  • duplicaten. 副本,复制品 adj. 复制的,二重的 vt. 复