BBC地平线系列之《为何讲话》第39集:语言的出现
日期:2015-01-07 22:18

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

We may have been physically able to speak
从生理上说 我们那时就可以说话了
but linguists believe
但语言学家认为
it's more likely that the birth of language coincided with
语言的产生应该是在五万年前
the proliferation of man-made objects around 50,000 years ago.
与人造工具广泛流传的时间相同
At this time there was an explosion in art and technology.
那时艺术和科技空前繁荣
We start to see, for the first time in the archaeological record,
我们可以看到考古记录上首次出现了
lots of different tool types, lots of different implements,
各种各样的大量工具
lots of different huts that people lived in
各种人类居住的棚屋
and so these things seemed to appear rather abruptly,
这些东西似乎是突然之间大量涌现
suggesting that there was some change in the way we lived.
表明人类的生活方式发生了变化
Many scientists think that the birth of language
很多科学家认为是语言的诞生
instigated this cultural boom.
带来了那次文化繁荣
But without a time machine, we may never know exactly
没有时间机器 我们可能永远无法知道
when we started to talk.
人类开始讲话的确切年代
But what we do know is why.
但我们能知道说话的原因
Mark Pagel believes that language
马克·帕杰尔认为语言
probably developed as a practical way of defining roles
可能是作为定义社会角色的方式产生的
and it formed a kind of social glue.
并进而成为了社会的黏着剂

重点解释

We may have been physically able to speak从生理上说我们那时就可以说话了

able to 能做 ...

You are better able to do it than I (am).

你比我更有能力做这件事。

I am able to pick you up on the short wave radio.

我能用短波收音机收听到你的信号。

it's more likely that the birth of language coincided with the proliferation of man-made objects around 50,000 years ago.语言的产生应该是在五万年前与人造工具广泛流传的时间相同

coincided with符合; 与 ... 一致

My free time does not coincide with his.

我和他不是同时有空。

Your views coincide with my own.

你的看法同我的看法不谋而合。

so these things seemed to appear rather abruptly,这些东西似乎是突然之间大量涌现

seem to似乎 ...

Peter and Susan seem to be cut out for each other.

彼得和苏珊似乎是天生的一对。

A pall of mystery seem to hang over it all.

整个事件似乎笼罩上一层神秘的气氛。

分享到