BBC纪录片地平线《巨龙的奥秘》第18期:探索巴德兰兹(2)
日期:2016-12-09 18:25

(单词翻译:单击)

听力文本

But as he studied the photographs more closely, Currie noticed something.
不过Currie仔细研究了照片,他发现了一些东西
In one of them, Brown's assistant was working at the elusive site.
其中一张照片上,Brown的助手正在一个隐秘的地方工作
Behind him was a distinctive ridge of hills.
他身后有一座与众不同的山丘
If Currie could find that ridge, he could find the site.
如果Currie能找到这座山丘,他也就能找到这个地方
If you look at this particular photograph, you can see a series of ridges with trees behind them.
你可以看看这张特别的照片,他们后面有一片山丘上面生长着树木
And there's not that many places around here we were going to get exactly that combination of ridges and trees.
这个地方长着树的山丘并不多
So if you can line yourself up properly with those ridges and trees,
所以你可以比对这些山丘和树
then you know you're in the right area and you have a very good chance of finding the quarry itself.
找到正确的地点后就有机会找到化石场

BBC纪录片地平线《巨龙的奥秘》

Even so, it's still like looking for a needle in a haystack.
虽然如此,这仍然是大海捞针
We spent a couple of days basically scouring the area,
我们花了两天时间搜索这片地区
looking for just the right combination of Badlands as revealed in the photographs.
在巴德兰兹寻找和照片上一模一样的景观
Well, the first day went by and we had no luck. But the next day turned out to be the hottest day of the year.
第一天过去了,我们一无所获。第二天是一年中最热的一天
And the expedition, which numbered about 16 people, basically ran out of water.
探险队的16个人面临缺水的困难
By lunch time, everybody had gone back to camp except for me. I'm crazy enough I guess that I kept at it.
到了午饭时间,除了我,每个人都回到营地。我想我是疯了,我总是这样
I went through all the Badlands here.
我走过巴德兰兹的这片地区
And you can see these canyons are quite deep, so going up and down them on the hottest day of the year was quite an effort.
你能看到这里的峡谷很深,所以在一年中最热的这一天上下翻越的确非常辛苦
There was a point over there when I suddenly realized that a ridge in this region looked like it might just have the right kind of viewpoint.
走到那边时,我突然注意到那边的一座山丘看上去挺像照片上的那座
I got to the top, and as I mounted this ridge over here,
我爬上山顶,眺望这里的山丘
I could see that the trees and the ridge lined up exact perfectly. I knew I had the site.
我看到山顶上的树和照片非常吻合。我知道我已经找到它了

词汇解析


1.a distinctive ...of 与众不同的...
That is a distinctive aspect of homo sapiens: We have a big brain.
而这正是人类独具特色的一面:我们有一个硕大的大脑。

2.a needle in a haystack 大海捞针
We often ignore the real problem and instead search for a needle in a haystack.
我们经常忽略实际问题,而是大海捞针。

3.have no luck 不顺利;没有福气
She why have no luck to marry this man?
为什么她就没有福气嫁给这个男人呢?

4.quite an effort 花费相当大的力气
It's quite an effort to lift this heavy box.
抬起这只沉重的箱子要花费相当大的力气。

视频及简介

BBC跟随着科学家到达阿根廷。在那里,他们挖掘到了一种崭新的恐龙。它们比暴龙还要大,是至今为止所发现的最大的食肉动物。这种捕猎者的头骨比一个人要大,上面还布满了锯齿状的,小刀样的牙齿和长的,强壮的颚肌肉。它们能够以外科手术般的精确度来把它们的猎物切成碎片。


分享到