波士顿法律第一季(MP3+中英字幕):第9集 药品实验
日期:2017-01-25 14:40

(单词翻译:单击)

It is also my expert opinion that the document analysis is reliable,
我的专业看法是,分析报告可以被采信
as these handwriting samples are comparatively similar.
这两个字迹样本相当近似
I am so bored. Shh.
太无聊了,嘘
I need to get back to the office.
我要回办公室
I have so much work to do on the Myers case.
迈尔斯的案子还有许多要准备
The sample provided on the top
顶端的字迹样本
contains the same content
与下方的原迹
as the original on the bottom.
有着相同的内容
Namely, they are both the subject's signature, no pun intended.
也就是,它们的内容都是签名,我可没想一语双关
"Namely."
签的名字
This is actually killing me.
这太折磨人了
Part of me is dying. Shh.
我要崩溃了,嘘!
I have a bomb!
我身上有炸弹!
This is better.
这个精彩多了
Remember me, judge?
记得我吗?法官
15 to 20 for aggravated manslaughter?
15到20年,严重过失杀人罪
Well, I got out today.
你看,今天我出狱了
And you know what?
而且你知道吗?
I'm still aggravated!
我更严重了
Sit down!
坐下
Do you mind? We're trying to conduct a trial here.
麻烦,我们正在开庭...
Get over here!
过来!
Did you hear me?
听到没有?
I said I had a bomb.
我说过了,我有炸弹
No, you don't and here's why.
不,你没有,很明显
A, you said "manslaughter,
首先,你提到"过失杀人"
which means that you didn't have the guts
说明你根本没胆量
for murder one the first time around.
上次就没敢想杀人
B, if you're clever enough to make that aggravation choke,
其次,如果上次你能聪明到,利用严重过失
you're clever enough to know that threatening to have a bomb
你就也能想到宣称有炸弹
carries a much lesser sentence than actually wearing one.
比真的携带炸弹,量刑轻很多
C, that coat is fairly svelte.
还有,你的外套看上去很贴身
And D, if you really had a bomb,
最后,如果你真的有炸弹
you wouldn't need to have a hostage.
你就应该不需要人质了
Would you?
对不对?
I do have a bomb.
我有炸弹
Come on, we've got two more expert witnesses to get through by lunch.
帮帮忙,我们还有两个专家证人,要在午饭前出庭作证
I'm assuming you can speed through your testimony
我拜托你少点慷慨呈词
just to keep up with our schedule? Uh-huh.
好让我们赶上进度,这个...
You sit down, or I'll blow this thing!
你给坐下,否则我就引爆了
You don't have a bomb. Yes, I do!
你没有炸弹,我有
No, you don't. Yes, I do.
你没有,我有
Prove it. Mr. Chase, perhaps...
那爆啊,蔡斯先生,万一...
I was a hostage negotiator as a marine.
我曾经是海军的谈判专家
This man does not have a bomb.
眼前这个人没有炸弹
I do, too! You're interrupting, sir.
我有的,请不要打断我,先生
Mr. Chase... Show me the bomb.
蔡斯先生,把炸弹给我看看
I'll blow this thing!
我要引爆它了
Mr. Chase! Show it to me.
蔡斯先生,给我看啊
I'm not gonna show you.
我这就给你看
I didn't think so.
我不信
Fine.
等着
What do you know?
天知道...
What's that thing?
那是什么东西?
It's an ornament. A Christmas tree ornament.
装饰,圣诞树顶的装饰
You can't go to court like that.
你不能这么上庭
Of course not.
废话
You okay, Denny?
丹尼,你怎么了?
It's this case.
这个案子
It seems like I've done nothing else but work on it for the last three weeks.
三周来除了这案子,我就没能做过其他事
What in particular about the case is bothering you?
到底你在烦什么?
I don't know what it's about.
我完全没方向
It's, well, if you, say,
那个,如果说你要
were going to briefly describe it to someone who was clueless,
对着一个比较迟钝的人,简明扼要的解释
what would you say?
你怎么说
I'd say we represent a big drug company...
我会说我们代表着大型制药公司
Yes, that's the part I like.
嗯,这点我能明白
Then I'd say they're being sued by a woman
然后我会说,公司被一个女人给告了
who claims she was wrongfully removed
她觉得自己被毫无道理的从
from the company's clinical trial of a potent, new diabetes medicine.
公司的新药试验中被排除了,糖尿病的特效药
That's where I lose track.
这就是我搞不懂的地方
Special pills make woman happy.
一种小药片让女人很满足
Company take pills away.
公司却拿走不给她了
Woman sue to get back on special pills.
女人就要上法庭讨回它们
Got it.
懂了
Denny
丹尼
Martin. Hey.
马丁,嘿
Martin
马丁
You remember Alan Shore?
还记得艾伦·肖尔吧?
It's an ornament.
只是个装饰品
I head the office cheer committee.
我是公司啦啦队的队长
Since I received no late night call last night, I assume we didn't settle.
昨晚我没接到电话,看来事情没搞定
We informed your in-house counsel.
我们已经通知你的顾问律师了
I like to hear things from you.
我想亲耳听你说
I feel I have a direct relationship with you.
我觉得我们的私交,甚笃
We didn't settle.
我们没搞定
I don't really understand this.
我不明白
Every legal opinion I've gotten says the merits fall
我所得到的每个法律意见都说
one-sidedly in our favor.
我们有压倒性的优势
Legal opinions only go to the law, Mr. Jeffries.
那只是"法律"意见,杰弗里斯先生
I had opportunity to view the plaintiff's videotaped deposition.
我凑巧看过原告的录像资料
She comes off as an extremely sympathetic and likable person.
她显得那么楚楚可怜,惹人同情
And?
那怎样?
You don't.
你不是
Our fear, and the plaintiff's hope,
我们担心,也是原告希望的
is that the jury will like her and feel for her pain
就是陪审团会喜欢她,和她感同身受
and attempt to alleviate said pain
然后就想要缓解这种痛苦
with millions and millions of your dollars.
用的当然是,上百万美金的,你的钱
I was under the impression I hired attorneys who could employ reason
我深感我所雇用的律师,应该能找到办法
and intellect to offset the emotion inuring to the plaintiff's favor.
能化原告优势为乌有,消除这种同情于无形
Did I hire the wrong law firm, Mr. Shore?
难道是我选错了律师行,肖尔先生?
Certainly not, sir.
当然没有,先生
You've hired the best.
你找了最好的
Paul
保罗
The Myers age discrimination case.
迈尔斯年龄歧视案
We just got the dvd-rom delivered.
我们刚收到快递来的DVD
6,500 pages of Mcnamara documents,
麦克纳马拉送来的文件有6千5百页
every useless document they could dump on here.
他们把所有没用的资料,全塞过来了
Well, they're probably not ready, and this is meant to slow us down.
看来他们还没准备好,想用缓兵之计
Right, and they want to force us to ask for a continuance
是的,他们想逼我们提出延期
because they know judge Simmons won't give them anymore.
因为法官不会再同意,他们的申请了
Well, we won't be asking for one. Uh, miss Heep.
我们不会去申请的,黑普小姐
Uh, miss Wilson.
威尔逊小姐
We have a trial next week. Lori will fill you in.
有个案子下周开审,详情洛里会介绍
I want you to pour through this document.
我要你们把这份文件,仔细查一遍
The likelihood is it contains nothing relevant,
很可能里面的内容完全没用
but we can't take any chances.
但我们不能冒这个险
Lori will tell you what to look for.
洛里会告诉你们要注意什么的
I'm sorry. Um...
抱歉,这个...
can you get somebody to take my place on this, please?
能找其他人代替我吗?拜托
You have something else more pressing?
你有更急的事情要做?
No, but I prefer not to work on this case.
没有,但我不想参与这个案子
Why not?
为什么?
It's personal.
私人理由
You're making it professional.
那就给我专业点
I'm, I'm just not...
我...我只是不...
I, I'm uncomfortable working with Tara.
我...和塔拉共事,我会感到尴尬
Because?
原因呢?
I used to sleep with Alan Shore, and now she does.
我和艾伦·肖尔睡过,现在她在睡
And she wants to.
而且她也想要睡
I do not.
我没有
How dare you make a remark to one of the most senior partners of this firm
你怎么能在公司最资深的,合伙人面前信口开河
that I want to sleep with another associate here.
说我想和同事上床
Even if I did want to sleep with Alan Shore,
就算我想睡艾伦·肖尔
which, I assure you, I do not,
当然,我能保证绝无可能
but even if your remark was truthful,
但就算你说的是真的
it would not make it any less inappropriate.
也不代表你这种行为能让人容忍
You're right.
你说得对
I apologize.
我道歉
Do you bear some ill will towards me? No.
你是不是对我有意见? 没有
I suppose I regressed to the childish defense that
我想我退化到了小孩的辩护水平
"Everybody else is doing it."
"别人也做了"
But I'm not doing it, Tara.
可我没有,塔拉
I'm not sleeping with Mr. Shore, which you very well know.
你明知我没和肖尔上床
I only said you wanted to.
我只是说你想
And, again, I apologize.
不过,我再次道歉
My remark was, as you say,
我所做所为,正如你说的
completely inappropriate,
完全不可容忍
however accurate.
就算是实事
I have had type II diabetes since I was 25.
我25岁就得了II型糖尿病
It's been the same medicines pretty much the whole time.
就整天与药物为伍
And when you were invited to participate in a clinical trial of SV-113,
在你被邀请参加SV-113临床实验后
what did your daily regimen become?
你每天是如何吃药的?
I took one pill in the morning when I woke up.
一早起来吞服一粒药
That's all?
就这些?
That was it.
就这些!
I had more energy, I was even losing weight,
我更有精力了,甚至体重还减下来了
and no more needles.
不再需要打针
It was a godsend
就像上天的恩赐
until they took it away.
直到他们不再给我药
And how did that happen?
后来呢?
My doctor told me that the company had kicked me off the test.
我的医生告诉我,那个公司把我从试验中剔除了
He said that I had broken the rules of the trial, but I didn't.
他说,我违反了试验规则,可是我没有
I didn't do anything wrong.
我没有做错任何事
And after you were taken off the test?
那在你离开那个试验后呢?
My health deteriorated again rapidly.
我的身体马上又开始恶化了
Can you tell us your prognosis today?
你会怎样预计自己以后的情况?
I'm dying.
我会死掉
I've got probably five to six years,
我大概还能活个五到六年
unless something changes drastically.
除非有翻天覆地的转机
What reason did the company give for
这家公司拿什么理由
removing you from the SV-113 study?
把你从SV-113试验中除掉
Noncompliance, but I complied.
不合作,但是我一直很合作的
You're a heavy smoker, is that correct, Mrs. Hewitt?
休伊特夫人,你是个烟鬼吧?
I quit.
我戒了
When did you quit, if I may ask?
冒昧问下,你什么时候戒的?
A week before the study.
实验前一周
Just like that, two packs a day. Cold turkey.
原本一天两包,忽然就能戒掉?
My life depended on it.
我要活下去
Some of the doctors and clinicians,
几个临床医生
uh, smelled cigarette smoke on you during your exams.
在检查时闻到你身上有烟味
My husband's a chain smoker.
我丈夫烟不离口
It was his smoke they smelled on my clothes.
烟味会留在我衣服上
Amazing. You smoked two packs a day,
真厉害,你曾经每天2包烟
you live with a chain smoker,
还和个烟囱住一起
and you're able to just quit cold turkey.
但你却能说戒就戒掉
Objection. Sustained.
反对!反对有效
Mrs. Hewitt, 177 million people in the world have diabetes.
休伊特夫人,世界上有1.77亿的人患有糖尿病
This drug study is the only way to get SV-113,
这次药物试验是SV-113唯一
the drug you yourself called a godsend, approved for sale.
也就是你所说的天赐之物,能被获准出售的途径
177 million people are counting on you
1.77亿的人指望着你
to follow the rules, Mrs. Hewitt.
能遵守规定,休伊特夫人
Which I did.
我是这么做的
With the stakes being so enormously high,
想到这样的生死攸关
with some 70,000 people dying
想到每年7万人口
every year from diabetes
因糖尿病而丧命
with a desperate need to develop a drug
想到对研制药物的迫切渴望
that can save those lives,
以便挽救那些生命
you realize how important it is
你能理解,对我的当事人来说
for my client not to take any chances, don't you?
不能冒任何风险,对吗?
I followed all the rules.
我遵守了所有的规则
All in all, I don't think she hurt us.
总之我不认为她威胁到了我们
She hurt us. I saw the jury.
她有,我看到了陪审团反应
How badly she hurt us, where's our expert?
不能再糟了,我们的专家呢?
Should be waiting in the conference room.
应该是在会议室吧
I'll meet you there.
那就会议室见
Sally, may I offer you one little piece of advice?
萨莉,提个小小的意见?
ok
好的
You're an extremely beautiful young woman.
你是个漂亮又优秀的女人
Thanks for the tip. That's not the advice.
谢谢赞赏,那不是重点
The advice is, be aware of lecherous senior partners
我说的是,要小心那些色狼合伙人
who are looking for the slightest excuse
故意找些小小借口
to plant a big wet one on you.
一个狼吻,生吃掉你
Excuse me?
什么?
They lurk, and when beautiful women such
他们潜伏着,等待像你这样漂亮的女人
as yourself stand under the mistletoe.
就这样站到槲寄生下
Merry christmas, Sally. Let's go meet our expert, Denny.
圣诞快乐,萨莉,丹尼,去见见我们的专家
I had a blood flow going. No doubt.
我的血液在沸腾,当然
Dr. Gerard.
杰勒德医生
Yes.
是的
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Single.
单身
Alan Shore
艾伦·肖尔
Hello.
你好
Very nice to meet you.
很高兴见到你
Well, should we get started? We should.
能开始了吗? 是的
I'm afraid it's gonna be a very long night.
恐怕这将是个漫漫长夜
I'll need to go over every inch of you with a fine-toothed comb.
我要仔细地看遍你每个细节色色的
I beg your pardon, your testimony.
抱歉,我是说证词
I'll need to go over your testimony with the comb.
我要梳理一下你的证词
Where are we going to do this?
我们在哪里谈?
Right here.
就这里
It's not my case, Rene.
这不是我的案子,雷内
It's Lori's.
是洛里的
I have no idea where she is. Hang on.
我不知道她在哪,你等下
Do you know where Lori is?
知道洛里在哪吗?
No, I gotta run. I got that dinner thing.
不知道,我得走了,有一个饭局
Okay, go.
好的,去吧
Need a ride anywhere? No, thanks. My car's in the garage.
要送你一程吗? 不了,我的车就在车库
All right, so, what's the big emergency?
什么急事?
Well, if you have him on the phone, then ask him.
如果他还在线,就去问他
I don't want anything I'm offering.
我是在给你们方便
Since we turned over that cd the last second,
考虑到最后一刻才给你们CD
we won't oppose a continuance if you people want it.
你们要申请延期,我们不会反对的
Say you need to page Lori,
说你要通知洛里
ask if she can call him later, and then get his cell phone number.
问能不能晚些打过去,然后要他的电话号码
Yeah. That'll be great.
好,这样也好
Uh, my number's 617-555-0194.
我的号码617-555-0194
Thanks.
谢谢
Can I get a beer?
啤酒
Oh! Oh!
噢,噢
Fantastic! Oh, I'm terribly sorry.
这下可好了,噢,真对不起啊
It's all right.
没关系
It's okay. I'm embarrassed.
没关系,太丢脸了
I'll pay for the dry cleaning, I assure you.
我会付干洗费的
It's okay. Really.
没关系,真的
So besides Ms. Hewitt, there were 56 other people removed from the study.
除了Ms. Hewitt ,还有56个人也被这个计划剔除了
For a drug of this magnitude, we have to be extremely cautious.
这样重要的药物研发,我们必须非常小心谨慎
But what motivated your caution?
这种谨慎是出于什么考虑?
Please tell me it was more than a hunch.
别告诉我只是凭感觉
After all, these people do suffer from
毕竟这些人都正在忍受着
a crippling, life-threatening disease, doctor.
致命的疾病,医生
As do I.
我也一样
I'm very sorry.
我很抱歉
I understand the promise of a drug like this
因为我自身的状况
on a very personal level, Mr. Shore.
我能体会到这种药给病人的希望,肖尔先生
But if it endangers people...
但如果它会对人造成危害..
How does it endanger people?
怎么危害?
How are these 57 people endangered by SV-113?
这57个人怎么会被SV-113危害?
57, that's an exceptionally large number 57
这个数字未免太大了
of people to purge, isn't it, doctor?
剔除了这么多人,你说呢,医生?
How are these people endangered?
这些人怎样被危害了?
They weren't.
不是那样
Marybeth Hewitt and the 56 others were on a different drug.
玛丽贝斯·休伊特和其他56人,服用的是另一种药物
It was a slight variation from SV-113
是SV-113的细微变体
that we had only begun to investigate.
我们只是刚开始研究
These people, they knew they were on this other drug.
这些人,知道服用的是另外的药物?
No.

So you gave an experimental,
也就是说,你们对这57人
unproved drug to 57 people
用未经证实的药物做试验
and told them they were taking something else?
然后告诉他们正在服用的,是另一种药物
But as soon as we became aware of the side effects...
但我们一发现,药物副的作用时就...
The headaches?
你说头疼?
There was onset of acute liver damage at about six weeks.
6周左右,肝脏会严重损伤
There was one prior subject who went first, and complications...
已经有个较早的实验对象,出现并发症...
Please don't look at me as if...
别这样看着我
What could possibly have impelled you to delude these people?
到底为什么,让你这样去欺骗这些病人
You can't understand.
你不清楚
It takes years to get a drug approved.
药物审核要持续好几年
And when you spend your life,
当你花了毕生的精力
I thought, the company thought...
我以为,公司以为
that we had the next polio vaccine or penicillin.
这将是下一代的,小儿麻痹疫苗,青霉素
Except your penicillin turned out to be a poison.
可惜你们的青霉素却变成了毒药
But as soon as we discovered it, the company shut the study down.
但我们察觉后,公司就立即将研究停掉了
That's why Mrs. Hewitt was taken off the drug she thinks was SV-113,
所以休伊特夫人被剔除了,从她以为的SV-113试验中
to prevent liver failure.
为了防止肝功能衰竭
So you're a therapist.
这么说你是临床心理学家
De facto therapist.
实际上算是
I'm really a flight attendant, but everybody tells me their problems.
我是个空姐,人人都来向我倾诉烦恼
Well, do you solve them?
那么,你帮忙解决了吗?
I do, actually.
事实上,是的
Well, tell me mine.
好,那来说说我的吧
I'm sorry?
什么?
My problem.
我的麻烦
What am I lamenting at this very moment?
此时此刻,我正烦恼什么呢?
I'm embarrassed to say, actually.
这个,我不大好说
I insist. Tell me.
一定要说,告诉我
You're wishing your girlfriend looked like me.
你希望自己的女朋友,能像我一样漂亮
Keep going.
继续
You hate your job.
你讨厌你的工作
Which is?
什么工作呢?
I want to say accountant,
我本想说会计师
but I'm going to say lawyer.
但想想还是说律师吧
Am I that obvious?
有那么明显?
I meet lawyers all the time. They fly a lot.
我常遇见律师,他们经常飞来飞去
They're constantly in distress over all the horrible things
他们经常被讨厌的事情困扰
they have to do for their horrible clients.
为讨厌的客户工作
What are you working on right now?
现在你正忙什么案子?
A horrible case for a horrible client.
一个讨厌的客户的讨厌案子
It's age discrimination.
年龄歧视
Mm. Plaintiff or defense?
原告还是被告
Defense.
被告
Ooh, bad boy. oh
小坏蛋
Mm-hmm. Indeed.
的确
Whistle-blower? Yes.
举报人?是的
Now, there are all sorts of protections
现在,保护措施有很多种
avail yourself of should you decide to...
你可以选择有利于自己的...
Hold on a second.
等一下
you're advising a witness to turn state's evidence against your own client?
你在建议对你客户不利的证词?
I am.
正是
Look, I was the one who pushed the study.
推进计划的人是我
I was the one who put those people on that drug.
让人服药的也是我
And I suspect you were motivated by the drug's promise,
我猜想你的动因是药物的前景
while your employer was motivated by greed.
而你的雇主则是因为贪婪
Can't you get disbarred for advising me to...
你不会被取消律师资格吗?
Undoubtedly.
毫无疑问
And should you lose your license,
而你也会被吊销医生执照
we could run off to Bali together and become bartenders.
我们就能一起逃到巴厘岛,做酒保
My life is here...
我的一生都在这...
in medicine.
在医药里
Yes.
是的
And you are in a unique position to remind your employer.
你将是一个特殊的角色,提醒你的雇主
They, too, are in the business of medicine, not simply profit.
他们也是做医药的,不是只为利润那么简单
You need to blow the whistle,
你必须去揭发
and what's more, you want to.
更何况,你也会想要去
It's a holly, jolly Christmas.
这是神圣快乐的圣诞节
best time of the year.
一年中最好的日子
I don't know if there'll be snow but have a cup of cheer.
我不知道会不会下雪,不过开心一点
It's a holly, jolly Christmas.
这是神圣快乐的圣诞节
and when you walk down the street
当你走在街道上
say hello to friends you know and everyone you meet.
向遇到的每位朋友问好
Hey.

Denny?
丹尼?
Set to go?
准备走了?
What are you doing?
你在做什么?
Oh, some office Christmas party next week, I do a number.
噢,下周有些办公室圣诞派对,我会献点丑
It's good for morale, helps get me laid.
这可以提高士气,也让我泡到马子
Are we off to court?
我们要去法庭了吗?
Actually, I have a feeling court won't be going forward today.
事实上我感觉,今天的庭审不会有进展
What do you mean?
什么意思?
Did something happen?
有事发生?
Was I in the room when it happened?
是我在房间的时候发生的?
It seems our client is guilty of a little noncompliance as well.
似乎我们的专家证人,才是违反协议的人
The actual test that...
实验其实是...
We represent big drug company. I'm with you.
我们代理的是大型医药公司,继续
Big drug company tell patients they take one pill while slipping them another.
公司告诉病人吃一种药,却给了他们另外一种
You know this how?
你怎么知道的?
Evidently, our expert witness comes armed
很明显,我们的专家证人心里
not only with details, but a conscience. She told me.
不仅有真相,还有良心,她告诉我的
I believe she plans to tell the FDA. Whoa.
我相信她会告诉FDA 哇喔
Whistle-blower.
告密者
Did you tell her to whistle-blow?
你叫她揭发的?
I might have mentioned it.
我可能提及过的
Do you know how much this client is worth to this firm...
你知道这客户,对公司有多重要吗?
and to me, personally?
还有对我,个人而言
Nuts.
胡说八道
I knew there was something I forgot to consider.
我承认有些地方思考不周
Where is this woman?
那女人在哪?
Hopefully, with the U.S. attorney by now.
希望在检察官那里
Oh, I'm sorry. Mr. Shore, there's a Dr. Gerard waiting in reception. Oh
不好意思,肖尔先生,杰勒德医生在接待处,哦
Send her in.
叫她进来
That's all right. I'll go and greet her...
不用,我去见她
Send the woman in here.
让那女的进来
Here's good.
这里也不错
Oh Tara
哦,塔拉
we have a pre-trial conference set on Mcnamara at 2:00.
两点我们在麦克纳马拉有审前会议
How are you and Sally doing...
你和萨莉进展如何?
Remember the document that said that Mcnamara
记不记文件里写到麦克纳马拉
was incorporated in "19-efficiency-3,"
与"19-efficiency-3"相关
we thought it was a typo?
我们以为是印刷问题
Yeah. Well, code broken.
是的,噢,代码破解了
They had a plan called the 40 factor,
他们有个40原则
which was designed to phase out workers who were 40 and older.
即逐步淘汰40岁以上的雇员
And replace them with younger employees
然后用便宜的年轻雇工取代
who would cost the company less.
减少公司的花费
Right.

They actually described the plan in memoranda
他们在备忘录里提到这计划
which were archived on the company's hard drives.
就存档在公司硬盘里
Gotta love the hubris.
太爱他们的狂妄自大了
But they then got nervous and did a search and replace
但后来他们紧张了,编辑,查找,替代
to substitute the word "efficiency" for "40."
用,"efficiency"替代,"40"
And "1943" became "19-efficiency-3."
而"1943"就变成了"19-efficiency-3"
Exactly.
非常正确
How did you find this out?
你是怎么发现的呢?
I had drinks with opposing counsel last night.
昨天晚上我和对方律师喝酒了
Quite a talker. Wait a second.
他是个快嘴,等等
He admitted this to you?
是他透露给你的?
Well, actually, he admitted it to a flight attendant.
呃,确切的说,他告诉的是一个空姐
He didn't know that I was an attorney for the other side.
他不知道我是另一方的律师
We're not smiling.
我们没在笑
Why are we not smiling?
我们为什不开怀大笑?
Tara, we can't use this information. Tara
我们不能用这个信息
I beg your pardon?
什么?
You tricked another attorney into violating privilege.
你设计让一个律师,违背了保密协议
You can't do that.
你不能这么做
Last week, you impersonated a doctor.
上周你还不是假扮医生
First, that was different.
首先,它们不能混为一谈
Second, the stakes were life and death.
其次,那次攸关生死
Lori... and third, I was wrong.
洛里,最后,是我做错了
In retrospect, I would never do it again.
回到从前,我绝不会再那么做
Well, we have the information, Lori.
可是,信息我们已经到手了,洛里
So, if it's a matter of ethics,
所以,从职业道德来说
we absolutely have to tell the client that we have it.
我们必须告诉委托人这件事
I just don't think I can do it. Because?
我只是觉得我做不出来,为什么?
Alan, these people have been very good to me for 10 years.
艾伦,这些人和我有10年的友谊
Now, by people, you mean these corporate people
这些人,你指的是那些你合作的
who jeopardize public health
用严重危害公众健康
and safety on a massive scale in order to line their pockets?
和大众安全,来填满自己腰包的人
They were convinced we had a possible cure based on my representations.
他们是因为我的陈述,才相信我们可能会找到治疗方法
I would as soon blow the whistle on myself rather than...
与其告密,我还不如把自己供出去...
Do that then.
那就这样做
And what good would come of it, really?
这样做有什么用处?
May I express a thought?
能说说我的看法吗?
I so rarely get one.
我难得有个想法
And I should preface this by admitting that
首先我要承认
I'm so far up the ass of big business, I view the world as one giant colon.
一直以来,我替大公司做牛做马,见惯了世间肮脏
You're right to prioritize loyalty, doctor.
把忠诚放在首位没错,医生
Loyalties count for something. Denny, please.
忠诚有它的价值,丹尼,请你
I'm speaking, Alan.
我正在讲话呢,艾伦
Doctors like science, right? They do the math.
医生们喜欢科学,对吗?他们会计算
Well, do the math on whistle-blowing.
那么,在告密上盘算一下
Nice concept, in theory.
理论上,是个很好的概念
Appeals to the altruistic inner self and all that,
呼唤内心公正无私什么的
but whistle-blowers end up penniless and ostracized.
但告密者的结局通常是,一文不名,遭到排挤
This thing'll take years to get to court
事情要拖几年才能上庭
while your life will be ruined tomorrow. Denny, I can...
但你的生活明天就会毁于一旦,丹尼,我可以...
If Alan Shore suggests that you won't get hurt far worse than your company,
如果艾伦·肖尔告诉你,公司的损失要远多于你
he's lying.
那他是在说谎
What's going on?
发生什么事
Our client is violating at least a half a dozen criminal laws
我们的委托人至少,违反了半打的法律
by secretly testing an unapproved drug,
私自进行未经批准的药物试验
which causes liver failure, by the way,
会引起肝功能衰竭
on unwitting human guinea pigs.
还用不知情的人当实验的豚鼠
Dr. Gerard is considering whether to go public.
杰勒德医生在考虑是否要公之于众
I'm for it, Denny's against.
我赞同,丹尼反对
Do you have a vote?
你的意见呢?
You seem like a man with a scintilla of morality.
你看上去是个很道德的人
Alan, my vote's the only one that counts.
艾伦,我是唯一能说了算的人
And I'm not going public.
而且我也不准备公诸于众
You say that as if you have a choice, doctor.
那是你有选择权的话
You see, the only way our client wins here is with your testimony.
你看,我们的委托人要胜诉,只有靠你的证词
So, the clerk will swear you in you'll take an oath to god.
因此,庭上你会被要求对上帝发誓
But as a scientist,
但是作为科学家
you are bound to an even higher standard.
你被要求以更高的标准
To believe in god, all you need is faith.
信奉上帝,你需要的是信仰
To believe in science, you need to see the truth.
信奉科学,你必须发现真相
You need to speak the truth, am I right?
你必须说出真相,对吗?
If asked certain questions under oath,
如果我在你宣誓后提出某些问题
you will answer truthfully because that's who you are.
你会真实回答,因为那才是你
You don't know me,
你并不了解我
and you would never ask me questions that would torpedo your own case.
你也不会问那些问题,危害你自己案子的
Ah, it seems it's you that doesn't know me.
啊,看来是你不了解我
Isn't it exciting?
令人期待,不是吗
It's absolutely unethical, Tara, for god's sakes.
这绝对完全的违反职业道德,塔拉
Please don't lecture me.
请别对我说教
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a lecture when it's called for.
嘿,需要的时就该教训
Attorneys at Crane, Poole & Schmidt do not go undercover as stewardesses
克兰,普尔和施密特事务所的律师,不会伪装成空姐
to circumvent privilege.
不择手段达到目的
It is fraud, it is wrong, it is dishonest,
这是欺诈,错误,是不诚实
it holds every member of this firm up to disrepute.
这让公司的每一个人,都会信誉受损
Breathe. And what's more,
呼吸,更有甚者
it hurts other clients at this firm, mine, Paul's, Lori's.
这会伤害到公司的其他客户,我的,保罗的,洛里的
How? Breathe.
为什么? 呼吸
Our reputation for fair dealing is at play at every settlement conference,
我们公平公正的声誉,存在于每个庭外调解会议
every motion, every trial.
每个动议,每个审判
If that reputation is compromised, the stain runs to all cases, not just...
一旦受到损害,将祸及所有的案子,不只是...
Breathe. Will you stop telling me to breathe?
呼吸,别再告诉我呼吸
I know how and when to breathe!
我懂怎么,什么时候呼吸
This is about Alan Shore.
这是因为Alan Shore
This is about some not-so-latent hostility.
很明显这是迁怒
You're out of line. You're out of line.
你过界了,你才脱线
You fancy the pants off Alan Shore,
你暗恋艾伦·肖尔
so as long as we're preaching honesty,
既然我们在讨论诚实
let's be truthful about that.
那就让彼此坦诚点
You know something, Tara?
塔拉,你知道的
This does involve Alan.
这的确和艾伦有关
What happened in that bar last night?
昨晚在酒吧发生了什么事?
you heard opposing counsel on his cell phone,
你看见反方律师在讲电话
you sensed an incredible opportunity,
你觉得是千载难逢的机会
and you asked yourself, "what would Alan Shore do?"
你问你自己,"艾伦·肖尔会怎么做?"
And you likely did what he would have done.
然后你就按他的风格做了
Oh, and you've never done that, say, last week?
噢,你就没这样过?比如上周
No, I did.
是的,我做了
And as I said, I was wrong.
而且如我承认的,我做错了
That's all. You can go.
就这样,你可以走了
What are you gonna do?
你准备怎么办?
Haven't decided.
还没决定
Well, you can't not use... I haven't decided, Tara.
呃,你不能不用... 我还没决定,塔拉
You're dismissed.
你可以离开了
Well, I'm sorry I lost my cool,
噢,抱歉我失去了冷静
but you handled that perfectly.
但你处理得很好
Thank you.
谢谢
Did that have anything to do with Alan?
会不会真和艾伦有关?
How does he do it?
他是怎么做到的?
No matter what I do, no matter what anyone else says,
无论我做了什么,无论其他人说什么
it's always about Alan.
总能扯上艾伦
It's just a question.
只是随便问问
I should be the example for the young associates around here, not him.
我才该是那些新人效仿的榜样,而不是艾伦
Well, Tara is Alan's girlfriend.
噢,塔拉是艾伦的女朋友
Why is that?
为什么会这样?
I mean, why is she interested in him?
我是说,她怎么会对他有兴趣呢?
I ask you.
我想知道
Do you fancy Tara, Brad?
你是不是暗恋塔拉,布拉德?
No, I'm just speaking in general terms, all the women here.
不,我指的是这里所有的女人
Yeah, you keep saying all the women, Yeah
你一直在说所有的女人
but who specifically, Brad?
但有谁是特别的吧,布拉德?
You're missing the point.
话题扯远了
ok

And the point is?
那么,重点是?
I defuse a human bomb.
比如我解决了个人体炸弹
Does anyone say, "oh, are you okay, Brad?"
有没有人说过一句,“你没事吧,布拉德?”
"Nice job saving lives, Brad."
“干得漂亮啊,Brad”
No, it's "Tara circumvented privilege because she's sleeping with Alan."
没有,只是在说"塔拉会投机取巧,是因为和艾伦睡过觉”
I'm the only one talking about Tara and privilege.
只是我在这么说
Is this about me?
是因为我吗?
We're buddies, Brad.
我们是兄弟,布拉德
Talk to me.
告诉我
ok

I'd like to be more than buddies.
我希望我们不只是兄弟
I don't bring it up because...
我以前没说是因为...
I sense it's something that you're not interested in pursuing.
我觉得你不会有兴趣发展
OK
好的
Is it something you'd like to pursue?
那你有没点兴趣呢?
Um,

no.
没有
Right.
好的
Anyway,
不管怎样
you handled the meeting well.
你刚才处理得很好
You surprised me, Denny. I thought you'd be with me on this.
我没想到,丹尼,我以为你会支持我
There's a deeper principle involved here, Alan.
其中自有道理,艾伦
Which is?
什么?
Fishing.
钓鱼
There's a fishing lodge in British columbia. It's called Nemo bay.
在英属哥伦比亚省,有家可供垂钓的旅馆,Nemo湾
Best fishing lodge in the world.
是世界上最好的钓鱼旅馆
In the great bear rain forest.
坐落在大熊雨林,
How does this lodge affect...
这和旅馆有什么关...
Want to buy it.
我要买下它
Costs lots of money.
那要花很多钱
If I lose this client, I might not be able to buy it.
如果失去这个客户,我可能就买不起了
You have plenty of money. Yes, to buy other things.
你有很多钱,对,不过是买其他东西的
This case, this client is earmarked for this fishing lodge.
这个案子,这个客户的钱,是用来买那家旅馆的
Well, if I can't convince you,
呃,如果我不能说服你
I guess I can't convince you.
我猜我是不能了
Alan, I'll ask Dr. Gerard the questions this afternoon.
艾伦,下午由我来向杰勒德医生发问
I've prepared the direct.
我准备好了问题
I'll ask her the questions.
我会问她问题
I'm questioning the doctor.
我来问
No, you aren't. Yes, I am.
不,你不能,我可以的
No, you aren't. Yes, I am.
不,你不能,我可以的
No. Yes.
不行,可以
No. Yes.
不行,可以
This time, I will cast a vote.
这次,我要发表意见了
Let me make this simple for you, Mr. Shore.
让我们把复杂事情简单化,肖尔先生
Please, call me Alan. I feel we've grown close.
请叫我艾伦,我感觉我们已经挺熟了
You will be present in court at the table
你将出席庭审
because your sudden absence would send
因为你的突然缺席会让,陪审团觉得奇怪
a strange message to the jury that might compromise our case,
那样的话对我们的案子不利
but Denny will ask the questions.
但是会由丹尼发问
If you attempt to ask the witness anything at all,
如果你仍试图问证人任何问题
you will be fired.
你将被炒鱿鱼
There's a legal term for this.
这有法定的专门用词
Ah, yes. Ooh.
啊,对了,喔?
This is not puffery on my part, Mr. Shore.
我可不是在胡说,肖尔先生
I have spoken with other senior partners.
我和其他合伙人商量过了
We are in agreement. The votes are in.
达成了一致,这就是决定
If you attempt to undermine our case in any way,
如果你企图破坏我们的案子
your employment will be terminated.
你的合约将被中止
In that event, I will go to cable.
那样的话,我就上电视
Denny, you and I should go open our own firm.
丹尼,我们该去开自己的公司
I'll ask the questions, Alan.
我来发问,艾伦
I'll leave you with this one last thought, then.
那我就会彻底鄙视你和你的那句
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Hey.

Hi.

The lawyer from Mcnamara,
麦克纳马拉的律师
the guy Tara duped, he'll be in here at 2:00.
被塔拉骗的那个,他下午2点会到
I've summoned Tara as well.
我也通知了塔拉
I'll try to iron things out a little.
我尽量让事情圆满解决
That's good.
很好
If you could make it, then...
如果你能有时间,那么...
Fine. 2:00 P.M.
好的,14点
Would you mind looking at me for a second?
你能不能抬头看看我?
You and I have a big murder trial scheduled for next week.
我们下周有个谋杀案要开审
Are we gonna be okay?
我们之间没问题吧?
We're fine.
很好
Do you plan to speak to me in marine talk forever?
你是不是准备一直用这种,陆战队方式跟我说话?
No, sir.
不,长官
sir.
长官
You're a great guy. You're a smart guy, an attractive guy.
你是个好人,很聪明,也很有魅力
Any girl... Meeting's at 2:00.
任何女孩子...2点,会议
Right.
是的
2:00.
2点
Do you even know what to ask?
你知道要问什么吗?
Did she examine the plaintiff?
她检查过原告吗?
Did she feel the plaintiff complied with the study protocol?
她认为原告是否遵守了实验协议?
She'll answer yes or no.
她只会回答是或不是
We'll get into a bunch of rhetoric about the need for safeguards,
我们会弄一堆关于安全,谨慎的花言巧语
and then we'll go have a cheesesteak.
然后我们去吃个芝士牛肉包
Denny Crane And you can live with yourself?
丹尼·克兰,这样你能心安理得吗?
Arms out, please.
请张开双臂
Oh, this isn't mine.
这不是我的
Why would I be carrying around an ice pick?
我为什么要带根冰凿?
Please empty out all your pockets, sir.
请掏出所有口袋里的东西,先生
Alan!
艾伦!
You'll need to open your briefcase, sir.
你得打开公文包,先生
Do you know who I am?
你知道我是谁吗?
You'll need to open your case.
打开你的包
Alan! Can you step this way, sir?
艾伦!先生,请跟我来
What, are you gonna check my shoes for bombs?
什么?要查我鞋底的炸药啊?
Sir, it's a federal offense to joke about
先生,在安检站开玩笑说
possessing explosives at a security checkpoint.
携带炸药是联邦重罪
I've gotta get upstairs.
我必须要上楼去
Take off your shoes, sir.
脱下你的鞋子,先生
Where's Denny?
丹尼在哪?
He got held up. Not to worry.
他被耽搁了,别担心
Mr. Shore, are we ready to proceed?
肖尔先生,我们可以开始了吗?
We are, your honor.
可以了,法官大人
The defense calls Dr. Amanda Gerard.
辩方要求传唤阿曼德·杰勒德医生
We're at the part where you swear under oath.
要到你宣誓的时刻了
Okay, let's evacuate in an orderly fashion, please.
请大家有序退场
It is against the law to pull fire alarms, sir.
先生,这样按火警铃是违法的
My hand slipped.
我不小心手滑了
Tell judge Wallace in division three, I need to see him in his chambers now.
告诉三分区的华莱士法官,我要单独见他
What kind of nonsense is this?
这是什么乱七八糟的?
You put an ice pick in his pocket,
你在他口袋里放了根冰凿
and a picture of Saddam Hussein?
还有萨达姆的照片?
You pull a fire alarm?
你按了火警?
We're at odds as to how to proceed with a witness.
我们对怎样处理一个证人有分歧
Yes, I heard that.
是的,我听说了
You're supposed to be adults, for god's sake.
你们都成年了,看在上帝的份上
You're lawyers. And on the same side at that!
而且你们是律师,还是同一方的
Your honor, there are unusual circumstances in play.
法官大人,情况有些特殊
I'm interested in truth and justice, my colleague favors a fishing lodge.
我选择真相和公正,而我的同事只对钓鱼旅馆感兴趣
Look, I don't give a damn what your differences are.
瞧,我不管你们有什么该死的区别
First off, your firm is fined $50,000.
首先,你们公司被罚款5万美金
What? Second, whatever either of you do in that courtroom,
什么? 然后,无论哪个在法庭再惹麻烦
you both get held responsible.
两人同时承担责任
You understand me?
你们明白我说的了吗?
Third, Mr. Crane, since you're the named partner, and it is your client,
最后,克兰先生,因为你是公司合伙人,而这又是你的客户
I'll let you have the floor.
我会让你发言
Your honor, I have prepared...
法官大人,我已经准备好了...
You will keep your mouth shut, Mr. Shore.
肖尔先生,你给我闭嘴
Now, let's get back inside.
现在,我们回去
Please have a seat, Tara.
请坐,塔拉
Tara?
塔拉?
All right, what's, what's going on?
这是怎么回事?
We have a situation, Mr. Barr.
我们遇到麻烦了,巴尔先生
Tara is an attorney who works for this firm.
塔拉是这个公司的律师
Thinking she worked for the airlines,
你以为她是个空姐
you gave her information about an efficiency
并告诉了她一些信息
factor employed by your client.
关于你的委托人用的“efficiency”
This would be considered privileged information.
这理当属于机密资料
I never revealed who my client was.
我从来没透露过委托人是谁
We already knew who the client was.
我们已经知道谁是委托人了
Oh, my god, oh, my god.
噢,天哪,噢,我的上帝
Both you and Ms. Wilson, that's her real last name, Wilson.
你和威尔逊小姐,哦,那是她的真姓,威尔逊
Both you and she have committed serious violations.
你和她都违反了不少规定
You would likely lose your job and get a suspension.
你会被解雇,还会被停牌
You would get worse.
你会更惨
It would be in the best interest of all if this situation didn't become public.
最好的选择就是这件事情不被揭发
My problem, as Tara correctly points out,
我的麻烦是,就像塔拉指出的
is having the information.
我掌握这个信息
I have an obligation to at least tell my clients,
就有义务至少告知我的当事人
who undoubtedly would elect to use it.
而对方毫无疑问会大加利用
But I also have an obligation to safeguard privilege,
但我也有义务维护保密特权
even when it's on the other side. So, as I said, we've got a situation.
即使不利于我方,所以,正如我说的,我们都有麻烦
Where we last left off in settlement discussions,
我们在调解中曾经谈到
our number was 3.2 million, yours was 2.1.
我方开价是320万,你们是210万
The deal probably makes somewhere in the middle.
折中应该能成交
My proposal to you, Mr. Barr, is we settle it at 3.
所以我向你建议,300万
I don't think I could ever sell it.
我没法去说服其他人
You sell it by telling your client and colleagues
你能,告诉你的客户和同事
that the opposing side knows about the efficiency factor.
对方知道了“efficiency”法则
We've broken the code. How we found out, we won't reveal.
我们破解了密码,怎么破的,我们会闭口不提
That protects you and protects Tara.
这样保护了你,还有塔拉
And you profit from her deception.
然后你们靠她的欺骗得益
We profit somewhat from her deception,
我们得益来自她的欺骗
combined with your stupidity.
和你的愚蠢
But if we really wanted to exploit this, we'd go to trial and tell a jury,
但如果我们真的公之于众,我们会要开庭审理,然后告诉陪审团
which, technically, I should advise my clients to do.
技术上讲,我该如此建议我的委托人
Yes, our side profits some.
我们是会得益少许
Your side gets off with a pretty mild number, given the smoking gun.
而你们也能扔掉一个烫手山芋
And you two get off with your careers.
而你们俩也能继续自己的事业
Now, if you have a better proposal,
那么,如果你有更好的建议
I'm listening.
说出来听听
It wasn't just my determination,
这不仅仅是我的决定
but the consensus of all the treating doctors.
是所有试验医生一致同意的
Mrs. Hewitt was smoking.
休伊特夫人在抽烟
And others were excluded, too, right?
其他人也被排除了,是吗
Yes, 56 others.
是的,其他56人
It is common to weed out subjects as you go along
排除实验对象很正常
in order to protect the integrity of the study.
这是为了保证研究的完整性
And this was all about the integrity of the study?
只是为了保证研究的完整性?
Yes.
是的
I believe you. You strike me as an honest woman.
我相信你,你的诚实打动了我
Do you believe in god, doctor?
你相信上帝吗,doctor?
I do.
是的
"God is my witness" is what is says in the oath.
"以上帝的名义" 发誓时会常会说
I like to think god watches over me, too.
我也常常想上帝正看着我
Except, of course, in the privacy of my bedroom committing lewd acts.
当然,除了我在卧室干那猥琐勾当
Mr Crane!
克兰先生!
Uh, you're a scientist, right, doctor?
呃,你是个科学家,是吗,医生?
You believe in facts, the truth?
你相信事实,真相?
Yes. Good,
是的,很好
will you tell the court
那请你告诉法庭
exactly why Marybeth Hewitt was removed from the trial of SV-113?
究竟为什么玛丽贝斯·休伊特,被SV-113试验排除了?
I just did.
我已经说过了
You said smoking.
你说因为抽烟?
The plaintiff obviously believes that to be a pretext.
原告认为这是托辞
I'm asking you to declare it one more time
我请你再清楚的说一次
before god, the judge, Mr. Shore, me...
对着上帝,法官,肖尔先生,我...
the truth.
说出真相
Why was she taken off the study?
她为什么被排除?
She was taken off...
她是被...
a different study.
另一个试验排除的
Excuse me?
什么?
Mrs. Hewitt unknowingly was part of a secret test
休伊特夫人在不知情的状态下,参与了一个秘密研究
involving a drug unapproved for study.
一个未经批准的药物试验
When it was discovered that this drug caused liver failure,
当发现这种药物将,引发肝功能衰竭
she and the 56 others on it
她和另外56个试验者
were taken off.
被停止试验了
Uh, your honor, this is obviously an unexpected development.
嗯,法官大人,这是意料外的情况
I need some time to confer with my client.
我需时间来和我的委托人沟通
I thought she'd stick to the story.
我以为她会按原先的说词
I threw her the biggest softball I could, right down the middle of the plate.
我在中场传给了她一个好球
All she had to do was reemphasize it was smoking.
她只要再强调一次,是抽烟
What happens now?
现在怎么办?
What happens now?
现在怎么办?
The peat moss hits the fan, you lying bastard. We're dead.
满盘皆输,你个说谎的混蛋,我们玩完了
Did you elicit that testimony intentionally?
你是故意引导出这样的证词吧?
What? Of course not.
什么?当然不是了
You know me, Paul.
你了解我的,保罗
I'm not what I once was.
我已不是曾经的我了
Doctor.
医生
Please don't say you're proud of me.
别说你以我为傲
They're gonna bring criminal charges against you.
你还会有场刑事指控
How about if I say I'll defend you?
我来做你的辩护律师如何?
Really, and what's my defense?
我还有什么好辩护的?
You were misguided by the best and the worst of intentions.
你只是被自己的善意蒙蔽了双眼
This will all be over within a year.
官司最多一年结束
A year is too long. My liver is failing.
一年太长,我的肝在衰竭
I was the first subject.
我是第一个试验者
I began the trial ahead of the others.
在别人前我就开始了
That's how we discovered the side effects.
所以我才发现了药物的副作用
A year's too long for me.
我没有一年
But thanks for the offer.
但还是谢谢你
It's a holly, jolly Christmas.
这是神圣快乐的圣诞节
It's the best,
是最好的
It's the best...
最好的
It's the, oh, screw it.
噢,该死
Hmm.

It's a holly...
神圣的...
Nice performance today, Denny.
今天干得真不错,丹尼
I don't know what you're talking about.
不知道你在说什么
You could have ever so slightly tipped me off.
你该给我点小小的暗示
It would have saved a lot of aggravation.
不至于搞得那么僵
Oh, please.
噢,拜托
If I had included you with so much as a wink, you'd be canned.
我要是给你使眼色传消息,你会被解雇的
We lost the client.
我们没了客户
Well,
这个
there are lesser fishing lodges.
钓鱼旅馆越来越少了
No repercussions from Lewiston?
刘易斯顿那没问题?
I'm Denny Crane.
我是丹尼·克兰
As far as he knows,
就他现在所知
I played it straight.
我没耍花样
You know, they can never tell whether I know what I'm doing or not.
你知道的,他们永远猜不透,我知不知道自己在干嘛
Yes.
是的
Can you tell?
你自己知道吗?
Not really.
不太知道
Every once in a while, just to keep them guessing,
时不时的,就让他们去猜吧
I stick a cigar in my ear.
我在耳朵里插根烟
Do I look silly?
我像傻子吗?
Try it.
你也试试
We look good together.
我们看上去很配
Yes, we do.
是的,很配

分享到
重点单词
  • honestyn. 诚实,正直
  • ethicsn. 道德规范
  • suevt. 控告,起诉 vi. 请求,追求,起诉
  • hubrisn. 傲慢,骄傲
  • partnern. 搭档,伙伴,合伙人 v. 同 ... 合作,做 .
  • affectvt. 影响,作用,感动
  • participatevt. 分享 vi. 参加,参与
  • mildadj. 温和的,柔和的
  • licensen. 执照,许可证,特许 vt. 允许,特许,发许可证给
  • trackn. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲 v. 跟踪,追踪