看电影《姐姐的守护者》学英语第20期:各执一词
日期:2014-01-12 22:19

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

What's with the dog?
这狗是做什么的?
He's a service dog. Your Honor.
他是只服务犬,法官阁下
DE SALVO: Well. please make sure he behaves himself.
好吧,请确保他表现检点
l just had these carpets cleaned. CAMPBELL: Yes. ma'am.
我刚打扫过地毯 - 是,夫人
Good to see you. Sara. l wasn't aware you were practicing.
见到你很高兴,Sara 我没有意识到你也是干律师这行的
l wasn't planning to. Your Honor. but the complainant is my daughter.
我没有计划过这事,法官阁下,但是原告是我的女儿
What's this about. counselor?
这个案子是关于什么的,律师?
be medically emancipated from her parents.
可以从她的父母那儿得到医学自由
Mrs. Fitzgerald's youngest child wishes to...
Fitzgerald夫人的小女儿希望
There's no legal definition of medical emancipation...
在加利福尼亚州
not in the state of California.
并没有有关医学自由的法律解释
lt's one of those New Age terms that Mr. Alexander has latched onto.
这是Alexander先生自己定义的新条款吧
Yes. l'm well aware of Mr. Alexander's reputation.
是的,我很清楚Alexander先生的名声
He once tried to sue God in my courtroom.
他曾经在我的法庭上打算起诉上帝
Did sue. Your Honor.
已经起诉了,法官阁下
Jerome Dylan v. the Diocese of California.
Jerome Dylan起诉加利福尼亚州主教
And l won that one. - l remember. So?
而且我赢了 - 我记得,所以呢?
So Mr. Alexander wants you to change the law.
所以Alexander先生希望你更改法律
An 1 1 -year-old can't be emancipated. at least not legally.
十一岁的孩子不能是自由的,最起码在法律上不是
She loves her parents and wants to live at home.
她爱她的父母,愿意住在家里
My client is not seeking to be emancipated.
我的当事人不是寻求完全的自由
She doesn't wanna be cut open anymore.
她只是不愿意再被切开了
Yes. l read the complaint. What is it exactly that you're after?
是的,我读了诉状,你究竟要寻求什么?
DE SALVO: All right. Very smart.
很对,很明智
Limited termination of parental rights.
限制性终止父母权利
Very creative. l assume you have precedent?
很有创造力,我想你有先例?
Yes. Planned Parenthood v. Danforth.
是的,计生联合会起诉Danforth一案
Mature minor doctrine: Smith v. Seibly. Agrello v. Florida.
成熟未成年人原则:Smith起诉Seibly一案 Agrello起诉Florida一案
And defense is moving for summary dismissal?
被告要求驳回诉讼?
SARA: Yes. Today. if possible.
是的,就在今天,如果可能的话
Anna's too young to make a decision of this size on her own.
Anna太小了,不能自己做出如此重大的决定
She doesn't understand what it is she wants.
她不懂她要的是什么
She's 1 1 years old. She changes her mind every five minutes.
她才十一岁大,五分钟就会变一次主意
You know how young girls can be.
你知道小女孩是什么样子
Oh. my God. l'm so sorry. l....
噢,天啊,我很抱歉,我
The best interests of the child. Your Honor.
孩子的最高利益,法官阁下
Mr. Alexander?
Alexander先生
All right. Well. l need to see Anna. Is she here?
是的,好,我要见见Anna,她在这儿吗?
SARA: Yes. but l was really hoping to keep her out of it.
是,但是我真的希望她不要涉及进来
Keep her out of it? Mrs. Fitzgerald. you just told me your daughter...
不要涉及她?Fitzgerald夫人,你刚刚告诉我...
doesn't fully understand what she wants.
你女儿不完全理解她要什么
lf you want a decision today...
如果你今天要裁决
l need to find that out. Do you have a problem with that. counselor?
我就要弄明白 律师,你有异议吗?
None whatsoever. - All right. Well. please send her in.
一点也不 - 好的,把她带进来吧
CAMPBELL: Thank you. Your Honor.
多谢,法官阁下


妙语佳句

1.emancipate from
使不受束缚;解放;摆脱
The monks are praying for a spirit that was once present here, but now is emancipated from its former home.
僧人们在为这个灵魂祈祷,这灵魂曾被带到这里,但是现在它从以前的家里解放出来。

2.make a decision of sth
做出决定
Make a decision of what your reward will be, make it something personal and special.
决定你会得到什么奖励,最好是些私人的、特别的事情。

剧情百科

亚历山大和莎拉终于见到法官德赛弗洛了,但双方各执一词,根本不会有结果,于是法官决定见一见安娜……

考考你 Q&A
Please fill in the blanks with the proper words

1.You might be waiting a while for one of these to ______ ______ at the local bus stop.
或许你正在当地汽车站等待这么一辆车停下来。

2.The operator ______ me ______ on the office line.
接线生给我接通了办公室的电话。

本期答案见下期

上期答案:

1.You might be waiting a while for one of these to pull up at the local bus stop.
或许你正在当地汽车站等待这么一辆车停下来。

2.The operator put me through on the office line.
接线生给我接通了办公室的电话。

分享到
重点单词
  • summaryn. 摘要 adj. 概要的,简略的
  • definitionn. 定义,阐释,清晰度
  • decisionn. 决定,决策
  • creativeadj. 创造性的
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • reputationn. 声誉,好名声
  • courtroomn. 法庭,审判室
  • limitedadj. 有限的,被限制的 动词limit的过去式和过去
  • legaladj. 法律的,合法的,法定的
  • terminationn. 终结,中止,词尾,限制,结果