经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第680期
日期:2020-10-21 08:38

(单词翻译:单击)

It opened slowly: a figure came out into the twilight and stood on the step;

门慢慢地开了。薄暮中一个人影走了出来,站在台阶上。

a man without a hat: he stretched forth his hand as if to feel whether it rained.

一个没有戴帽子的男人。他伸出手仿佛要感觉一下是不是在下雨。

Dusk as it was, I had recognised him -- it was my master, Edward Fairfax Rochester, and no other.

尽管已是黄昏,我还是认出他来了——那不是别人,恰恰就是我主人,爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特。

I stayed my step, almost my breath, and stood to watch him -- to examine him, myself unseen, and alas! to him invisible.

我留住脚步,几乎屏住了呼吸,站立着看他——仔细打量他,而不让他看见,呵,他看不见我。

It was a sudden meeting, and one in which rapture was kept well in check by pain.

这次突然相遇,巨大的喜说已被痛苦所制约。

jane-eyre-1400x788.jpg

I had no difficulty in restraining my voice from exclamation, my step from hasty advance.

我毫不费力地压住了我的嗓音,免得喊出声来,控制了我的脚步,免得急乎乎冲上前去。

His form was of the same strong and stalwart contour as ever:

他的外形依然象往昔那么健壮,

his port was still erect, his heir was still raven black; nor were his features altered or sunk:

腰背依然笔直、头发依然乌黑。他的面容没有改变或者消瘦。

not in one year's space, by any sorrow, could his athletic strength be quelled or his vigorous prime blighted.

任何哀伤都不可能在一年之内消蚀他强劲的力量,或是摧毁他蓬勃的青春。

But in his countenance I saw a change: that looked desperate and brooding --

但在他的面部表情上,我看到了变化。他看上去绝望而深沉——

that reminded me of some wronged and fettered wild beast or bird, dangerous to approach in his sullen woe.

令我想起受到虐待和身陷囹圄的野兽或鸟类,在恼怒痛苦之时,走近它是很危险的。

The caged eagle, whose gold-ringed eyes cruelty has extinguished, might look as looked that sightless Samson.

一只笼中的鹰,被残酷地割去了金色的双眼,看上去也许就像这位失明的参孙。

And, reader, do you think I feared him in his blind ferocity?

读者呀,你们认为,他那么又瞎又凶,我会怕他吗?

-- if you do, you little know me.

——要是你认为我怕,那你太不了解我了。

A soft hope blest with my sorrow that soon I should dare to drop a kiss on that brow of rock,

伴随着哀痛,我心头浮起了温存的希望,那就是很快就要胆大包天,吻一吻他岩石般的额头

and on those lips so sternly sealed beneath it: but not yet.

和额头下冷峻地封闭的眼睑。但时机未到,

I would not accost him yet.

我还不想招呼他呢。

分享到