经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第1期
日期:2015-08-18 17:25

(单词翻译:单击)

Chapter 01
第一章

There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
那天,出去散步是不可能了。
We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning.
其实,早上我们还在光秃秃的灌木林中溜达了一个小时。
But since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre,
但从午饭时起(无客造访时,里德太太很早就用午饭)便刮起了冬日凛冽的寒风,
and a rain so penetrating, that further outdoor exercise was now out of the question.
随后阴云密布,大雨滂沱,室外的活动也就只能作罢了。
I was glad of it.
我倒是求之不得。

简·爱Jane Eyre

I never liked long walks, especially on chilly afternoons:
我向来不喜欢远距离散步,尤其在冷飕飕的下午。
dreadful to me was the coming home in the raw twilight, with nipped fingers and toes, and a heart saddened by the chidings of Bessie,the nurse,
试想,阴冷的薄暮时分回得家来,手脚都冻僵了,还要受到保姆贝茵的数落,
and humbled by the consciousness of my physical inferiority to Eliza, John, and Georgiana Reed.
又自觉体格不如伊丽莎、约翰和乔治亚娜,心里既难过又惭愧,那情形委实可怕。
The said Eliza, John, and Georgiana were now clustered round their mama in the drawing-room.
此时此刻,刚才提到的伊丽莎、约翰和乔治亚娜都在客厅里,簇拥着他们的妈妈。
She lay reclined on a sofa by the fireside, and with her darlings about her (for the time neither quarreling nor crying) looked perfectly happy.
她则斜倚在炉边的沙发上,身旁坐着自己的小宝贝们(眼下既未争吵也未哭叫),一副安享天伦之乐的神态。
Me, she had dispensed from joining the group; saying, 'She regretted to be under the necessity of keeping me at a distance.
而我呢,她恩准我不必同他们坐在一起了,说是她很遗憾,不得不让我独个儿在一旁呆着。
But that until she heard from Bessie, and could discover by her own observation,
要是没有亲耳从贝茜那儿听到,并且亲眼看到,
that I was endeavoring in good earnest to acquire a more sociable and childlike disposition,
我确实在尽力养成一种比较单纯随和的习性,活泼可爱的举止,
a more attractive and sprightly manner- something lighter, franker, more natural.
也就是更开朗、更率直、更自然些。
As it were, she really must exclude me from privileges intended only for contented, happy, little children.
那她当真不让我享受那些只配给予快乐知足的孩子们的特权了。
What does Bessie say I have done?' I asked.
“贝茵说我干了什么啦?”我问。
Jane, I don't like cavilers or questioners; besides, there is something truly forbidding in a child taking up her elders in that manner.
简,我不喜欢吹毛求疵或者刨根究底的人,更何况小孩子家这么跟大人顶嘴实在让人讨厌。
Be seated somewhere; and until you can speak pleasantly, remain silent.
找个地方去坐着,不会和气说话就别张嘴。
A small breakfast-room adjoined the drawing-room, I slipped in there. It contained a bookcase.
客厅的隔壁是一间小小的餐室,我溜了进去。里面有一个书架。
I soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures.
不一会儿,我从上面拿下一本书来,特意挑插图多的。
I mounted into the window-seat. gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged, like a Turk.
爬上窗台,缩起双脚,像土耳其人那样盘腿坐下。
And, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly close, I was shrined in double retirement.
将红色的波纹窗帘几乎完全拉拢,把自己加倍隐蔽了起来。
Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand.
在我右侧,绯红色窗幔的皱褶档住了我的视线。
To the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the drear November day.
左侧,明亮的玻璃窗庇护着我,使我既免受十一月阴沉天气的侵害,又不与外面的世界隔绝。

分享到