经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第183期
日期:2017-03-16 11:27

(单词翻译:单击)

The strangest thing of all was, that not a soul in the house, except me, noticed her habits, or seemed to marvel at them.
最奇怪的是,除了我,房子里没有人注意到她的习惯,或者似乎为此感到诧异。
No one discussed her position or employment.
没有人谈论过她的地位或工作。
No one pitied her solitude or isolation.
没有人可怜她的孤独冷清。
I once, indeed, overheard part of a dialogue between Leah and one of the charwomen, of which Grace formed the subject.
说真的我一次偶尔听到了莉娅和一个打杂女工之间关于格雷斯的一段对话。
Leah had been saying something I had not caught, and the charwoman remarked: "She gets good wages, I guess?"
莉娅先是说了什么话,我没听清楚,而打杂女工回答道:"估计她的薪金很高。"
"Yes," said Leah, "I wish I had as good, not that mine are to complain of,
"是呀,"莉娅说,"但愿我的薪金也这么高。并不是说我的值得抱怨
there's no stinginess at Thornfield, but they're not one fifth of the sum Mrs. Poole receives.
在桑菲尔德谈不上吝啬,不过我拿的薪金才是普尔太太的五分之一。
And she is laying by. She goes every quarter to the bank at Millcote.
她还在存钱呢。一季度要去一次米尔科特的银行。

经典文学《简·爱》

I should not wonder but she has saved enough to keep her independent if she liked to leave.
我一点不怀疑她要是想走的话,积下的钱能够她自立了。
But I suppose she's got used to the place;
不过我想她在这儿已经呆惯了。
And then she's not forty yet, and strong and able for anything.
更何况她还不到四十岁,身强力壮,干什么都还行。
It is too soon for her to give up business."
放弃差事是太早些了。"
"She is a good hand, I dare say," said the charwoman.
"我猜想她是个干活的好手,"打杂女工说。
"Ah! She understands what she has to do, nobody better," rejoined Leah significantly.
"呵,她明白自己该干什么,没有人比得过她" 莉娅意味深长地回答说。
"And it is not every one could fill her shoes — not for all the money she gets."
"不是谁都干得了她活的,就是给了同她一样多的钱也干不了。"
"That it is not!" was the reply. "I wonder whether the master..."
"的确干不了!"对方回答。"不知道老爷..."
The charwoman was going on, but here Leah turned and perceived me, and she instantly gave her companion a nudge.
打杂女工还想往下说,但这时莉娅回过头来,看到了我,便立即用肘子顶了顶她伙伴。
"Doesn't she know?" I heard the woman whisper.
"她知道了吗?"我听见那女人悄悄说。
Leah shook her head, and the conversation was of course dropped.
莉娅摇了摇头,于是谈话嘎然而止。
All I had gathered from it amounted to this, — that there was a mystery at Thornfield;
我从这里所能猜测到的就是这么回事:在桑菲尔德有一个秘密。
And that from participation in that mystery I was purposely excluded.
而我被故意排除在这个秘密之外了。

分享到