(单词翻译:单击)
Marsilius was so pleased with Ganelon's plan that he gave him rich presents.
马西利乌斯对加尼隆的计划非常满意,给他很多礼物 。
Then seven hundred camels, loaded with gold and silver, were sent as a gift to Charlemagne.
于是,七百匹驮着金银的骆驼被作为礼物送到查理曼的营帐 。
Mounting his horse, Ganelon started back to his own camp.
加尼隆上马,返回自己的营地 。
The great Charles was glad to see him and asked what message he brought from Marsilius.
查理曼大帝很高兴见到他,并问他从马西利乌斯那带来了什么消息 。
"Marsilius has sent you seven hundred camels loaded with gold and silver, and he will follow you to France before a month has passed.
“马西利乌斯送给您七百匹驮着金银的骆驼,一个月内,他就会跟随您去往法国 。
He will never again fight against you, but will always obey you."
他再也不会和您对战,永远服从您的指挥 。”
This message pleased the king, and he praised Ganelon.
国王听后很高兴,对加尼隆大加称赞 。
Then a thousand trumpets were sounded, and Charlemagne's great army made ready for the journey to France.
随后,一千只号角被吹响,查理曼大帝的军队准备返回法国 。
Roland's Dangerous Task
罗兰的危险任务
When all was ready, Charlemagne said to his knights: "The mountain pass through which we must go is narrow.
一切就绪后,查理曼大帝对骑士们说:“我们必须经过的山口很窄 。
If the enemy should attack us there, we could neither fight nor escape.
如果敌人在那里袭击我们,我们既不能战斗也不能逃脱 。
Who will stay behind and keep the enemy back until our army has gone through the pass?"
在我军通过关口之前,谁留下来,把敌人挡在后面呢?”
"You have no braver knight than Roland," said Ganelon. "Give him command of the guard."
加尼隆说:“罗兰是最勇敢的骑士,让他指挥守卫军吧 。”
Now Charlemagne did not want to leave Roland behind, but Roland smiled and said, "Gladly will I do this. I thank Ganelon for naming me."
查理曼不想把罗兰抛在身后,但罗兰笑着说:“我很乐意这样做 。我感谢加尼隆指名要我来守卫 。
Charlemagne bowed his head, for he feared that some harm might come to Roland.
查理曼低下了头,因为他担心罗兰会受伤 。
Then Oliver came quickly to Roland's side. "If my comrade stays behind, I will stay with him," he said.
然后奥利弗很快来到罗兰身边,他说:“如果我的战友留下守卫,我要和他一起留下 。”
"And I," cried one after another of the men, until the whole army would have remained with Roland;
“还有我,”士兵们一个接一个地喊道,最后全军都要留在罗兰身边;
but he would allow only twenty thousand soldiers to stay.
但他只允许两万士兵留下来 。