(单词翻译:单击)
“True, but he had been across the plains, had fought Indians, and was more experienced in every way,” was the reply.
“不错,但他曾穿越平原,与印第安人作战,在各方面都更有经验,” 梅杰斯先生答复说 。
“Still, you've been a good boy, attended to your duties faithfully, helped to make the Pony Express successful.
“尽管如此,你一直是个好孩子,尽职尽责,帮助‘快马邮递'取得成功 。
I want to help you along, and merely raising your wages won't do that.
我想帮助你,仅仅提高你的工资是不够的 。
I'll tell you what I'll do.
我会告诉你我要做什么 。
I'll put you in charge of one of the wagons that carries supplies to the relay stations.
我让你负责一辆运送物资到中转站的货车 。
That will give you trail experience, and it'll give you fighting experience, too.
这会给你尝试的经验,也会给你战斗的经验 。
The redskins have been active lately, and scarcely a wagon train has come through without a brush with them.
印第安人最近很活跃,几乎每一列马车都和他们擦肩而过 。
Will that do for the present?
现在这样行吗?
In a year or so, if you make good.
如果你做得好的话,一年左右,
I'll give you a riding job.”
我就给你骑手的职位 。”
With that William was forced to be content.
听了这话,威廉只好心满意足了 。
Once he made the long journey by wagon train to California and back again, with hardly a rest between.
有一次,他乘马车往返加利福尼亚,其间几乎没有休息 。
There were meetings with hostile Indians, both coming and going, and the boy proved a cool, clear-headed fighter.
多次见过敌对的印第安人,来来去去,这个男孩被证明是一个冷静、头脑清醒的战士 。
But still he was denied his dearest wish.
但他仍然没有实现他最热切的愿望 。
“Make one more trip with supplies, and we shall see,” he was told;
“再带着补给品旅行一次,我们再看看,”他们告诉他;
and cheerfully he set about doing it.
他高高兴兴地开始做这件事 。
Already there was a hint of winter in the air.
空气中已经有了一丝冬天的气息 。
The stream of pioneers, westbound, had stopped until spring again made the hardships of life in a prairie schooner more bearable for women and children.
拓荒者的队伍往西走,然后停下来,直到春天再一次使妇女和儿童能忍受草原纵帆船上的艰苦生活 。
Only the Pony Express riders now rode out of St. Joseph with their faces turned toward the golden coast of California.
现在只有“快马邮递”的骑手们离开了圣约瑟夫,他们的脸转向了加利福尼亚的黄金海岸 。